• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Spear user

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Spear user

Postby soppathekeitto » November 19th, 2013, 8:34 am

Hi there last night i got this idea about spear thrower amatsoni woman. I dont know if this is to hard or just lame character but i need your mind
Amatsoni of the kadonnut metsä

AD= 2WD
DD= 2WD
Movement = 2xD6

Mind 4
BP 6
+ 3 skill

I. Throw (only spear and you dont loose the weapon)
-before you can use this skill you need to get
2xD6 = 8 and then throw WD x 2

II. Double attack whit anyweapon only 2 times.
-before you can use this skill you need to get
D6 = 4 and then throw WD x 2 x 2

III. Healing can use only to self restore 1-4 BP
D6 = 5 and then throw WD x 4 (need
shield per BP points

Starting Weapon... Staff(no ability to Throw)
Starting Armour... None

http://puu.sh/5mYH7.png

http://puu.sh/5mYGI.png
Last edited by soppathekeitto on November 20th, 2013, 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Morcar 14 charater killed Character 0 survived the TrialAmatsoni 4 (Quest) survived
http://imageshack.us/g/1/10430133/
soppathekeitto

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: Suomi
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Spear user

Postby TMU » November 19th, 2013, 9:44 am

I think it would be quite hard to get to work. I have always loved simple rules on HQ, so it might just be me :D
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » November 19th, 2013, 11:05 am

Let me see if I get this right.
Is it your actual movement roll you use to determine if you can use the different attacks?

If you roll 8+ you can throw a spear.
If one of the dice is an actual 4 (or 5) you can use the other two skills?
As an extra action or instead of your normal action?

For starters I think the heal spell is grossly OP. Morcar will never win again!

For the spear throw I have a suggestion for a completely revised skill. Take it or leave it ;)
Start your turn by declaring if you want to throw a spear at an enemy.
Make movement roll. 2d6 as normal.
Now you can sacrifice 2 movement as many times as the throw allows.
For each 2 movement you sacrifice you may roll a white die in an attack against your target.
minimum is 1 wd max is 6 wd.
If you choose not to spend all your movement you may still use the remaining amount to actually move.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » November 19th, 2013, 11:48 am

Look up Uhlan.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby soppathekeitto » November 19th, 2013, 1:49 pm

"Goblin-King"]Let me see if I get this right.
Is it your actual movement roll you use to determine if you can use the different attacks?

If you roll 8+ you can throw a spear.
If one of the dice is an actual 4 (or 5) you can use the other two skills?
As an extra action or instead of your normal action?

hmm i dint write it well so basically you hav to say what skill you are trying to use Throw, Double Attack or Heal
if you say you whant to Throw you need to get whith D6x2 = 8 if you dont get that 8 you cant use it so no WDx2 and end of your turn (if you are moved allready)

For starters I think the heal spell is grossly OP. Morcar will never win again!

i was trying to do it so that its difficult to get that D5 and then you need to get :whiteshield: per HP 1-4 + my fiend succested that Morcar can invalidate or overscore it with :blackshield:

For the spear throw I have a suggestion for a completely revised skill. Take it or leave it ;)
Start your turn by declaring if you want to throw a spear at an enemy.
Make movement roll. 2d6 as normal.
Now you can sacrifice 2 movement as many times as the throw allows.
For each 2 movement you sacrifice you may roll a white die in an attack against your target.
minimum is 1 wd max is 6 wd.
If you choose not to spend all your movement you may still use the remaining amount to actually move.

That sound good but that can make throw too OP in my mind. What you think if 3 movement per WD (you can only get 12max with 2xD6) so the max WD is 4
and forgot to mention that starter weapon is staff or wooden spear etc.
Morcar 14 charater killed Character 0 survived the TrialAmatsoni 4 (Quest) survived
soppathekeitto

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » November 19th, 2013, 2:48 pm

Ah okay, I see.
Usually in games like this...

d6 = 4
means exactly 4

d6 = 4+
means 4 or more

Well, my reasoning for wanting to beef up throw is that other classes can just get the crossbow which is free to use and grants 3 wd.
Sacrificing movement (which is supposed to represent running to throw the spear) is a way to make it potentially more powerful, but at a cost. And it's random.
On average you roll a 7 with two red dice. That would allow a strength of 3 wd. Once in a while you get 4 and sometimes only 2 or 1. Only on a roll of double 6 do you get 6 wd.
Personally I don't find an average of 3 wd OP - and you can never expect a great roll when it really matters.

If the price is 3 movement/die the average attack is 2 wd. Then you just want the crossbow.

Now that I get how the heal works, I would still want to change it around a bit.
The problem is that you have a skill that only has 1/3 chance of actually working. If you are in a situation where you actually NEED a heal you can't afford to stand around and re-rolling.
But on the other hand, if it always works it's too OP.
It's hard to make a healing class for HQ!
Maybe make it a "survival" skill instead. Each time she is reduced to 0 BP, roll a dice. Skull = heal 1 BP

Another option would be to make a set of spell/ability cards specifically for her.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » November 19th, 2013, 3:59 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Well, my reasoning for wanting to beef up throw is that other classes can just get the crossbow which is free to use and grants 3 wd.
Sacrificing movement (which is supposed to represent running to throw the spear) is a way to make it potentially more powerful, but at a cost.

I agree, for a spear throwing skill to work, it has to be better than a crossbow.
If sacrificing the movement represents running to throw the spear why not make the Amazon move the squares first to use the skill.
e.g.
When throwing a spear immediately after moving you may roll one additional combat die for every 4 squares moved.

I'd probably also add in a rule for the spear breaking every now and again. Maybe every time three or more identical shields and no skulls are thrown the spear hits the wall with such force that it breaks.

That's just the way I would do this :2cents:

And welcome to the forum Soup. It's always nice to see new ideas. |_P
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » November 19th, 2013, 4:43 pm

The Road Warrior wrote:If sacrificing the movement represents running to throw the spear why not make the Amazon move the squares first to use the skill.
e.g.
When throwing a spear immediately after moving you may roll one additional combat die for every 4 squares moved.

I actually thought of that, but that would have the player move in a stupid little maze pattern to build up movement.
I figured it would work better if the movement were simply subtracted, and that's that.

Not everything that happens in the game have to be represented on the board after all ;)

I still think there are room for improvement though. I like the variable potentially high damage output. It makes for a different class.
But converting and loosing movement is perhaps a little clumsy still...

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » November 19th, 2013, 4:50 pm

:roll6: :roll6:

'Hmm. ok, I run round in a circle three times and then launch my spear with 5 combat dice.'

:blackshield: :blackshield: :blackshield: :blackshield: :blackshield:

'Ahh crap :( '

Of course EU rules say you can't step on the same square twice in one turn (I know, it's a silly rule)

I know it's not perfect, just the way I would do it ;)
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby soppathekeitto » November 19th, 2013, 5:54 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Ah okay, I see.

Well, my reasoning for wanting to beef up throw is that other classes can just get the crossbow which is free to use and grants 3 wd.
Sacrificing movement (which is supposed to represent running to throw the spear) is a way to make it potentially more powerful, but at a cost. And it's random.
On average you roll a 7 with two red dice. That would allow a strength of 3 wd. Once in a while you get 4 and sometimes only 2 or 1. Only on a roll of double 6 do you get 6 wd.
Personally I don't find an average of 3 wd OP - and you can never expect a great roll when it really matters.

If the price is 3 movement/die the average attack is 2 wd. Then you just want the crossbow.

Dam i forgot crossbow... that movement points to WD is not bad att all i hav to test few test Quest

Now that I get how the heal works, I would still want to change it around a bit.
The problem is that you have a skill that only has 1/3 chance of actually working. If you are in a situation where you actually NEED a heal you can't afford to stand around and re-rolling.
But on the other hand, if it always works it's too OP.
It's hard to make a healing class for HQ!
Maybe make it a "survival" skill instead. Each time she is reduced to 0 BP, roll a dice. Skull = heal 1 BP

hmm i hav to think this HEALING skill again.. like you cant use or try it before you are 50% BP.. etc.

Another option would be to make a set of spell/ability cards specifically for her.
soppathekeitto

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Heroes