• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hex Space Heroquest Board

Discuss Tile creation and share Tiles you've created.

Re: Hex Space Heroquest Board

Postby Maurice76 » April 20th, 2018, 10:32 am

That's actually quite easy: no matter which direction you leave a hex tile, you always move the same distance towards a neighboring tile. With square tiles you actually have two tastes: along a parallel, or along a diagonal. Moving diagonally is about 1.4 times as much in terms of distance covered as a normal move. Especially when you move multiple tiles in any such direction, the difference piles up. It's one of the things I dislike about Space Crusade, by the way, as your movement direction determines how fast you get anywhere.

Hexagon shaped board tiles have other problems, of course; the most prevalent one being the lack of long, straight lines.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Maurice76 » May 2nd, 2018, 11:00 am

torilen wrote:I've got some new thoughts - and thanks Maurice - I had forgotten all about this thread.
That was a LONG time ago.

Will come back to it tonight or tomorrow with my new thoughts.

Still waiting ;)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » May 3rd, 2018, 9:56 am

Maurice - my voice of memory...totally got lost and sidetracked and never came back.

AND OF COURSE, now I don't quite remember the points I wanted to make.

However...I would say if this were to be implemented, using the slanted walls would
work best, in my opinion. It leaves the hexes in shape and makes it much easier to see
how movement should be made.

Maurice makes a good point about the walls. Honestly, though, the same could be made
about the basic HQ board...and most any dungeon wall in a board game or rpg. This is
only due to space, however, and the selling and use of boards in gaming. If one were
to create tiles at home...which I like to do (several companies make printable tiles)...
then one could easily leave enough room between rooms and hallways and such to make
the walls nice and thick...equal thickness of a 5ft hallway, typically.

Of course, with hex-shaped spaces, the rooms and hallways might be a bit oddly shaped.
If one wanted to still have straight walls, an extra line of hexes could be left on all sides
of the room or hallway, and could be cut to make the walls straight. This would leave
some extra space on all sides. This could be a good thing, though. If the hall is only a
5ft wide hall, then there could be a better chance for a hero to slip past a battle to
get on the other side of two targets, or could have a better chance for a hero to shoot
a bow or spell past two targets.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Previous

Return to Tiles