• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Tutorial] Making a silicone mold easily

Tips and tricks about sculpting.

[Tutorial] Making a silicone mold easily

Postby Sjeng » August 20th, 2013, 5:22 am

With silicone caulk (kit)!

Perfect for making bases or even minis or spare parts! I think I'll try this and use plaster for casting bases.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: [Tutorial] Making a silicone mold easily

Postby chaoticprime » August 20th, 2013, 6:18 am

I have found the most important step to this is that you stir the two-parts that make up the compound adequetaly enough.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » August 20th, 2013, 7:07 am

I'm planning on taking a small cardboard box (bottom of a milk carton or something), cover it in vaseline, place 4 bases in it, apply the "oogoo" silicone mix, and use that mold to cast more bases with plaster. Cheap and easy! Wat better than milliputting in instantmold. I might even try to copy some figures.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » August 20th, 2013, 10:17 am

Sjeng wrote:I'm planning on taking a small cardboard box (bottom of a milk carton or something), cover it in vaseline, place 4 bases in it, apply the "oogoo" silicone mix, and use that mold to cast more bases with plaster. Cheap and easy! Wat better than milliputting in instantmold. I might even try to copy some figures.

That's the way to go. Screw waiting all night for milliput to dry--have your bases cast and ready in ten minutes.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby roomandu » August 20th, 2013, 7:51 pm

lego is another good option to make a silicon mould container.
Another release agent to try instead of Vaseline would be the spray on cooking oil. A nice even coat should work fine and its so much easier to clean and it doesn't have to be too heavy.
|_P
Drew
roomandu

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby TammySutton » March 13th, 2014, 1:18 am

I have made the wooden miniatures and want to cover it with silicon mould. Is it possible?
TammySutton

Exiled
Exiled

Hero:

Postby Sjeng » March 13th, 2014, 1:54 am

I think a simple wood varnish is better and easier. Unless you want to make molds of the furniture. But still, I think you should varnish the wood first, let that dry a few days, and then apply the silicon. You can rub some vaseline on the wood after the varnish has dried to release the silicone easier.

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby StratosVX » March 13th, 2014, 2:18 am

I've used products from Smooth-On but I haven't had the time to adequately test to get the method down. I've recreated a mummy and an orc, but that's been it so far. Getting a mold that doesn't give me problems with air bubbles has been the trick I need to master.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Thantos » March 13th, 2014, 5:46 am

StratosVX wrote:I've used products from Smooth-On but I haven't had the time to adequately test to get the method down. I've recreated a mummy and an orc, but that's been it so far. Getting a mold that doesn't give me problems with air bubbles has been the trick I need to master.

Youll need a vacuum chamber and good pump >5CFM or a vibrating table (or washing machine on spin dry?) to sort the bubbles out ;)

TammySutton wrote:I have made the wooden miniatures and want to cover it with silicon mould. Is it possible?

Yea as Sjeng suggests, varnish them lightly if the wood is coarse and porous. If its smoothly sanded, it should be ok without if you are using good quality rubber.
What are you planning on making? :D
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » March 13th, 2014, 2:42 pm

Thantos wrote:Youll need a vacuum chamber and good pump >5CFM or a vibrating table (or washing machine on spin dry?) to sort the bubbles out ;)

There is a tutorial on Hirst's website for making your own vibrating table that I would like to try. I just found it the other night. I've looked at the vacuum chamber but I'm not spending that kind of money on one. I realized I misspoke too. The molds come out fine. It's the casts that wind up with air bubbles or missing pieces (arms, etc.) because I couldn't get the plastic down into those areas because the air gets trapped. I even have vents in them but I'm still very inconsistent in the results.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member