• Advertisement

Skull Dice Refurbishing

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Skull Dice Refurbishing

Postby Balinor » Friday December 20th, 2013 10:57pm

I will eventually buy new dice but in the mean time the dice from Second Edition Heroscape have the same icons and ratio of shields and skulls. In place of the black shield there is a blank side. These work great for Hero players who don't need to concern themselves with the black shield anyway and I have like 9 sets of them :D They tend to sell from pretty cheap on Ebay last time I checked.

That leaves my two original sets for Zargon and they get rolled 80% less, so less wear and tear.
Balinor

Zombie
Zombie

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » Saturday December 21st, 2013 6:09am

There are always those German sets...http://www.shopping-guru.de/
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » Friday December 28th, 2018 10:36am

tasoe wrote:I had some pretty worn dice with most of the black worn off. I tried to repaint it with a marker but the result was not very good.
So I begin to repaint some of them starting from the white. Then I did the black parts that because of the engravings were pretty easy to paint and after some coats of varnish the result is this:

someone told me that it came out too white but I tackled him for rejecting the effort of my work.
after some test throws it was determined (by me) that there is no discernable change of the outcome or of the way of rolling onto the board.

It was very tiring work though and maybe it is not worth it if in a couple of quests they are ruined again but my varnish is pretty strong and I think it will keep them clean for a long time.

p.s. the paints used are the same I use for my minis i.e. acrylics.

I still have my original set from 1992-ish and they were in pretty much the exact same condition as yours, tasoe. I had worn them down rapidly as a kid and used a fine black sharpie to ink them at the time and it had bled into the white spaces. Wasn't ideal.

I bought a repro set recently but couldn't bear to part with the originals and vowed to save 'em. I used a similar approach to yours but I found I actually kinda liked the wood color rather than stark white, and also figured it would hide some of the future wear on the corners, so I used black acrylic paint for the recesses and tried (roughly) to match the wood color for the rest. I'll get some pics up on my blog soon.

I also used standard GW matte varnish, they've held up well. It was spray-on so there's a tactile difference but they still seem to roll just fine.
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » Friday December 28th, 2018 5:45pm

I guess repainting the balck carved parts with a balck wash should be easier and work properly. But I din't try yet.

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » Saturday December 29th, 2018 2:06pm

I tried sanding the black off the parts I accidentally painted but even with extremely fine grit and a sanding block, there weren't deep enough depressions to prevent me sanding off the parts that were SUPPOSED to be black. But your mileage may vary! Let us know how it goes.
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Stoner81 » Thursday January 3rd, 2019 7:46am

I bought replacement dice from here ---> http://spielwarensaloon.de/index.php/ca ... erfel.html

They weren't cheap but it was worth it!

|_P |_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Monday March 11th, 2019 10:23pm

I just used a sharpie... the black shields came out nice... skulls not so much.
wallydubbs

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Postby devarionarias » Tuesday March 12th, 2019 10:40pm

tasoe wrote:I had some pretty worn dice with most of the black worn off. I tried to repaint it with a marker but the result was not very good.
So I begin to repaint some of them starting from the white. Then I did the black parts that because of the engravings were pretty easy to paint and after some coats of varnish the result is this:

I like the look of the acrylic on there. Mine are pretty bad ( some sides barely readable). I'll have to give it a try! Thanks for the suggestion, taste.
devarionarias

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Previous

Return to Game Systems