• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Possibility for Enhancing Spells

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Possibility for Enhancing Spells

Postby torilen » February 8th, 2012, 10:11 am

I found this in an AD&D book last night...thought I'd mention it here.
I didn't know if it would be good to go into another thread about spell casting, which is why I started a
new thread.
Make the enhancer a spell in and of itself. You cast the enhancer spell (name it as you wish) and it
enhances a spell you cast your next turn. If more than one turn goes by and you don't cast another
spell, you lose the enhancer spell.

It gives the chance to enhance a spell once per quest, and keeps the balance of power in the game.
Would even work well for home-brew systems that allow the casting of more spells in each quest, or
the casting of the same spell more than once per quest.
The balance of power in the game is kept because the enhanced spell has to be cast the very next turn.
Of course, something could cause a possible problem for completing that action...yes?
hahahaha

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Possibility for Enhancing Spells

Postby Goblin-King » February 8th, 2012, 11:16 am

I kinda like this idea. I'm thinking it could be an optional deck. Some spells get overpowered by enhancement but in essence you have only two decks (the third deck being enhancements and not "actual" spells)

Some suggestions for enhancement spells:
* Next spell can affect 2 visible targets instead of just one.
* Enemy is not allowed to defend from an offensive spell (maybe OP?).
* Each successfull hit from an offensive spell causes the target to loose 2 Bp instead of one.
* Next spell cast is not lost, but can be cast again later.
* Amount of Bp regained from a spell is doubled.

And with the magical scepter: Cast double target and double damage... nice!

How did you imagine it should actually work??

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » February 8th, 2012, 4:05 pm

Honestly, I figured I (we) would leave that to the Evil Wizard and/or players. I would say, really,
that it could do any of the suggestions you mentioned...any part of the spell that could be changed
can be changed. Only by one step, though (1 additional target, 1 additional point of damage, 1 additional
space effected if an area type spells).

OR, there could be different enhancing spells, and each would create one of the suggested effects. That
would make them a little more focused, and offer a little more chance to use an enhancing spell.

Perhaps it could be its own spell group, and as heroes gained "experience" and the ability to cast more
spells, they could choose that group.
OR
Each spell group would have one enhancing spell in it - I like this option better - allows use right from the
start, and allows a little more use out of it, without being TOO overpowered...you would only be able to use
the enhancing spell with the spells from the same group.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Templar » March 9th, 2012, 8:41 pm

This is a very interesting idea!

I especially like the option of choosing a "Magic enhancing" spell group. This would of course be useless to the elf (which is not specialized in magic anyway, so it's ok), which means that the wizard will allways be able to choose whether to take a third spell group or "focus" on his two other choices...

I would call this spell group: Mysticism :mrgreen:
"If you have to ask, you're streets behind..." - Pierce Hawthorn

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby burglekutt » April 28th, 2018, 5:36 pm

I thought of something similar where you expand on the spells already given. Here's a few that I haven't tested yet though.

Pass Through Rock II- Attack through a wall with missle weapons/spells for two rounds. This is to keep the player safe or incase they can't even get into the room at all.

Pass Through Rock III- Sink into the floor & reamerge anywhere you've been before in this quest. Not that important but would save your life.

Sleep II- (the only MP/Psionic spell the Wizard gets) Exactly the same as Zargons "Command" spell.

Sleep III- Exactly the same as Zargons "Fear" spell.

You get the point. Just expand on the spells already given. Give each spell two more related spells? Im a HUGE fan of alternate/augmented spells to keep with the motif of the regular elemental spells.

Would love to hear more on this subject!
Last edited by burglekutt on February 18th, 2023, 10:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
burglekutt

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » April 29th, 2018, 6:17 am

Did you see the spell combining?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » April 29th, 2018, 8:06 am

I just accepted your "Enhancing Spell" in my Scientific Spellcasting Deck. :D Thanks for that idea, it's worth 300 gold. Or a beer. |_P

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » May 16th, 2018, 7:04 pm

@Josh
mitchiemasha wrote:Did you see the spell combining?

I believe mitchiemasha is referring to half-way down this post.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby burglekutt » June 5th, 2018, 10:00 am

mitchiemasha wrote:Did you see the spell combining?

Those are awesome & will use them!
burglekutt

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » June 5th, 2018, 12:35 pm

Josh wrote:Those are awesome & will use them!

I went through a process of abbreviating them, simplifying them. Not sure how much the content of the table was finished, corrected, my memory is bad but here is the print out. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KYGKz ... ciwNq4kRD7

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Rules