• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Kurgan » January 15th, 2021, 2:51 pm

j_dean80 wrote:My big ? mark is about the transfer of Fimir to Abominations. There’s a Quest where a Fimir casts a Rust Spell. Looking at the Abomination model, it just doesn’t spell out “intelligent design” to me. As in, does it have the mental capability to cast a spell? It looks more like a mindless beast like “Creature from the Black Lagoon”.

Skaven spell castors exist too though... I know only in published quests (inspired by Advanced Hero Quest). But if rat-men monsters can use magic, and orcs and one-eyed lizard men (women?) can too, then maybe so can "Gillman."

They look cool, but yeah why this specific change? I guess they wanted something with scales, but nothing that suggested "lizard"?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby torilen » January 15th, 2021, 4:51 pm

Pancho wrote:Torilen,

The storyline didn’t end with KK and RotWL. It continued with Against the Ogre Horde, which references the previous adventures, and then Wizards of Morcar, which in turn references back to the Ogre pack directly.

The two American packs don’t reference Ogres or Wizards, so I guess they can’t be proven to continue the story in a strict sense, but they still do reasonably well in an informal sense.

Sorry about that. I don't think much about those two adventures. I've only read them maybe twice, and that was a LOOONG time ago. Guess I should've
checked them for references back to the others. I wasn't purposefully trying to be a stupid American. :lol: :lol:

For that matter, what about that adventure from the Marvel Winter Special magazine? DId that reference anything in the other adventures, and so should
be considered canon based on all of the officially published material. :)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Pancho » January 15th, 2021, 5:28 pm

torilen wrote:

The storyline didn’t end with KK and RotWL. It continued with Against the Ogre Horde, which references the previous adventures, and then Wizards of Morcar, which in turn references back to the Ogre pack directly.

The two American packs don’t reference Ogres or Wizards, so I guess they can’t be proven to continue the story in a strict sense, but they still do reasonably well in an informal sense.

Sorry about that. I don't think much about those two adventures. I've only read them maybe twice, and that was a LOOONG time ago. Guess I should've
checked them for references back to the others. I wasn't purposefully trying to be a stupid American. :lol: :lol:

For that matter, what about that adventure from the Marvel Winter Special magazine? DId that reference anything in the other adventures, and so should
be considered canon based on all of the officially published material. :)

No worries, I can see why you might not rate those packs too highly. They are meat grinders for sure but we had a heck of a lot of fun playing them, especially Ogres. Wizards doesn’t have much of a story but the quests themselves are actually cool, with all the new spells, magical traps and mercenaries. That adventure just needs padding out a bit with a few extra quests and storyline, to really make the most of the four sorcerous lieutenants.

I consider the Marvel special and the White Dwarf Quests canon too. The quests from the novels are semi-canon I guess. The Dark Company is another official one, which is like a side story and fits in anywhere towards the end without any problems.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Davane » January 15th, 2021, 8:57 pm

j_dean80 wrote:My big ? mark is about the transfer of Fimir to Abominations. There’s a Quest where a Fimir casts a Rust Spell. Looking at the Abomination model, it just doesn’t spell out “intelligent design” to me. As in, does it have the mental capability to cast a spell? It looks more like a mindless beast like “Creature from the Black Lagoon”.

The Abominations remind me more of the fish-people from the Cthulhu mythos - so they may well be intelligent enough to cast spells. Can't remember off-hand what they are called, but Abominations suit them quite well if this is the case, as chances are they are a kind of beastman, just as Skaven technically are.
"The HeroQuest World is loosely based on the Warhammer World which is the copyright of Games Workshop and is used by their permission."

HeroQuest Combined English Edition Rule Book (HQ CERB)
Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby Davane » January 15th, 2021, 9:03 pm

torilen wrote:In reference to canon material: This really does not matter for a HQ style game, except where there is going to be a
continuing storyline or plot in the game and in sequel game packs. Example - the original HQ pack, and the kellar's
keep and return of the witch lord expansions. But even with this...and it has been a while since I have read the
expansions, so I may be wrong...the storyline ended with RotWL pack, right? So canon material would only apply
to those three gamepacks.

Technically, those three packs are the only really consistent part of HQ in both the UK and US versions. The UK also go Against the Ogre Horde and Wizards of Morcar, whilst NA got The Frozen Horror and The Mage in the Mirror. These can also be considered canon. The Japanese got their own unique Quest Pack.

It's relatively easy to strip the Warhammer World out of these packs, since they are just names in the background...
"The HeroQuest World is loosely based on the Warhammer World which is the copyright of Games Workshop and is used by their permission."

Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » January 15th, 2021, 9:54 pm

They seem to me to be examples of what "could happen." The sticker album and the Marvel comics content, that is. I've actually broken down and ordered the three "novels" and they should be on their way sometime next month. I'll let you know what I think (though I'm told they're basically at the level of your choose your own adventures, rather than some amazing literature... and their rarity drives the price up quite a bit).

I'd put the official expansions at a higher level than the supplementary stuff in the novels or magazines. I am just curious to see any that were deemed good enough to get published.

Some people prefer the EU exclusive packs to the NA exclusives and I can understand why. WOM always gets the short end, more as a font of new content and ideas than a great adventure in itself. EQP and BQP get bashed for being too hard (maybe they'd be more playable with EU rules?) especially the solo quests.

I've read reviews that knocked KK & ROTWL for the cheapness of some of the extra material (cards and tiles for instance) which I don't disagree with, and ROTWL seems more highly rated then KK (and I happen to agree with that). I've heard NA players bash the EU for being "too easy" (1 body point monsters, some weapons more powerful, more available gear like armor for the Wizard you can buy) but the "you can't save yourself from dying" and no elixir of life makes it more challenging I would say (even if the Heroes never turn on each other) and you lack the spell scrolls and certain other artifacts that would otherwise help you out. Then there are EU players who have bashed the NA exclusives for being too hard, and not playtested (but "inadequately tested" has also here been applied to AtOH as well... and some hate the special defense rules for the new bad guys in the Dark Company.

I've GMed the first solo quest for EQP and all three solos for the BQP. Played the first two quests of AtOH and none of WOM/WOZ or Dark Company. Haven't replayed the GS, KK or ROTWL since the early 2000's, except for playing a handful of random quests to get up to speed (and find a few artifacts).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Re: How many more novels am I gonna write??

Postby Davane » January 15th, 2021, 10:16 pm

Kurgan wrote:So Davane, you're admitting that changes in canon can happen because of "behind the scenes" stuff involving marketing and legal issues, right? That doesn't seem controversial.

I admit nothing. NOTHING, I TELL YOU! :P

Changes in canon can happen, certainly. However, from a design perspective, it's always better to ADD to canon than to subtract from it.

My point is that WHEN HQ was designed, it was part of the Warhammer World. Since GW and MB split, MB couldn't use the Warhammer World without GW approval, but they COULD add to the HeroQuest brand. Likewise, GW couldn't technically add to the HQ brand without MB's approval (which they must have got, at least twice, since they published HQ adventures in White Dwarf.

Since there is nothing official to say that HQ is NOT still set in the Warhammer World, I would argue that it IS set in the Warhammer World, since it WAS set in the Warhammer World when designed. The primary use of this is that it gives a wealth of background material for adaptation to your game. If YOU want the game to not be in the Warhammer World, that's fine with me.

I argue this way, because as much as I have seen of the HQ brand, if you remove the Warhammer World from HQ, then you have no real setting. There's been nothing OFFICIAL to replace it, as of yet. Of course, this may change with the reprint, in which case, we get to explore a whole new world, with a whole new set of expectations and standards.

Kurgan wrote:One constant in these forums is that there is no single vision of how Hero Quest ought to be, everybody's idea is slightly different. And while there are debates on here and exchanges, ultimately there's a mutual respect and tolerance of different visions. Nobody's fandom is being doubted, everybody just has different things they like about the game and different ideas about how to "make it better." I think it's great that this isn't a bunch of old jaded gamers trying to keep the past going because they can't enjoy new things, it's simply keeping alive something they enjoy, which was always based around creating your own content from the very start... a game which itself was based on modifications of existing properties and spin offs of previous ideas.

Preach. That's what makes these discussions so interesting.

Kurgan wrote:I'm not so much arguing that these artificial ways in which the canon was shaped "should" be honored. I go back and forth between wanting to always support "author's intention" and giving nostalgia its due for the product presented as is to the public and allowed to garner a following.

I'm not nostalgic about "Morcar" or "Skaven" or "the Warhammer world" because that wasn't part of the game I played and came to love. I can appreciate those things now, seeing the history and parallel development of the game in different territory. So I have no problem with scenarios involving "chaos gods" and so forth.

This touches on the other point of what parts of the Hasbro Remake people here like or dislike. I am not "upset" about "Dread Warriors/Abominations" because it's taking out "Warhammer" from the mythos, and that somehow I feel this is disrespectful to Games Workshop which "ought" to have their mark on HQ preserved. Rather, it's because it's (to me) an unnecessary change from the "thing I loved" that I wanted to see released again. I can appreciate the new designs for what they are and I can UNDERSTAND the reasons why things were changed.

I grew up with these things being an important part of HQ, and without them, HQ feels lessened in some way. I don't think, however, that the issue is that Hasbro are taking Warhammer out of HQ, as much as the fear that Hasbro aren't going to replace it with something just as enjoyable. Of course, a few name changes doesn't strictly mean they have taken the Warhammer out of HQ, so they may just build on what is ostensibly a version of the Warhammer World, without actually using any GW IP. We shall see - but given Hasbro's current communication efforts, I don't hold much hope for the reprint to be anything more than a fire and forget cash grab...

Kurgan wrote:If the Games workshop relationship changed in the 1 year between HQ's release in the UK and North America, I can't say. I have never researched this topic and rely upon the reports of people in these forums, honestly. I don't care that much to learn. But the fact remains, regardless of what happened behind the scenes, is that over here we got a certain product, played that for years and that was "Hero Quest" to us, just as the other territories got theirs. The attitude that somehow we "should" or "ought" to impose the "original vision" of Hero Quest on the whole world... that is better than imposing some other vision on the whole world? I'm not actually in favor of the idea that "Hasbro Remake" is the one and only canon of Hero Quest. If we're going to insist on "canon" this is where the problem comes in. Who has the "authority" to "define canon"? It's the owners of the property, isn't it? Because they can say "sorry UK players, Fimirs and Chaos Warriors don't exist... this is not set in the Warhammer world" and they can also say "sorry NA players, that guy was Mentor all along, also these certain elements from the European version, which you never knew about in your childhood, are part of the gameplay now." So in that sense EVERYBODY's Hero Quest is "changing." Not because you can no longer enjoy the classic versions (nothing stops that), but the general public, unless they are informed by us fans, or are curious enough to learn, will probably underestimate the extent of the changes and not appreciate what came before.

Shame, because I enjoy researching gaming history myself. Feel free to ignore any comments on history that you don't find interesting - but just be aware that is the stance I am arguing from.

You are right, people won't neccessarily appreciate what has come before. That's why it's up to fans and historians like myself to inform people who are interested. If they are not, then they can feel free to move right along.

In my opinion, canon is very important, because it is very useful - but not something that should be enforced, even if it could. If Hasbro are going to replace the canon, I am interested to see what they replace it with, else it's back to the known Warhammer World.

My impression however is that Hasbro won't go so far as to say Chaos Warriors and Fimir don't exist (Fimir are a GW trademark, by the way), but will just lampshade over them without comment. So it's more a case that we have Dread Warriors and Abominations now, and we probably won't hear about Fimir or Chaos Warriors ever again. But simply not mentioning Fimir or Chaos Warriors won't be enough to convince me that HQ isn't set in the Warhammer World, because Hasbro aren't actually replacing the world - they are just adding Abominations, Chaos Warriors, and Orc Bards to it. I am just interested in seeing how these additions are being integrated into the new canon, if they are going to be at all.

Kurgan wrote:I certainly don't appreciate the Warhammer stuff. It's simply a novelty to me, not "how it ought to be." Someone, using a critical eye, could bash transformers and say it's a ripoff series. It's just a rehash of some old toys to try to sell them again to a new generation of kids who doesn't remember the originals. But it became famous in its own right. And like so many franchises that have been remade, you have different generations of iterations of the product that are different. So to some people that is "Convoy" to others it's "Optimus Prime." Some people want the Dinobots to be blue and silver, others want them to be red and gold.

I am not arguing that Warhammer is how HQ "ought to be." I am arguing the Warhammer is how HQ "was," and I haven't seen a reason for that to change. I didn't stop playing HQ because GW didn't have the rights for it. If you are interested in how HQ "was," that's great, but if not - then you do what you want, and feel free to move right along and ignore anything from me that doesn't interest you.

I don't know what your experience with the Warhammer World actually is, but as a world that has been in the making for over 30 years, there's a plethora of inspiration there for you if you want to use it. Maybe you want to set your next HQ horror game in Castle Drachenfels, or maybe even exploring the Yetzin Valley?

Kurgan wrote:Authorial intent may not always coincide with who owns the legal rights. George Lucas can say whatever he wants about Star Wars, but the product that exists is what exists. He changed his own movies a half a dozen times as "special editions" and tried to get people to embrace those over the originals (some did, some didn't). Then he sold it and all the creative control was given to other people (and now I've heard he works sort of as an advisor in a very limited capacity with some friendly directors who work on the new franchise, but his role is minimal).

Stephen Baker seems to me, to be a kind of guest writer, a collaborator or advisor this time, rather than like some kind of head creative director or designer. So his opinions may be respected by fans, but Hero Quest for many is no longer just what he wanted, or anybody else who worked on the original project(s). So there's good and bad in that. What ultimately matters to PLAYERS like me is what the product is like. The history of its development, the economics and politics are more a simple curiosity. It's too bad the collaboration didn't last. For better or for worse, we got what we got.

I agree, but I like knowing the roots of things. I believe history is just as important. Helps make better stories, in my opinion. The problem is that, sometimes, the new content doesn't match the existing authorial intent, and quite often this is done for commercial reasons. As such, new content can often be seen as ill-fitting, disrespectful, or even just plain bad.

But, in all fairness, if you are going to judge anything, you should bear in mind the stance that you are judging it from. I think any new content from Hasbro will be judged both in whether it fits the pre-existing HQ legacy canon, and on it's own merits. Looking back over this thread, I can see people in both camps, and most of the debate here is actually people from different camps judging things using different perspectives and criteria.

Kurgan wrote:The EU versions of the game I think had some cool things that us NA players never got. Now modification of the game is part of the game, and was intended from the start, so it's easy to take that official material from other versions, seasoned to taste, and incorporate them into your own sessions. It will be the same way with the Remake.

And decades from now, if anyone still cares about the 2021 version, who knows, maybe people who grew up with that version will love that one the best and will incorporate new material into theirs as well.

Houseruling is what fans do. Whilst they can debate whether the official contents are up to snuff, they will also change anything they want to suit their purposes. I don't think this is strictly intentional, but rather, it comes implied since HQ is supposed to be a GAME. Besides, what are Hasbro going to do if I use the Warhammer World instead of any new canon they provide? Kick my door down and take back my nuHQ set, and permaban me from rolling combat dice ever again? :P

Kurgan wrote:From an economic standpoint, I can understand if they don't do localizations this time. To me then the idea of incorporating nostalgic material from the other versions makes sense. Yes, in a way the NA version seems "more complete" or "more refined" but in other ways it is missing some key things. Here I'm talking about the thing as a whole... so the EU version is all the expansions released for that territory, and the NA version has its own expansions. You've got different rules, and you've got equipment cards vs. armory, and a few extra artifacts, but apart from variations in the art, it's basically the same thing. The expansions and some of the window dressing are where the differences come up that we've been talking about. Some "little things" are really important to certain people.

Hence, you won't please everybody with this Remake. People who want to buy it but don't like this or that will have to make their own versions or "deal." It's a lot easier with a customizable board game with a built in modding fan base, as opposed to say, Star Wars where certain fans will make "edits" of the movies to portray the version they want to see the best, with nobody agreeing completely on which changes or edits are best.

I think it would be cool if somehow, legally, Games Workshop, even if they couldn't work directly with Hasbro to create the ultimate "remake" tripping all our nostalgia triggers, could at some later time, release something that could be used to smooth that out for hardcore fans. But it looks like at this point, that doesn't exist. At best you'll get side projects like Warhammer Quest or the aborted Anniversary gamezone project that people can cannibalize for ideas to make the remake "more like what they wanted."

The best advice, short of a well written letter to Hasbro (CC: Gamesworkshop?) is to just DO IT YOURSELF. If it's good, it will attract others, and while it may never be as big as something official they could put out, it will create a niche community that you can be proud of.

I don't see Hasbro doing localizations unless there's a big demand for foreign language versions of NuHQ. Unlike in the early '90's, there's now a global HQ community. I see this more as an opportunity to unite the HQ community behind a single version, that everyone is going to houserule back to whatever they prefer anyway.

There's plenty of changes between the UK and US editions, many of which I have incorporated into my HQ games. But ultimately, both versions are more or less the same game, so it's very much an irrelevance right now unless you are talking rules specifics.

Kurgan wrote:PS: I was gifted a box of Warhammer 40k Orks not so long ago. I still don't have a use for them on the gaming table (been wracking my brain for one... capture the flag?), so they're just a side painting project. But these don't have to be acknowledged as part of my HQ games, other stuff can exist that isn't part of this. There, I created my own fan "canon." Pretty easy. But since I can change it and play with it any way I want to, what is the point? Is someone going to start complaining during "Grim's Crag" that there should have been Orks with guns in those passages?

WH40K isn't considered part of the Warhammer World. They just share branding - in WH40K, the God-Emperor resides on ancient Terra (Earth) in the Sol system. The only link between the two settings are the Chaos Gods...

I am assuming that you are attempting to make an absurdo reductum argument, but my reply is that if you Ork Dakkas in HQ, go for it! You could always modify the Orks weaponry to resemble blackpowder weapons made of scrap. You can then use them instead of Orcs with Crossbows to ambush your heroes. Whatever you decide for your game, goes - I don't think anyone (besides your players, maybe) will complain if Orks with Boltguns turn up in your games of HQ, and I certainly don't think anyone will condemn you if you decide to skip that particular idea.

It kind of reminds me of an old April's Fool article in Dragon Magazine, where the author talks about the player character death rate in his games, because he has zombies in tanks, and orcs with rocket launchers and canisters of bubonic plague. He states that his games are "faster paced than most."

I also find it somewhat amusing that you continue to argue as if Warhammer and GW are interchangable, and that Warhammer is this cohesive entity which is all that GW has to offer. That might describe Warhammer as a Brand, but not Warhammer as a product line or as a setting. A year or so ago, GW launched Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress, which is basically a WH40K version of Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower. Despite the branding as WHQ, neither can be said to actually be a reprint or replacement for WHQ in any way...

Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby Davane » January 15th, 2021, 11:02 pm

Kurgan wrote:One doesn't have to be a fan or player of Warhammer fantasy to be a fan or player of Hero Quest.

You're forgetting that Ogres featured in Mage of the Mirror. And while the Wizards of Morcar and Festral don't get mentioned, the Mercenaries are taken straight from the Men at Arms featured in Advanced Quest and WOM.

But like madness, it helps... :P

Kurgan wrote:NA players never got ATOH or WOM or the Dark Company. That's too bad, they seemed cool (and we can play them now, thanks to ebay and the inn). And European players can enjoy Mage of the Mirror and the Frozen Horror. Each to their own. Even without an explicit explanation of how all the quest packs fit together, you can pretty easily figure out one that makes sense. Ogres have always been around, the Ogre Horde is just one instance where they were organized against the Empire. That doesn't stop individual Ogres from acting as mercenaries or just wandering around looking for fights and food. Did Zargon surrender once his four lieutenants were defeated? I have my doubts. Pretty much every quest pack ends with some kind of cliffhanger or suggestion that more adventures could be ahead. But WOM doesn't seem to have an epilogue (at least from the scans I've seen). Does that mean it's "the end"? Clearly not, simply leaving it blank means the adventure continues as it always has, with you creating your own stories. Zargon/Morcar is not defeated. Just as he did in the past, he'll regroup and attack again. Do the Heroes retire after that "final conflict"? Surely not! A hero's work is never done...

Many EU countries didn't necessarily get ATOH, WOM, or DC either.

Ogres have been around in the Warhammer World for absolutely ages, but it's only within the last few years that Ogres were written up in the Warhammer World, where they exist to the east of the World's Edge Mountains, north of the Badlands and the Dark Lands, in a nomadic state similar to the Mongol culture. Prior to this write up, Ogres were seen largely as wandering brutes and mercenaries, that would ally equally with the Empire and the Orcs. Citadel Journal even featured an Ogre character for WHQ.

I must say, I heartily recommend Jacob Busby's Tears of Times Past as in interesting we to provide an epilogue to Dark Company, and to bridge the gap between Morcar/Zargon if you want to use both UK and US HQ packs and can't be bothered to change any of the names...

Kurgan wrote:So who controls the Frozen Horror and Mage of the Mirror? I imagine the decision to release new expansions is up in the air, but why would they choose to remake those rather than the EU exclusive packs? Probably some behind the scenes stuff, right? Either way, if they only release one territory's expansions some potential buyers will feel left out. All of those packs are super rare and expensive, being fought over by collectors online, but back in the day, how well did they sell? I never saw EQP/BQP in stores (and didn't know anybody who had them), we only knew about them from the fliers in KK/ROTWL that advertised them through the mail (wish I had ordered them back then at that cheap price... but considering how tough they were, we probably would have been very frustrated to play them as kids).

Hasbro own FH and MotM, since MB created and owned them. They also own ATOH and WOM. So, presumably, Hasbro may consider actually rereleasing all these expansions in due time.

Kurgan wrote:The Hasbro (or were they Avalon Hill?) reps said in the Q&A that they were interested in feedback on future expansions. We're getting two brand new ones but people don't seem that excited about them (during the fund raiser people were super excited about the Stephen Baker one, but there was so little information... one intro to the return to Melar's Maze quest and the "training quest" which didn't seem to be all that... it had a pretty muted reaction). I guess you can't comment on what you don't know.

The two new packs seem interesting, but I think people weren't very thrilled with the way Hasbro handled the funding in the first place. It's hard to get excited about things we can't see - but these new expansions are likely to be the main way the canon for NuHQ will be established/changed, if Hasbro decides to do so.

You only have to look on these forums to see the mixed receptions the new quest packs got - the Stephen Baker Quest Book's desirability was more because it was Stephen Baker, and would be a bit like seeing drathe, phoenix, or agin coming back to write another quest pack hosted on the front page on Ye Olde Inn. The others are relatively minor "personalities" that aren't well known in the HQ community, and are seen as newcomers parachuted in by Hasbro. Between that and the way the stretch goals were lined out (quest books every $1 million), it seemed like Hasbro were aiming extremely high with HQ, as if to try and keep these books out of the funding. The $4 million Quest Book (which we failed to get) sounds more like a new expansion pack, but little word has come on whether or not it will be made or released.

Kurgan wrote:I'm all for more stuff getting released, but if they don't think they'll make their money back with the effort, I imagine they won't try very hard to get that done. They were willing to risk selling sight-unseen new material though. That makes me think there may be some rights issue with all of the existing expansions, or else they must feel that since fewer people know those than the first two universally released expansions (sorry, except you Japan) it might not get the nostalgia bucks. But then nobody was nostalgic for the "Spirit Queen's Torment" or asked for the "Prophecy of Telor" they were just intrigued by the idea of S. Baker making something new after all these years.

The problem is that the target audience for reprints is often people who already know and love the brand, and as such, new content is often vital to see it thrive. Whilst you do get some sales from new generations of gamers that might have missed out before, relying on them is typically doomed to failure without extensive advertising.

I previously mentioned anecdotes from managers at GW who have experience this with games like Space Hulk and Blood Bowl. These are great games, but the people who want them reprinted are mostly people who already own them, and as such, what they really want is new content, not just existing content repolished. If the companies themselves don't provide enough new content, then fansites like Ye Olde Inn spring up to fill the gap.

Kurgan wrote:Edit: I looked again and Against the Ogre Horde, like Wizards of Morcar, doesn't really have an epilogue to it either (assuming the scans are accurate). It just leads you to believe that once you escape to the surface you will be helping the Empire's armies against the Horde. So possibly a lead-in to Battle Masters? ( Just kidding, I have no idea... but there's a new Ogre type unit in that game as well! Was Battlemasters released in the UK ? Was it different? I never had it. ).

I never had Battlemasters, but I believe it was a very much stripped down version of Warhammer Fantasy Battle set on a grid. I might be mistaken, I never really looked into it, but I could probably find out. It is yet another collab between GW and MB, but I don't think it got any proper coverage in WD at the time.

Kurgan wrote:Edit 2: Yes, canon matters in terms of doing a series, I agree. If the canon defines the Witchlord as being alive and having an army of undead, then that will influence you to portray him that way. But what if a quest ends with: "well, that was the last orc on the planet. Since you killed him, the Orcs are extinct forever!" ? Does that mean now you have to melt your greenskins down and never use them again? "Uh... well this quest takes place BEFORE that happened..." "that was just a dream" "using magic, some new orcs were created" it would be a stupid thing to introduce, but you could get around it so easily. "wait, the Witch Lord is dead!" "Well I guess he survived or was revived somehow" "You can't have him commanding orcs!" "Well he hired some that escaped the genocide... sorry." The Hasbro owners can use the concept of "canon" to leverage more sales if they want to, but in the end, the players will decide what they think is cool and do what they want to. If they suddenly reached an agreement with GW and they are going to leverage sales of Warhammer materials or something, I guess they could try that. One reason I didn't get into the Warhammer franchise in the first place was the rather large cost involved of being on the level with your peers. HeroQuest starts pretty modestly, and its up to you how much you spend on it but the initial investment is pretty small (especially if you saved the game you had all those years ago, instead of buying an antique off ebay). But yeah, if you want to view the EU stories are all being a strict chronology (see the many threads guessing about how it all fits together) and the NA exclusives as "side stories" or one-offs that's fine. And don't forget about the Japanese game system... You could have many canons out there, what the fans think, what the owners think and what the creators think... and of the fans, what individuals allow in their sessions.

This is why key design etiquette is that you use an additive approach to canon - that is, you add to the canon, rather than take away or change it. It's based on the same principles as improv.

This why I argue that HQ is still set in the Warhammer World, because the Warhammer World is an addition to the canon, and it's only really licensing issues that are basically saying "HQ is not Warhammer now." I get that for some, it was never Warhammer in the first place, so saying it's not Warhammer now isn't that big a deal, but to others it can be just as bad as "all orcs are extinct." Of course, the response is pretty much as expected - people will just ignore canon that they don't like, and most subtractive canon is simply ignored.

by the way, I totally understand why you didn't get into Warhammer. You don't have to play WFB or WH40K to enjoy the Warhammer World, although it might seem like that these days. In the days of HQ, AHQ, and WHQ, GW designed games under the likes of Andy Chambers and Jervis Johnson, and whilst they used citadel miniatures, they were designed to be used with whatever models you have alongside what was provided in the box, so they were good ways to enter the hobby and get into the world in their own right. It was around the turn of the millenium when GW decided that making board games was too cost-ineffective for them, and so now they only really work on miniature games, but the odd boxed game still shows up now and then in a fire-and-forget fashion.

These days, it's more likely for GW to licence out an IP to a board game company and let them deal with it, rather than trying to do it in house. They do the same with video games, roleplaying games, and card games...

Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby Davane » January 15th, 2021, 11:13 pm

Pancho wrote:I consider the Marvel special and the White Dwarf Quests canon too. The quests from the novels are semi-canon I guess. The Dark Company is another official one, which is like a side story and fits in anywhere towards the end without any problems.

Don't let Kurgan hear you say that? He doesn't do GW in his games... :P

The WD quests are canon, because GW had to actually get permission from MB to release those articles. That's why both are essentially variants of the AHQ adventures in the same issues. GW also had to get permission to use any artwork registered to HQ, such as the cover art to HQ, KK, and RotWL, even though Les Edwards was a GW artist at that time. They were also rooted in the Warhammer World, but only in limited ways, so as to not outright state that HQ was in the Warhammer World and could be confused as GW IP.

Chances are that the WD content will be conveniently ignored in NuHQ, and no longer considered canon if a new canon from Hasbro comes into being. GW owns the articles, not Hasbro, so this content cannot be officially used for HQ.

From what I see of the MWS, it looks like Marvel got permission from GW, rather than MB, to use HQ and AHQ in that publication. As such, the MWS will probably be treated the same as the WD articles.

Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby Davane » January 15th, 2021, 11:26 pm

Kurgan wrote:Some people prefer the EU exclusive packs to the NA exclusives and I can understand why. WOM always gets the short end, more as a font of new content and ideas than a great adventure in itself. EQP and BQP get bashed for being too hard (maybe they'd be more playable with EU rules?) especially the solo quests.

I've read reviews that knocked KK & ROTWL for the cheapness of some of the extra material (cards and tiles for instance) which I don't disagree with, and ROTWL seems more highly rated then KK (and I happen to agree with that). I've heard NA players bash the EU for being "too easy" (1 body point monsters, some weapons more powerful, more available gear like armor for the Wizard you can buy) but the "you can't save yourself from dying" and no elixir of life makes it more challenging I would say (even if the Heroes never turn on each other) and you lack the spell scrolls and certain other artifacts that would otherwise help you out. Then there are EU players who have bashed the NA exclusives for being too hard, and not playtested (but "inadequately tested" has also here been applied to AtOH as well... and some hate the special defense rules for the new bad guys in the Dark Company.

I would agree with this assessment of the game and the two versions. However, it's important to note that in the UK versions, you could have PvP action, and in the first edition, PvP arena battles with 5 Goblins was used to teach the combat and magic rules to the players in a Last Man Standing scenario. There are many situations in the UK game system Quest Book where the heroes would compete with each other, and gold was used as a sort of score. This idea of competing for gold would be reprised in WHQ, but without the full-on PvP gameplay.

I think a lot of the "not playtested" complaints for the harder packs come from players who are expecting every quest to be completable and survivable, regardless of player actions. However, most of them are simply the quests not having the training wheels on any more - be it rockfalls that actually trap heroes, or traps hidden behind doors that are therefore unavoidable. Kind of reminds me of some of the old-school killer dungeons of the '70's and '80's...

Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion