• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Plate Armour

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Plate Armour

Postby Daedalus » November 16th, 2013, 3:53 pm

I think my group also played it that Sleep could be broken on Zargon's turn. Intuitively, it makes sense that a monster gets to break something on it's turn as a reaction. There's no game-breaking need to do otherwise, but it does penalize the Wizard for going last in the Hero order (which is recommended in the Instruction Booklet). If a monster fails to immediately break the spell, it will get a virtually-immediate second chance to break the spell again if the Wizard doesn't begin the game earlier in the Hero turn order.

Contrast that to having the Wizard start the game first in the Hero turn order. If the monster fails to immediately break the spell, it is likely the other 3 Heroes will get a chance to attack it without it being allowed to defend. Only after those freebie Hero attacks will the monster get a second chance to break the spell.

I prefer to have Hero turn order not affecting the effectiveness of a spell. Since the card doesn't specify whose turn is used to break the spell, however, either way is acceptable.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby sajungzak » November 16th, 2013, 4:43 pm

I've been toying with the idea of letting the heros go in any order they choose every rotation. Like Zargon can choose in what order the monsters attack. Any thoughts on this?
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » November 16th, 2013, 5:37 pm

yeah some people do that, but we play clockwise. takes some additional planning, which I think makes the game more fun.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » November 17th, 2013, 2:41 am

I let my players decide their order each turn. 30 seconds. I have an hourglass for that reason.
It's a houserule that each hero should at least once move first and at least must move last each quest. This I write down.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » November 17th, 2013, 4:59 am

In Zombicide, the first player rotates every round. That player has a skull token, and at the end of all players turns, he hands the token to the person on his left.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » November 23rd, 2013, 6:50 am

I've played Descent where players choose their turn order. It adds a bit of time as the group tactically and diplomatically discusses turn order. I prefer choice over brevity, though I haven't yet played a regular game this way (it works well in the PBP forum). Playing this way, I'd say it's best to have the monster try to break the spell immediately and then on Zargon's turn. I'd also mentioned to Ken before that it might be worthwhile to "tap" a Hero card 45 degrees to show a turn has been taken, then reset it on Zargon's turn.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby torilen » November 23rd, 2013, 10:24 am

I would say let them move in any order they want - I like giving them the time limit, to keep the game
moving nicely.

I mean...taking turns only happens because it would be next to impossible to run things all at once -
unless you had one person for the monsters for every person playing a hero...

Then you could all take your turns at the same time and it would be chaotic and crazy like a real battle field,
and you just have to see who comes out standing at the end...

THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » November 23rd, 2013, 10:27 am

Daedalus wrote:I'd also mentioned to Ken before that it might be worthwhile to "tap" a Hero card 45 degrees to show a turn has been taken, then reset it on Zargon's turn.

I am a happy guy to have the turn markers from Descent. I use a lot from that game.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Balinor » December 21st, 2013, 12:02 am

This thread went all over the place.

Regarding Plate armor. Since I have just began to play again with my sons, I bought plate armor and quickly realized the movement penalty is not worth one defense die. If you think putting on platemail takes a long time imagine pulling on a 60lb chainmail huebark. Carrying a spare suit of either kind should result in movement penalties.

We have a very long RPG background and tend to rule that armor may not be changed when there is an enemy present. So no suiting the armor when you open a door.

Regarding shields with crossbow = The shield pictured in the armory is just that a shield not a buckler. It is a bit cumbersome and controlled by both an arm strap and a handle such as a European style heater shield or just a handle such as a Roman, Viking, etc centerpunch style or large wall type shield depending on historic shield types you allow or envision, therefore it would not allow you to load, aim or fire a crossbow with any amount of skill or efficiency.

Regarding spell resist or breaking we rule that a turn is all players and Zargon. Therefore if Zargon does not initially break a spell when cast he must wait one full turn to try again, meaning all players are allowed one action before the affected monster has a chance to break the spell. We of course play this the same way in reverse if Zargon cast a spell at a player to be fair.
This is exactly the opposite though of how we play a monster's free attack when discovered in a search. The monster is allowed one free attack and then again on Zargon's action on the same turn. We allow this as the effect of surprise. If a player searches and discovers a monster that monster gets an attack on the player who searched. If any players still have an action they are free to attack that monster before Zargon acts, if it was the last player in turn to search and discover that monster will get to attack a second time immediately but may choose to attack a different target and he may move at that point if he wishes.
Balinor

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Fullork345 » February 18th, 2015, 2:44 pm

Daedalus wrote:I think my group also played it that Sleep could be broken on Zargon's turn. Intuitively, it makes sense that a monster gets to break something on it's turn as a reaction. There's no game-breaking need to do otherwise, but it does penalize the Wizard for going last in the Hero order (which is recommended in the Instruction Booklet). If a monster fails to immediately break the spell, it will get a virtually-immediate second chance to break the spell again if the Wizard doesn't begin the game earlier in the Hero turn order.

Contrast that to having the Wizard start the game first in the Hero turn order. If the monster fails to immediately break the spell, it is likely the other 3 Heroes will get a chance to attack it without it being allowed to defend. Only after those freebie Hero attacks will the monster get a second chance to break the spell.

I prefer to have Hero turn order not affecting the effectiveness of a spell. Since the card doesn't specify whose turn is used to break the spell, however, either way is acceptable.

Good points. I never looked at it that way, but then again I don't think I ever did the recommended order.
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Game Systems