• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Plate Armour

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Plate Armour

Postby cornixt » October 6th, 2015, 9:35 am

Daedalus wrote:How about this? Keep the 1-movement-die restriction only when combined with an action. That way combat could be affected with a slower initiative, but just moving could be set at 2 movement dice. That would save game time and keep the tank close to the action (or far from pursuers!)

I really like that one. He gets suitably slowed down when doing stuff but can keep up when running down empty corridors.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby wallydubbs » June 5th, 2019, 10:58 am

Although the 1 movement dice is a bit of a hindrance, the option of "Is it really worth it" is only overcome by necessity.
If a hero chooses to equip plate mail with a helmet, longsword and shield we're looking at 6 defense dice! Asides from those really lucky (or unlucky) rolls only traps can essentially harm the hero.
However, in later quests (such as Frozen Horror and Mage of the Mirror) the option becomes viable. Is it worth it? Well now that I have Elven Boots or Snowshoes of Speed it is.
Plus if you're rich enough to buy plate mail, odds are you'll be able to purchase a couple of Potions of Dexterity, and, oh look, we found a use for Swift Wind!
If you're still dissatisfied you can always use the European version of Plate Mail, which is only -2 on your movements.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » June 5th, 2019, 11:29 am

wallydubbs wrote:If you're still dissatisfied you can always use the European version of Plate Mail, which is only -2 on your movements.

Which version is that? In the Dutch version, you have to discard 1 movement die, as is the case for at least the English and German versions, too. I am not well-versed enough in other languages to check those too, though.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » June 5th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Maurice76 wrote:
wallydubbs wrote:If you're still dissatisfied you can always use the European version of Plate Mail, which is only -2 on your movements.

Which version is that? In the Dutch version, you have to discard 1 movement die, as is the case for at least the English and German versions, too. I am not well-versed enough in other languages to check those too, though.

Oh...that must be from the first version with The Maze as the first quest. I have a copy of the Dark Company Hero Quest and the plate mail is -2 spaces. Much like the duration of Courage and Rock skin was added in later versions, this must be another change made to the game...

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » June 5th, 2019, 2:16 pm

wallydubbs wrote:Oh...that must be from the first version with The Maze as the first quest. I have a copy of the Dark Company Hero Quest and the plate mail is -2 spaces. Much like the duration of Courage and Rock skin was added in later versions, this must be another change made to the game...

Strange, I have a few versions and never noticed that. Checking my big pile of spare cards from decks featuring both versions of the spells, decks with cloak, decks without, and all my Plate Armours are the same.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » June 5th, 2019, 2:22 pm

cornixt wrote:
Daedalus wrote:How about this? Keep the 1-movement-die restriction only when combined with an action. That way combat could be affected with a slower initiative, but just moving could be set at 2 movement dice. That would save game time and keep the tank close to the action (or far from pursuers!)

I really like that one. He gets suitably slowed down when doing stuff but can keep up when running down empty corridors.

I must of missed that idea... I like it.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » June 5th, 2019, 3:25 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:
wallydubbs wrote:Oh...that must be from the first version with The Maze as the first quest. I have a copy of the Dark Company Hero Quest and the plate mail is -2 spaces. Much like the duration of Courage and Rock skin was added in later versions, this must be another change made to the game...

Strange, I have a few versions and never noticed that. Checking my big pile of spare cards from decks featuring both versions of the spells, decks with cloak, decks without, and all my Plate Armours are the same.

I have 1st and 2nd edition EU cards and it is 1d6 on both?

I have long houseruled to make platemail a little less restrictive depending on who is wearing it:
Barbarian/Slayer/Wizard - Not allowed.
Dwarf - 1d10
Human - 1d8
Elf - 1d6

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » June 6th, 2019, 6:06 am

Huh... ok nevermind. I'm wrong again: I rechecked, it does say only 1 dice... my memory was false. I must've gotten it mixed up with Sjeng's created equiptment cards, I hardly use either deck.
My bad!

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » June 6th, 2019, 7:55 pm

The Admiral wrote:Dwarf - 1d10
Human - 1d8
Elf - 1d6

At first I thought you'd wrote that the wrong way round... But of course, Platemail is hardly a hindrance for the Dwarf. It makes perfect sense.

Skipping back to the 'no Action is taken' and the 'rolling twice in 1 turn' in another thread... Perhaps that could be another bonus for when the Hero becomes a champion. Now used to the dark murky dwellings the hero skips about with ease.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » June 9th, 2019, 4:56 pm

I hope to encourage usage of the Plate Mail by some new additions:

Introducing the Paladin character, who gets +1 square of extra movement when wearing Plate (and +2 squares when he's upgraded after completing enough quests). So 1d6 + 1 (+2 if he's a leveled up veteran).

I've also included a new piece of equipment, the Rallying Horn (250 gold from the Armory) that allows you to blow the horn (counts as action) and "alert" nearby allies, so they get to roll 1 extra red die on their next movement phase. Each figure can only be "alerted" once per round of turns, on each 4th usage of a horn in the quest, Zargon rolls a white die, and if it's a skull, a Wandering Monster appears to attack the horn-blower that time.

The main reason people don't want to be slowed down is that means they'll be left behind and the quest takes longer (people are too impatient to only move 1 die worth of movement to keep pace with the slow person). So maybe this will help...

Also, you can use your gold to buy a bunch of speed potions, but that can get expensive...
Last edited by Kurgan on January 31st, 2020, 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext