• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Witch Lord Win: Does this happen often/ever?

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Witch Lord Win: Does this happen often/ever?

Postby ken » April 14th, 2011, 9:20 am

sadkitchen wrote:
el_flesh wrote:Lastly - if it is your brother's game, and he only was told what happened later on, why the hell isn't HE playing too?!?

He was working. I work from home with a variable schedule so I get to watch the nephew every now and then. When he gets back from the working he usualy takes over running the Dwarf and Wizard. Got his wife to play a couple of times too. Good family fun.

-SadKitchen

Good family fun :?: With you all the way, we play three generations sometimes, (not Grandma)
As to PTR, I don't want some 10 year old beating me up if he gets stranded :!: But, Hey, he knows the outcome now, so I will leave it up to him, may have to call on you young Studs to protect me. :mrgreen:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby sadkitchen » April 16th, 2011, 11:16 pm

Best part is when he will tell you that "I'm sorry" when he rolls all shields against one of your attacks.

Pass Through Rock a Hero to death= funny.
Block and attack = appology needed.

My family is weird.

-SadKitchen
sadkitchen

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby sadkitchen » April 20th, 2011, 5:39 pm

My falily is weird.

-SadKitchen

But at least they arn't zombies. How many more posts before I upgrade to orc? Now that is a monster to aspire to. :D

-SadKitchen
sadkitchen

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby ken » April 21st, 2011, 2:31 am

sadkitchen wrote:
My falily is weird.

-SadKitchen

But at least they arn't zombies. How many more posts before I upgrade to orc? Now that is a monster to aspire to. :D

-SadKitchen

At least now you don't have to worry about those Pinkos chasing you . I must say that you make an ugly looking Zombie, on a par with my Ogre, now what's MY next step, Admin :?: :mrgreen:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » April 21st, 2011, 1:11 pm

I'm not about to give away the surprise. ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » May 10th, 2011, 5:37 pm

sadkitchen wrote:Hi all

I was playing Q14 the other night with my nephew (me=heroes, him=Zargon). When I encountered the Witch Lord my Elf had the Spirt Blade and could cast Earth spells. On his first turn the Witch Lord cas Command on my Elf, laughed when I rolled all ones and twos for the mind point check to resist it, and followed that up with having the Elf cast Pass Through Rock on himself and moving into solid rock. I sat there dumbfounded, one turn and I couldn't win, ever. I was just wondering if this (or anything like it) has happened to anyone else? (Or is it just me and I need to talk to my nephew about playing nice and not making his uncle cry?)

-SadKitchen

El_flesh has it right. Found in the North American Instruction Booklet, p.23:

Lost Artifacts
It is sometimes required that the Heroes
have a specific artifact in their possession
before they continue on to the next Quest.
Zargon, if a Hero dies while in possession
of an artifact, and your monsters steal
the artifact, you must include the artifact
as a special treasure early in the next Quest.

By the way, I let my 10 year-old (at the time) neice play Zargon once. Once. She slowly built up the resistance with every monster in the game as I raided the treasure deck for potions. Finally finished me off with the gargoyle and the last 2 chaos knights. :o
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby torilen » May 10th, 2011, 5:57 pm

That rule in the book is all well and good - unless this happened in the last quest. There technically would be no "next quest"
in which to give the spirit sword back to the heroes. In that case, the witch lord would have no reason to retreat to regain
his power, and would probably overtake the empire.

Of course...a really ingenious Evil Wizard would just roll with the punches, and create a new quest pack in which there is
some other new magical artifact that would kill the witch lord, but takes time to get to, and could be even more dangerous
than before. hahahaha.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » May 11th, 2011, 4:22 pm

torilen wrote:That rule in the book is all well and good - unless this happened in the last quest. There technically would be no "next quest"
in which to give the spirit sword back to the heroes. In that case, the witch lord would have no reason to retreat to regain
his power, and would probably overtake the empire.

The Emperor needn't despair yet. The next and last section of the Instruction Booklet has this to say:

Unfinished Quests
Zargon, if a Quest ends with disastrous
results (such as death for all 4 Heroes),
or goes unfinished, you should modify
the Quest before it is replayed. You can
do this by creating a new adventure
using the blank map and symbols at the
end of the Quest Book.

The next Quest is a modified version of the (last) unfinished Quest. This new adventure is replayed immediately following the last Quest where the Witch Lord did his worst to the Elf. Perhaps another avenging Elf takes up the challenge...

Your suggestion of creating a new Quest pack does sound cool. Kinda like an expanded version of the modified Quest. Anything that inspires evil laughter should probably be created if the need arises. :twisted:
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Nephew of Mentor » December 11th, 2012, 10:45 pm

Since you asked for stories of players being killed. I had a first time group that started out completely overconfident in the first level. I guess they killed a goblin without any trouble and assumed it would be that way for the whole quest. They all went off on their own and one by one were destroyed. The next time they played they had learned their lessons, unfortunately, the dice decided to teach them a lesson, and in record time the whole group was slaughtered, even after using all of their spells and potions.

One game that I expected to end poorly went quite the other way. In quest 6 the group was struggling to escape the dungeon. They were all very low on health, and had expended all healing spells and potions. Unfortunately for them, the big baddie and all his retinue were standing between them and the exit. Their only hope was with the wizard, who still had all his most deadly spells. His turn came, and sure enough, he cast pass through rock, rolled 12, and walked through the two rooms straight to the exit, leaving his party behind. Miraculously, the party won through, but in revenge they left behind the staff and wizard's cloak carried by the orc warlord's heir.
Sure it's pretty scary when the witch lord returns but what you should really be afraid of is "Resurrection of the Witch Lord". Resurrected baddies always come back more threatening than ever, usually kind of demonic with wings and horns and hell fire to announce their arrival. Think Gannondorf or Mother Brain from Super Metroid.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!
Nephew of Mentor

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » December 14th, 2012, 5:33 pm

That second story was definitely worth a recount. Score one for irony.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Game Systems