• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Game System Quests - The Gathering Storm?

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Game System Quests - The Gathering Storm?

Postby DarakuTenshi » May 23rd, 2018, 4:20 pm

I was just curious as to why people referred to the quests that come in the game system as "The Gathering Storm". While going through the Mage in the Mirror expansion quest 8 is titled "The Gathering Storm". It get the idea behind the name for the Game System quests being named that, but where did that come from and was it ever officially referred to as "The Gathering Storm" in the game system?
DarakuTenshi

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Game System Quests - The Gathering Storm?

Postby knightkrawler » May 23rd, 2018, 4:22 pm

I think Phoenix titled it that way when he wrote his revision. But I don't know for sure.
It's an awesome title though...
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby DarakuTenshi » May 23rd, 2018, 6:19 pm

Yeah, I do like the name, but I think the book title "Fellowship of Four" would work better. Especially since there is a quest with that name already.
DarakuTenshi

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » May 24th, 2018, 9:30 am

DarakuTenshi wrote:Yeah, I do like the name, but I think the book title "Fellowship of Four" would work better. Especially since there is a quest with that name already.

But what if you're playing with more or fewer than four heroes?

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » May 24th, 2018, 10:49 am

DarakuTenshi wrote:Yeah, I do like the name, but I think the book title "Fellowship of Four" would work better. Especially since there is a quest with that name already.

"Fellowship" sounds like a party of roughly half hobbits and that will not do.

How about "Murder Hobos Unite"?
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » May 24th, 2018, 11:43 am

I think we had a lengthy thread around here where people complained that the base quest book has no "cool" title. We somehow converged to "The gathering storm" before drifting away into off topic and then Phoenix named the base quest book like that. And I think it was a great title. Much better than "The fellowship without Hobbit". :lol:

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby DarakuTenshi » May 25th, 2018, 10:29 pm

Yeah, I suppose it is too close to Fellowship of the Ring. Yet, that would not be on many people's radars back in the late 80's to early 90's. I think it's more mainstream these days. Obviously when they released the HeroQuest book they didn't have any qualms with it.

I just found it odd to see someone giving the base quests the same name of a quest near the end of the last expansions.
DarakuTenshi

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » May 26th, 2018, 1:56 am

The title I used for my first set of learning quests - The Arena, The Maze, The Trial - could still apply to the entire original quest pack:
Trials & Tribulations.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » June 3rd, 2018, 3:47 pm

knightkrawler is right that Phoenix was the one to first use the Gathering Storm title, though it was actually the brainchild of Slev. Nobody has ever brought up that the title was already in use for an EQP Quest--good spot.

The Hero Quest Sticker Album simply titled the Quests The Gathering.

whitebeard wrote:

"Fellowship" sounds like a party of roughly half hobbits and that will not do.

How about "Murder Hobos Unite"?

:lol:
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » June 4th, 2018, 6:43 am

I heard about the name The Gathering Storm in the quest "Tears of Times Passed by Jacob Busby: http://north-american.yeoldeinn.com/dow ... passed.pdf
He explained in the Chronology he decided to rename the first questbook into The Gathering Storm, but I am not sure he is the first one to use this title or not:
"It is presumed that the initial Quest deals with Mentor's training of regime and the Heroes rise to fame. For this reason, I've subtitled the initial Quest Pack The Gathering Storm."

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next

Return to Game Systems