• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Orc's Bane Combined with the Courage Spell

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Orc's Bane Combined with the Courage Spell

Postby Thor-in » October 7th, 2017, 5:55 am

So we were having another epic HQ night the other night. Three heroes got trampled by the bolder in Kellar's Keep and the pour Dwarf (who is the shortest hero) got chased down step by step down the hall (must of been Gimli a natural sprinter), it was quite funny (should of taken a picture of it :lol: ). Anyways we ended up with a disagreement on how Orc’s Bane should be played with the Courage Spell. How does everyone else play both of these two cards together?
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Orc's Bane Combined with the Courage Spell

Postby Goblin-King » October 7th, 2017, 6:59 am

Courage - The next time that hero attacks he may roll two extra combat dice.
Orc's Bane - You may attack twice if attacking an orc.

With Orc's bane you attack once. Then you attack again. If under the influence of Courage the bonus only applies to the first attack as that is your "next attack". The second attack is literally a new attack and does thus not count as the next attack.
Seems pretty clear cut to me :)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » October 7th, 2017, 7:47 am

Goblin-King wrote:Courage - The next time that hero attacks he may roll two extra combat dice.

With Orc's bane you attack once. Then you attack again. If under the influence of Courage the bonus only applies to the first attack as that is your "next attack". The second attack is literally a new attack and does thus not count as the next attack.

Yes, this is absolutely unambiguous.
"The next time..." is as clear as it gets.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » October 7th, 2017, 8:59 am

Goblin-King wrote:Courage - The next time that hero attacks he may roll two extra combat dice.

That’s what I thought but they were trying to apply Courage to both attacks with Orc’s Bane. They thought that attacking twice with Orc’s Bane was only considered one attack not two.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » October 7th, 2017, 9:26 am

This is an easy one because it applies to your next attack, the fact that they get two attacks in no way means that it applies to the next two attacks. That would be 'you attack with two extra dice during the next turn in which you attack'.

You're the EWP so you decide how to interpret the rules.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » October 7th, 2017, 9:31 am

Thor-in wrote:

That’s what I thought but they were trying to apply Courage to both attacks with Orc’s Bane. They thought that attacking twice with Orc’s Bane was only considered one attack not two.

I *CAN* see where they are coming from, but Orc's Bane isn't some sort of double strike. I simply says attack twice. You attack once and then you attack once again.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby sajungzak » October 7th, 2017, 9:40 am

I see the logic in thinking both attacks are affected. Since courage lasts as long as the heroes can ' see' a monster, they have a pretty good argument. Orcs bane is limited to orcs already so I don't think it is over powered. I'd suck it up, take the hit, and move on.
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » October 7th, 2017, 10:01 am

sajungzak wrote:I see the logic in thinking both attacks are affected. Since courage lasts as long as the heroes can ' see' a monster, they have a pretty good argument. Orcs bane is limited to orcs already so I don't think it is over powered. I'd suck it up, take the hit, and move on.
It means if there's ever no monster in your sight before your next attack then the spell wears off, the two extra dice only applies to your next attack.

You don't have to such anything up if you're the EWP, your decision goes.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby sajungzak » October 7th, 2017, 10:09 am

I see how it could be interpreted that way. I think the intent is for it to stay in effect on each attack until no more monsters are seen. Otherwise, why not just say "next time you attack..."? Why include the part about it wearing off?

I understand both arguments, I simply disagree.
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » October 7th, 2017, 10:16 am

It's to stop them from casting it before they know they're about to get into a fight. It means you have to use an action to cast when the monsters have already been revealed.

It does say next attack, you get two extra dice on your next attack and the spell is broken if there's no monster in sight. It doesn't imply that you get two extra dice every time you attack until there's no monster in sight, that would be a hell of a spell. Although fire is the weakest so it wouldn't be that game breaking, but it would be well and truly a house rule, the card says your next attack.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Game Systems