Redesigning the Rescue of Sir Ragnar

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Redesigning the Rescue of Sir Ragnar

Postby Saiyaforthelight » Thursday October 15th, 2015 2:33pm

Ah, I see! I do enjoy a bit of Maths from time to time, so it might be worth checking out, particularly as I've edited nearly every quest in some way to account for my player's improving stats. Might be fun to see if I got the balance right, pinch of salt aside of course. Many thanks!

Saiya :skeleton:
My rules, modifications, spells and quests: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3380

-Saiya-
Saiyaforthelight

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Anderas » Thursday October 15th, 2015 3:36pm

Of course, if he is still completely alone, he is still not very dangerous! :)
But i can't say more as long as i don't know what you did with the rest of the Boss room.

-----door------
:goblin: :goblin: :goblin:
:orc:

is (a lot lot lot) more dangerous than

-----door------

:orc:

That said, a single Orc is not very dangerous. Your Boss Orc was taking maybe 2, maybe 3 life points. :) Did you really pit him alone against all the Heroes? :D

To be exact, my calculations predict, for a SINGLE Hero with AT3 DE2,
an Orc would do 0,32 BP damage (nearly not measurable) and an Orc with 8BP would take 5,7, more or less like your Boss Orc.

You can divide that then by anything between 1 and 4 for an entire group, depending on how good your Heroes work together and how many friends your Boss orc has around him. :D So we come out at something between 1 and 6 final result. If he was alone against all Heros, it is more about 1 BP loss. Dangerous wohoo. :o :lol:

Well, Count Mohawks Questimator predicts us solid 8 Body Point loss for the entire Quest of Sir Ragnars Rescue, and properly used, it is quite exact. It has the advantage of calculating entire Rooms as it should be.
Your Heroes have 2 Healings and 25 Body Points, so the Quest is far from dangerous! That's why i said they have "marge" left.

Final word: Any Monster works best with 3 or more body points. If you ever think about a uncommon Boss Monster, give it 3 Body Points or more; no matter the rest. Do the rest "by feeling".

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » Thursday October 15th, 2015 4:13pm

A boss is a nice twist, especially if his objective is to sneak past the heros and kill Sir Ragnar.

Alternatively you could change the alarm mechanic a bit. Set off the alarm when they reach the right hallway. And instead of revealing all rooms, just reveal the corridors and immediately dump all of the monsters in them (the nearest hallway spots).

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Ogre
Ogre

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » Friday October 16th, 2015 1:18pm

The Questimator is a good tool. But it can not account for Player and EWP skill or lack thereof. It can not account for a string of statistically odd botches or crits. {I have seen a Goblin lay waste to a group of Heroes and a Gargoyle drop in a mater of seconds. The dice have their own opinions sometimes.}
I much prefer the 'by feel' method of Gamemastering. But a tool like the Questimator is rather good place to start when designing a dungeon. Once the Heroes enter the dungeon and start interacting, it is anyone's guess how things may progress.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous