• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Why buy the tool kit?

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Why buy the tool kit?

Postby The Road Warrior » November 20th, 2014, 11:49 am

If the dwarf dies, who is going to disarm the traps?

Buying the tool kit may be everyone's lowest priority but every group should buy at least one eventually.

torilen wrote: My poison rule is that it lowers your maximum BP by a certain amount until
cured with an antidote or cure poison magic spell...something like that.

Sotiris is using this in the current PBP game and I really enjoy it. I actually wouldn't mind a mechanic that makes the effect becoming permanent at some point, perhaps after 2 quests or something similar!
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby slev » November 20th, 2014, 12:11 pm

I'm not imagining a treasure chest that zaps Mind and/or makes low mind characters gleefully fight for the bad guys for a turn or two...

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sotiris » November 21st, 2014, 5:40 am

The Road Warrior wrote:..I actually wouldn't mind a mechanic that makes the effect becoming permanent at some point, perhaps after 2 quests or something similar!

..hmmm..very interesting! I like this effect!

Why buy the tool kit?
Only in case of party split or Dwarf's absence/death as RW said.
Afterwards, it's not a bad idea for someone to be equipped with a tool kit. Just in case..

If you want some houserule here, give a bonus to the hero who carries a Tool Kit to
make better searches by including all of the adjacent squares in his searching area,
sell items higher than half-price etc.
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Schmidt » November 21st, 2014, 8:22 am

maybe be able to search for traps when you stand in a door way (I always thought that rule is stupid)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Schmidt

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » November 21st, 2014, 10:45 am

Slev brings up a great point.
I would just assume that any spell could be placed as a trap. Using a control spell as a trap would
just be outstanding. If it is a higher level game (one of the harder expansion packs), then you could
even increase the check needed to resist the spell.

And if you really want to have some fun, check out my expanded spell sets. I expand both Hero spells
and Evil Wizard spells quite a bit.

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1212

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby slev » November 21st, 2014, 10:52 am

Just thinking on this, you want to get to a state where the Heroes don't know if they'll lose BP, lose MP, be hit with an effect like Rust, or end up mind controlled.

It gets to the point where the Barbarian and Wizard are both too vulnerable if it turns out to be a MP or BP los respectively (though they can easily tank the other), while the Dwarf and Elf can only really tank one BP or MP trap respectively.

If things like Mind or Body tests are needed to escape traps later on in the quest, all the better.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » December 23rd, 2014, 9:57 pm

It sounds like your main gripe is with trapped chests. Since the Dwarf's ability only covers disarming traps, you could occasionally include locked chests that can only be opened with a tool kit in Quest notes. When the players realize they are losing out on treasure, they will surely fork over the tool-kit coin as an investment.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Jafazo » December 24th, 2014, 5:34 pm

Incapacitating the Dwarf isn't a solution.
Making traps more difficult or dangerous isn't a solution.
Improving a tool kits effect isn't a solution.
Making a tool kit more financially affordable isn't a solution.

Another Hero's reliance on the Dwarf to disarm most of the traps is, in part, the way it's meant to be when you consider the Hero's as a single team-based unit. The Wizard is supposed to handle magic, the Barbarian is supposed to be the heavy hitter etc. When you try evening the scale on trap disarming, you take away from the Dwarf's purpose. Don't steer your game toward independence between players. It's a team based effort. If the Dwarf falls, the Heroes suffer.

If your Heroes don't need to buy extra toolkits because the Dwarf is disarming everything, then they're doing something right. You should probably praise them, not panic. As long as the Dwarf is around, traps should only threaten Heroes on a 1 of 6 scale. You can only provide a customized solution so many times before your players start to feel like you just want them to gain a sense of importance from a toolkit. A player like that'll buy it just to shut his DM up or keep him happy so that he, hopefully, won't start making the world a worst place. Let the Heroes win that element of the game. Challenge them once in a BLUE with a quest that has EPIC traps, but dont make that a habit. Anytime such a Dwarf disarms a trap in my game I'd be like, "You hear the familiar click os another safely disarmed trap proving, yet again, the importance of your Dwarven talents."

The Dwarf's the man, gj. As for blue moon epic traps...

"You search for traps and discover a number of arrow traps peppered about the room." Zargon points to the 10 trap containing squares. The Dwarf, with an exaggerted smile, turns to his buddies, "This could take a few turns." His comrades agree to skip their turns so the Dwarf can disarm each trap one at a time. After disarming the first spear trap, Zargon stops the Dwarf, "As soon as you safely disarm the trap the room fills with a series of clicks all in rapid succession. ClickClickClickClackClickClackClickClackClickChick-Chick!" You realize the true masterful complexity of this trap a moment too late. Each trap has been linked and by disarming one, you've armed the rest. By Zargons second turn, all the traps will trigger!

And don't tell the Heroes that when you sounded a Click for each trap, that the ChikChik was the sound of the doors locking so they couldn't get out. I sure hope they each have a toolkit.
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby FainFlynn » March 2nd, 2015, 8:56 pm

I thought about getting rid of the rule where they can't search or disarm traps while there is a monster in the room. What say you guys? That, in addition to the lack of ability to search through doorways, I think opens the game more.

Thoughts?
FainFlynn

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » March 3rd, 2015, 4:24 pm

I don't think that's a good idea FainFlynn.
Not being able to search with monsters present is one of the situations that really create tension.
You don't want to remove everything that create difficulty.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Game Systems