• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Courage Spell

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Incorrectly Played Rules

Postby Fullork345 » June 24th, 2016, 2:05 pm

That's what I've always thought, but you could cast it on a hero, and the monsters move out of line of site canceling it before the hero swings.

It is worded badly. So I always played it right then?
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby cynthialee » June 24th, 2016, 2:28 pm

Yeah they slapped HQ together and shot it off to market as fast as they could. They saw a market and jumped at the $$ which sacrificed quality. Which is a shame. The game was interesting enough that there is still a large HQ community. {Here we are at the Inn!} Heck we are more connected as a group of people into the game than we ever where back when the game was in print.

Anyways....
This is one of those situations where I think that the House Rules situation solves the issue for the EU version. I have always played it that it stays active until no monsters are visible. But my original set was US. (I have an European English copy. The wording differences in some of the cards has threw me off a few times. I don't always pay close attention to which HQ set I grab when we play. I just grab and go.)
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » June 24th, 2016, 4:32 pm

Fullork345 wrote:I apparently always played courage wrong. Thought it lasted until line of site ended, not only one attack.
It's just your next attack, and then only if there's always a monster in your line of sight before you attack.

Saiyaforthelight wrote:Courage was only one attack in the original EU version, but was quickly changed in all later editions to be 'until line of sight is lost' - basically for the whole of the current combat, until all enemies are defeated. The intended use is for it to function in this way.
NO! It say's that you attack with two extra dice on your NEXT attack.

knightkrawler wrote:Still some dodgy wording there. "The next time" contzradicts the following "The spell is broken when..." because it points out a one-time use.
But the fact that there is that next sentence should make it clear(er) that it should in fact be the decisive part.
It wouldn't be necessary if the spell only worked for one attack in the first place, so it must determine the "multiple attacks until..." prop of the spell.
It's actually very simple but badly worded. The first sentence tells you that you attack with two extra dice the next time that you attack, the other sentence tells you that the spell is broken if there's no enemy in sight, so if you haven't attacked when that happens then you don't get the extra two dice on your next attack.

Fullork345 wrote:That's what I've always thought, but you could cast it on a hero, and the monsters move out of line of site canceling it before the hero swings.

It is worded badly. So I always played it right then?
No.

cynthialee wrote:This is one of those situations where I think that the House Rules situation solves the issue for the EU version.
The EU version is fine. You get two extra dice on your next attack. That's it, no line of sight to worry about. It's exactly the same effect as a potion of strength.

Euro 1st Ed: Two extra dice on your next attack.
Euro 2nd Ed: Two extra dice on every attack until there's no monster in sight.
US: Two extra dice on your next attack unless there's ever no enemy in sight before you make that attack.

The Euro 2nd Ed version does actually work how most people (wrongly) play the US version. Having said that, play it however the hell you like, but that's not how the US version is officially supposed to work.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » June 24th, 2016, 4:56 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:
knightkrawler wrote:Still some dodgy wording there. "The next time" contzradicts the following "The spell is broken when..." because it points out a one-time use.
But the fact that there is that next sentence should make it clear(er) that it should in fact be the decisive part.
It wouldn't be necessary if the spell only worked for one attack in the first place, so it must determine the "multiple attacks until..." prop of the spell.
It's actually very simple but badly worded. The first sentence tells you that you attack with two extra dice the next time that you attack, the other sentence tells you that the spell is broken if there's no enemy in sight, so if you haven't attacked when that happens then you don't get the extra two dice on your next attack.

Aaah, a triggering period for the spell to take effect. Makes sense, haven't seen it that way because of... well, because of that precisely.
Would be too honkin' overpowered otherwise, too.
I just couldn't see how a spell can be broken if it hasn't even taken effect, which is the target making an attack with +2 dice.
The glitches in this game...
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » June 25th, 2016, 2:16 am

I'm with Gold Bearer here.
I was shocked to realize how different the NA version is, but it's really quite simple:

You get a buff on your NEXT attack. That means exactly that.
And if the monsters manage to run away out of LoS the spell is broken. Tough luck

The last part is incredible stupid in my opinion. It's an unnecessary condition that just makes a moderate good spell worse.
There's no reason why it just wouldn't last until you attacked. I'd say it's just a remnant of the wording on the original card.
I'm glad I play with EU cards!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » June 25th, 2016, 11:10 am

my responses on this thread are proof that after a fatty joint I shouldn't post online....I get mixed up and confused and then I think I am being all smart and what not...
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » June 25th, 2016, 2:07 pm

It's quite easy to see how it evolved.

1st ed. Next attack, too weak so bumped to every attack. Every attack would be too strong so needed a braking effect, 2nd ed... Perfect. By the time it got to America, they simply made a mess of it. It reads perfectly to me, but it's made too weak and over necessary for what it needs. Changing it back to the first ed would of been a much simpler idea.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby MadMickyG » June 25th, 2016, 6:19 pm

I use the extra 2 AD until no more monsters in line of sight (usually in the room or corridor)
If my kids can get creative, they can use it between a room and corridor effectively. It's tricky, but it can be done. Hasn't been yet, but I have seen opportunities for it.
Check out my dabblings in writing.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Madhouse ... 4179561807
Feel free to let me know what you think. All comments/criticisms welcome.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MadMickyG

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » June 25th, 2016, 11:19 pm

MadMickyG wrote:I use the extra 2 AD until no more monsters in line of sight (usually in the room or corridor)
If my kids can get creative, they can use it between a room and corridor effectively. It's tricky, but it can be done. Hasn't been yet, but I have seen opportunities for it.

This would require leaving a monster behind in the current room/corridor?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby MadMickyG » June 26th, 2016, 2:16 am

My kids do that. Or one runs around trying to get treasure in other rooms (my son usually) but runs back to the group if it gets hectic, or his health is really low.

But he is good at creating a plan, if he hasn't annoyed his sisters so much they don't help him. :P

I have seen the chance a few times, and I like to reward the players when they use clever strategies!
Check out my dabblings in writing.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Madhouse ... 4179561807
Feel free to let me know what you think. All comments/criticisms welcome.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MadMickyG

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Game Systems