• Advertisement

Courage Spell

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Courage Spell

Postby lucasdp » Tuesday January 12th, 2016 12:21pm

Gold Bearer wrote:
lucasdp wrote:
cynthialee wrote:LOS requirement on this spell is a bad idea...I would suggest that it read something to the effect of it lasts until the last enemy in a combat is dispatched.

Because the LOS thing makes it so that I could run my monsters all around corners or behind furniture and ruin the spell.

I have been playing it like this throughout my recent quests and I think makes more sense. It has been easier to keep track of than LoS, and does not at all seem overpowering, in my opinion.
As long as you know that you're playing a house rules and not the intended rule. The card is clear, their next attack. I read it wrong too and didn't realise till I read this thread.

I do and so do my heroes. This was just my :2cents: that this house ruling works pretty well, if anyone else is considering it. |_P But it's totally a house rule, so take it or leave it. Up to you.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby mitchiemasha » Tuesday January 12th, 2016 5:21pm

Gold Bearer wrote:As long as you know that you're playing a house rules and not the intended rule. The card is clear, their next attack. I read it wrong too and didn't realise till I read this thread.

That's not what is says on my card. It's clear as day to it's interpretation, no doubting it's intent

I prefer the each time... It creates an auto leveling for the wizard. The more badies in a Quest, as they get harder, the stronger the spell becomes. Alternatively as the other editions, it becomes very week and worthless, like many complain about the wizard. Fixes that problem.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » Tuesday January 12th, 2016 5:32pm

Gold Bearer wrote:As long as you know that you're playing a house rules and not the intended rule. The card is clear, their next attack. I read it wrong too and didn't realise till I read this thread.

Yes, but if the spell is not broken, then their next attack gets the bonus as well, and then their next and so on until it is broken. well that's how I play it anyway.
The Admiral

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » Tuesday January 12th, 2016 8:40pm

I'm not trying to tell anybody how it should be played here, I'm just trying to sort out the official rules.

mitchiemasha wrote:
That's not what is says on my card. It's clear as day to it's interpretation, no doubting it's intent
But Lucasdp is using the US cards, that's not what it says on those. So again, just to be clear, the EU 2nd ed says that they gain two extra attack dice each attack, and it's broken when there's no monster in sight :?:

The Admiral wrote:
Yes, but if the spell is not broken, then their next attack gets the bonus as well, and then their next and so on until it is broken. well that's how I play it anyway.
I see what you're saying but that's definitely not how it reads to me now that I've read it again. They get two extra dice on their next attack full stop. This is broken if there's ever no monster in sight before their next attack.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2454

Wanna learn martial arts? Check out my youtube channel, tutorials coming soon. By far my most popular video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie6BkN-3E

Gateway to higher dimensions - DMT, Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtT6Xkk-kzk

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » Wednesday January 13th, 2016 11:22am

Gold Bearer wrote:
The Admiral wrote:
I see what you're saying but that's definitely not how it reads to me now that I've read it again. They get two extra dice on their next attack full stop. This is broken if there's ever no monster in sight before their next attack.

Yep, you are probably right, but as you say, we can all play as we like, as long as everybody agrees.
The Admiral

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » Wednesday January 13th, 2016 12:11pm

Gold Bearer wrote:So again, just to be clear, the EU 2nd ed says that they gain two extra attack dice each attack, and it's broken when there's no monster in sight :?:
I checked the cards here to see if I'd somehow missed the 2nd ed EU cards but the the ones here ARE the 2nd ed cards. :oops:

Courage is two extra attack dice each attack until there's no monster in sight, rock skin is two extra defence dice until they loose a BP and a sleeping monster doesn't wake up before they're first attacked, they wake up after, giving the heroes one undefendable attack (I'm fairly sure that you didn't get a free attack like that in 1st ed but I can't check at the moment). Those are big improvements.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2454

Wanna learn martial arts? Check out my youtube channel, tutorials coming soon. By far my most popular video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie6BkN-3E

Gateway to higher dimensions - DMT, Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtT6Xkk-kzk

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Fullork345 » Sunday June 19th, 2016 1:23pm

Wow, never realised it's only the next attack. I always took it the spell lasts until the monsters aren't seen so you keep attacking.
Fullork345

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Incorrectly Played Rules

Postby Saiyaforthelight » Thursday June 23rd, 2016 3:40am

[This post and the following self-same titled posts were moved from Incorrectly Played Rules on 8/23/16. The quoted text was added for clarity.]

Fullork345 wrote:I apparently always played courage wrong. Thought it lasted until line of site ended, not only one attack.

Courage was only one attack in the original EU version, but was quickly changed in all later editions to be 'until line of sight is lost' - basically for the whole of the current combat, until all enemies are defeated. The intended use is for it to function in this way.
Last edited by Daedalus on Monday August 22nd, 2016 6:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved off-topic posts to this thread
My rules, modifications, spells and quests: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3380

-Saiya-
Saiyaforthelight

Fimir
Fimir

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Fullork345 » Thursday June 23rd, 2016 9:22pm

Saiyaforthelight wrote:Courage was only one attack in the original EU version, but was quickly changed in all later editions to be 'until line of sight is lost' - basically for the whole of the current combat, until all enemies are defeated. The intended use is for it to function in this way.

Even though the American version says "next attack"?
Fullork345

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Friday June 24th, 2016 2:46am

Still some dodgy wording there. "The next time" contzradicts the following "The spell is broken when..." because it points out a one-time use.
But the fact that there is that next sentence should make it clear(er) that it should in fact be the decisive part.
It wouldn't be necessary if the spell only worked for one attack in the first place, so it must determine the "multiple attacks until..." prop of the spell.

Boy, my rules writing is so much better than the original. And English is not even my native language.
The mistakes they made...
Oh the humanity.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Game Systems