• Advertisement

First quest: The Maze or The Trial?

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: First quest: The Maze or The Trial?

Postby Jackyboy » Wednesday December 4th, 2013 7:23am

Andy P wrote:
Nephew of Mentor wrote:Arguably, the name Felmarg sounds pretty evil. Perhaps the foul gargoyle is hiding in the tomb of an equally foul Felmarg.

Haha... I wonder if Verag was put there to stop Fellmarg coming back from the dead, or something. A very different sense of "guarding"!

Well if that were the truth then the heroes have just left it wide open for a resurrection of evil! Maybe not as such a heroic move by our band of brothers :? :lol:
Please PM me if any of my old links to files are currently down. I am in the process of hosting them somewhere new!

:)

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Jackyboy

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Ye Olde Inn is proudly hosted by

Proudly Hosted by MDD Hosting

Host your Website at MDD Hosting by clicking the logo above and Ye Olde Inn will receive a commission that we'll put toward keeping Ye Olde Inn online for everyone to enjoy!

Postby Redav » Sunday January 5th, 2014 8:14am

Until I joined here, I didn't realise that there was anything other than the EU quests etc. I have two groups playing and I got the players using the EU rules to start with The Maze because I wanted to start with something different and I knew The Trial was tough. The other group is playing by the NA rules but they started with The Trial and hosed it :lol: That was mainly to see what different the body points would make. Might throw the Arena in as an extra but we'll see.
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby bastianbux » Sunday January 5th, 2014 10:54pm

As an American, I never even knew The Maze existed. Looking at it recently... it's quite boring and very strange, and I can see why it was later replaced with The Trial. First of all, it's empty. Second of all, it is very unlike a typical Quest: the characters start at four separate corners of the dungeon... how did they get there? Did Mentor just... transport them there?

However, The Trial is much too difficult. The next time I run the base game again, I will probably just skip it and move straight onto Ragnar, or something.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby JasonMCM » Monday January 6th, 2014 2:24am

Though I have never played the maze, it looks like a total snore fest. As for the Trial, I never noticed it to be 'too' hard. Maybe I was lucky running it all those times as a kid.
Do you PBP? I do. See my exploits below.

Amy the Amazon
Interactive HeroQuest
Sir. Jason the Champion
Trapped in the Dark
Swiftfoot the Elf
The Dark Company
Zargon the Evil Wizard
Core Quests Redone

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
JasonMCM

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Fullork345 » Sunday February 15th, 2015 6:32pm

I used to get a few kills with the Trial, maybe once a group wipe. But untill these forums, I never noticed that it had everything in it. The last time I played it the group got through it without a death, but I saw it's actually pretty easy if you just head straight for the gargoyal and not go towards the mummy's tomb.
Fullork345

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Monday February 16th, 2015 3:01am

A blocked square here and there and some differently planned doors would help limit multiple choices and force the heroes through more (or every) rooms.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Andy P » Monday February 16th, 2015 1:41pm

knightkrawler wrote:A blocked square here and there and some differently planned doors would help limit multiple choices and force the heroes through more (or every) rooms.

You say that as though limiting choice and forcing heroes along a railroad is a good thing?
Andy P

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » Monday February 16th, 2015 2:10pm

Andy P wrote:
knightkrawler wrote:A blocked square here and there and some differently planned doors would help limit multiple choices and force the heroes through more (or every) rooms.

You say that as though limiting choice and forcing heroes along a railroad is a good thing?

Well, it is "the Trial" and completely contrived by Mentor. So why not?

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Monday February 16th, 2015 3:26pm

Because it is more interesting if you have choice :)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Monday February 16th, 2015 4:39pm

Andy P wrote:

Absolutely not. It was a suggestion for the meek-hearted who might feel that way.
I prefer the original Trial BECAUSE of the coincidents and very diverse outcomes I've seen.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Game Systems