• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

First quest: The Maze or The Trial?

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

First quest: The Maze or The Trial?

Postby Andy P » November 23rd, 2013, 8:03 pm

So, when starting a new campaign: The Maze or The Trial?

Back when I were a lad, we all played The Maze (as that was the only option) and liked it, and we walked uphill to school both ways etc etc.

Now... I can see that The Maze might not be super fun, coming to it again as an adult. It's really just wandering around a mostly-empty dungeon with very little threat until you find a secret door. There's not much to it, and being lost (until the evil wizard basically has to tell you "DON'T FORGET YOU CAN SEARCH FOR SECRET DOORS, HINT HINT") isn't much fun. I can see why they decided to replace it with The Trial, which is an interesting quest in its own right and (as the NA version takes pains to point out) forces the heroes to learn to work together in a way that The Maze doesn't.

However... my problem with The Trial is this: it shows everything, straight away. I still remember playing as a kid and thinking "wow, that Gargoyle model is really scary, I don't really want to fight against it!" But in The Trial - there's a Gargoyle, in fact there's at least one of every different monster - it's all there, right from the first quest. It even has all the furniture! In fact, the second quest seems like a massive let-down because it's much easier with much less threatening enemies. There's no build up to more frightening later quests, because the first one already showed you everything.

So: the first quest in a new campaign... The Maze, or The Trial?
Andy P

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: First quest: The Maze or The Trial?

Postby The Road Warrior » November 23rd, 2013, 8:17 pm

The Rescue of Sir Ragnar ;)

and welcome to the forum.
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » November 24th, 2013, 4:46 am

Yup, we skip the first one too. Maze is boring, Trial is way too hard for beginners.
I actually played an alternative starting quest with a goblin cave first. The story being that these new adventurers wanted to make a name for themselves, and get some loot, and went goblin hunting.
When they succeeded, they caught the Emperor's attention, and were asked to go and rescue Sir Ragnar :)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » November 24th, 2013, 4:51 am

I love the Trial. I usually get a kill or two in. Last time I ran it, though was at a game store and against two veteran war gamers. You all would have paid to see me get my ass kicked so badly.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » November 24th, 2013, 4:52 am

I always play The Trial with new heroes, but they may use every resource they have (spells) and search for treasure.
Last time I killed two heroes nonetheless. This quest is there to test players and their mindset. Do they have fun even losing or are they the humorless type you don't wanna play with for more than two quests.
I teach my players that I'm there to compete and have to know soon-ish if everyone can deal. I go so far as to think that was the creators' intention in writing The Trial.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » November 24th, 2013, 5:38 am

The Trial any day.

a) You might actually kill a hero or two. Teaches the players that they must deal with dying (just like in real life).
b) It's actually challenging. The heroes definitely won't find it boring! Hard maybe, but not boring.
c) You get a taste of everything. Okay wow - a mummy is really tough. Maybe I shouldn't try to solo three of them.
d) The Maze is kinda lame...

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » November 24th, 2013, 6:11 am

The Maze is lame. I'd prefer The Arena just for rule teaching lessons any day.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Nephew of Mentor » November 24th, 2013, 12:31 pm

I have always done The Trial, and the last two times my heroes played they were completely wiped out in spite of the fact that I am a softy. However, once I get around to printing the quest books I intend to print out The Maze and insert that in the game system book.
Sure it's pretty scary when the witch lord returns but what you should really be afraid of is "Resurrection of the Witch Lord". Resurrected baddies always come back more threatening than ever, usually kind of demonic with wings and horns and hell fire to announce their arrival. Think Gannondorf or Mother Brain from Super Metroid.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!
Nephew of Mentor

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » November 24th, 2013, 12:56 pm

Nephew of Mentor wrote:I have always done The Trial, and the last two times my heroes played they were completely wiped out in spite of the fact that I am a softy. However, once I get around to printing the quest books I intend to print out The Maze and insert that in the game system book.

Players that make dumb decisions are quickly cured.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby soppathekeitto » November 24th, 2013, 12:59 pm

Goblin-King wrote:The Trial any day.

a) You might actually kill a hero or two. Teaches the players that they must deal with dying (just like in real life).

so far 9 (in a week)
b) It's actually challenging. The heroes definitely won't find it boring! Hard maybe, but not boring.
Yep my son was REALLY GLAD AND JOYFULL when he and mother finaly survived Trial

c) You get a taste of everything. Okay wow - a mummy is really tough. Maybe I shouldn't try to solo three of them.
not really it took mee about 21 Dice Row to kill :shock: :lol: :oops: and that mummy is the reason my sister started to like being MORCAR.. - She killed one of my character.. (not Amatsonia)

d) The Maze is kinda lame...
YEAH i allways hate that.
Morcar 14 charater killed Character 0 survived the TrialAmatsoni 4 (Quest) survived
http://imageshack.us/g/1/10430133/
soppathekeitto

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: Suomi
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Game Systems