• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Magic Rings

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Magic Rings

Postby Patroclus » August 4th, 2013, 6:14 am

Something is missing from HQ, while exists in every other warhammer game. This is the magic rings.

In Advanced Heroquest there are only two types of rings, ring of protection/ring of magic protection, and every hero can wear only one at a time. The first raises the Defense and the second cancels a spell by rolling successfully (something like) a black shield.
In Warhammer Quest the “spell ring” can store a spell (by drawing one spell card randomly) that you can use once per quest.
And in Warhammer Fantasy Battle 3rd Edition (that’s when HQ appears) magic rings can also store a spell, after the first use (on the second or subsequent time) if you roll a black shield the ring is empty (I think you roll before you cast the spell but you lose your action, and that’s why you didn’t roll from the first time). Also in the first time you are rolling a D6 and if you score a 6 the spell randomly is something else than you are thinking (by drawing one spell card randomly?).
The common for all these systems is that all the heroes can use magic rings. in my opinion the third system is the most interesting, but for sure the magic rings are a very good alternative of scrolls and a fine reward for your treasure rooms.
Last edited by Patroclus on June 25th, 2014, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Magic Rings

Postby The Road Warrior » August 4th, 2013, 7:58 am

Patroclus wrote: in my opinion the third system is the most interesting, but for sure the magic rings are a very good alternative of scrolls and a fine reward for your treasure rooms.

I agree, I like the slightly random element to the third system.
I can already see a small quest pack where the Heroes have to search for four 'elemental' magic rings that store one spell from each of the game system spell sets. Maybe to defeat a shape shifting boss that shifts between an earth, wind, fire or water form.

The ring of magic protection could be useful for a quest pack similar to Wizards of Morcar where the main enemies are magicians.

The ring of protection is my least favourite. I would have to limit it's use per quest, in a similar way to the third system, or write a quest that is full of really tough monsters.
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » August 5th, 2013, 2:34 pm

I had tackled that a good while ago - Here is the link to the first expanded treasure and
artifact sets I created:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1201

The PDF is fully updated, as far as I know. It includes:
rings that allow the elf and wizard to learn more spell groups; rings that allow any player
to learn one spell, two spells, or three spells; wands that allow a user to control spells from
specific spell groups, based on the gems that are placed into the wand.

Feel free to use these in any quests discussed here. I meant to do this same idea, but never
got around to it as of yet.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby torilen » August 5th, 2013, 2:37 pm

I've mentioned before, but you could use amulet and pendants, as well.
I don't know what others would allow, but in my home rules, I allow one
necklace item (necklace, amulet, pendant, etc). and up to three rings on each
hand, one finger apart - basically, thumb, middle finger, and pinky finger.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 13th, 2013, 10:34 pm

It's worth mentioning that while the EU Quest Book doesn't include magic rings, the NA Quest Book does. Both the Spell Ring and the Ring of Return are artifacts found within the NA Game System. The NA Kellar's Keep makes the Fire Ring available, and the BQP offers the Ring of Warmth.

Though Heroes don't get a benefit from them, there are two other examples. Festral's Ring of Power must be destroyed in AtOH, and the Heroes are each awarded a Ring of Brilliance at the end of The Dark Company. A creative Morcar/Zargon player could always assign a power to the Rings of Brilliance.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby LordZeke » August 13th, 2013, 10:52 pm

Magic Rings would have been nice rewards for WoM...

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
LordZeke

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » August 14th, 2013, 12:34 am

Although I tend to use suspension of disbelief to allow the Heroes to wear any number of magical rings, if you wanted to prescribe a limit of some kind, especially if "magic ring" becomes a common artifact subtheme, I would go with "one per hand" as it allows greater customization and, assuming you make the Rings of Brilliance really good items, also doesn't lock them out of other Rings after they get them.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Game Systems