• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Quest 14: Can you do this to the boss?

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Quest 14: Can you do this to the boss?

Postby Jalapenotrellis » November 22nd, 2019, 6:28 pm

I think you can't cast spells on him. Buffs and such you cast on yourself are different.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby lestodante » November 23rd, 2019, 2:46 pm

I think it is incorrect what you say here Wally. The spells are affecting the heroes, not the Witch Lord.
If there is Myst anyone can't see properly so the hero move unseen with Veil of Mist.
Double Image effectively creates a clone of the hero for a limited time. Everyone can see it, both Heroes and Monsters, so also the WL will see a pair of Elves instead of 1.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 23rd, 2019, 6:52 pm

I can respect those views. As it says the Witch Lord is unaffected by spells, but by the way I'm looking at it, although these spells are technically being cast on a hero, they do, by extension, effect the Witch Lord. So I was seeing it as since no other spell effects him, he would be able to see past such an illusion. But I can totally understand both ways of looking at it...

What about Cloak of Shadows? No spells can be cast from within, so I guess the Witch Lord wouldn't be exempt from this either... but then technically it Does effect him...

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » November 24th, 2019, 1:21 am

Cloak of Shadows is an area-of-effect spell which alters the rules of what figures can and can't do for any unit occupying one of those 6 squares - namely, they can't cast spells or attack figures inside it.
I would read this as not so much affecting the figures as the world around them.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » November 24th, 2019, 11:22 am

wallydubbs wrote:I can respect those views. As it says the Witch Lord is unaffected by spells, but by the way I'm looking at it, although these spells are technically being cast on a hero, they do, by extension, effect the Witch Lord. So I was seeing it as since no other spell effects him, he would be able to see past such an illusion. But I can totally understand both ways of looking at it...

it is like if you cast Rock Skin on yourself, when the Witch Lord is attacking you can't use the additional dice because the Witch Lord is unaffected by spells.
Veil of Mist creates a real mist, so everyones view is offuscated by the mist. The mys is invoked by magic, but is a real mist.
Double images create an image that is tricking the enemies. If the Witch Lord is tricked or no is determined by the roll of :roll6:
The same for Hypnothic Blaze... depending where and when you meet him (UK or US and at his Court or at Barak Tor) he has 4, 5 or 6 Mind Points.
Standing to the card description, ony if he rolls a score superior to his MIND POINTS he will be affected. So it is very rare this could happen.

Anyway you have to consider that all this spells (including Cloak of Shadows) comes LATER, so when the Heroes meet the Witch Lord, none of the above spells should be used.
If you make a custom rule and allows the Heroes to use stff from the other quest packs then you have to revise the rule and the words of what you are playing.
I think the authors wanted the WL to be wounded only by the Spirit Blade, so I will consider this to adjust other spells effects on him too.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 24th, 2019, 3:21 pm

lestodante wrote:Veil of Mist creates a real mist, so everyones view is offuscated by the mist. The mys is invoked by magic, but is a real mist...
Anyway you have to consider that all this spells (including Cloak of Shadows) comes LATER, so when the Heroes meet the Witch Lord, none of the above spells should be used.
If you make a custom rule and allows the Heroes to use stff from the other quest packs then you have to revise the rule and the words of what you are playing.
I think the authors wanted the WL to be wounded only by the Spirit Blade, so I will consider this to adjust other spells effects on him too.

Valid points on the Mist.
I understand that the WoM (and MotM) spells are meant come later, but when you take into account that they're much weaker than the original elemental spells it doesn't hurt to use them effectively in the earlier quest. It actually adds quite a bit of flavor to the game.
Spells of Detection aren't usually regarded as powerful spells, but when the players are trying to build up their characters, Treasure Horde gets a moment to shine as the potential of drawing 2 Wandering Monster cards isn't as bad as some of the later quest packs.
In fact, in one of my groups, the Wizard player finds Spells of Darkness slightly more powerful then Water Spells (this will change in later quest packs when Sleep can take hold on bigger monsters with less mind points), so these WoM spells can be utilized to greater potential in early quests.

I sometimes give an evil spellcaster more (or more effective) spells from other quest packs (Try adding Reanimation from the EQP to the Witch Lord's arsenal) to compensate if the heroes are doing too well. I give Skulmar the Necromancer spells and add attack dice to the skeletons of the Forgotten Legion, just to make them more formidable.

But you make a valid argument to customize rules regarding these spells early on (since they weren't around when RotWL came out).
I was actually thinking about this earlier regarding the Spell Ring, as that artifact was released with the Game System (when there were only 4 spell sets), a modification with additional spells would be that this artifact, instead of being able to use 1 spell twice, the hero could store any spell in it (it can be one he already selected or one from a nonselected group).

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to Game Systems