• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Elf Spells in first quests

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Elf Spells in first quests

Postby bastianbux » February 9th, 2013, 7:40 pm

I'm gearing up starting HeroQuest with a bunch of friends who have never played it and/or who (like me) have played it so long ago (two decades ago) that they don't remember much of anything.

One thing that always annoyed me when I was a kid was the whole Elf using one of the Wizard's elemental choices but then later getting his own spells in the Elf Quest Pack. I'm thinking about just starting the elf out with his choice of three of those Elf Spells and letting the Wizard have all four elements. Can any of you lot foresee any reason why this might be problematical? Also, as far as I remember, there is no in-game explanation as to why the Elf suddenly has these new Elf Spells, is there? If there is, I'll discard this idea.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Elf Spells in first quests

Postby torilen » February 9th, 2013, 8:48 pm

I can't foresee any problem off the top of my head. Of course...if you look at my expansion sets
(under the other expansion topics thread), I have greatly expanded the spell lists anyhow. AND,
I would allow any of those groups to be played from the start.

But that is just me.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » February 10th, 2013, 3:19 am

The wizard is underpowered, anyway, so giving him all 12 spells is quite a good idea in its own right.
So if you have the Elf spells at hand, use them as you suggest.
I see no problem with that.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Have fun playing! |_P
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » February 10th, 2013, 4:13 am

Welcome to the forum!

What I'd do is carefully read and pick the Elf spells that aren't TOO powerfull, because otherwise the base game will be WAY too easy. Or I'd start out the original way, and after 5 quests introduce 3 handpicked elf spells, and at the end of the base game have the Elf take his pick of all the Elf spells. Just to even it out a bit.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby bastianbux » February 10th, 2013, 7:48 am

Thanks for the welcomes and advice, guys!

I like the suggestion of handpicking the spells for the Elf and then allowing him to choose during the expansions. My primary concern was contradicting any in-game narrative by allowing him these spells right from the get-go. I couldn't remember if there was some sort of story of him gaining access to them. It sounds like there's not... which is certainly helpful in making this change, but curious. Why DID the Elf suddenly have access to a whole new set of spells in that quest pack with no story explanation? Ah well.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » February 10th, 2013, 12:25 pm

I suppose it's all about the theme of the quest pack.
MB obviously wanted to do a quest pack for each hero to go in depth with the character.
For the spellcasting Elf, a set of new spells is the obvious choice.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » February 11th, 2013, 8:15 pm

Perhaps Queen Terrellia made the spells available for Mentor to share with the Elf Hero. This boost would help him prove his worth and ultimately succeed. She did want her daughter rescued, after all.

Aside from that speculative fluff-subtext which of course wasn't stated, I also think it is okay to start the Elf with the Elf spells. The problem is cherry-picking from the eight available. Sjeng's suggestion is a good one. Another would be to require randomly picking the three spells for a Quest with the option of denying a few of the more powerful spells until later. At some later point free choice could be allowed, certainly by the time the Elf Quest Pack was reached.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Blackthorn » February 11th, 2013, 9:54 pm

I was thinking of doing the same thing for my HeroQuest group since the Wizard player is feeling a bit under powered. The elf spells are kind of unusual though and i wonder how they would play out. The Twist Wood spell seems kind of useless without the elven archers of the Elf Quest Pack, unless you decide that the base game monsters are affected somehow. Perhaps a fimir whose axe handle is warped can only attack with one attack die.
Fear the chinkle!

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby bastianbux » February 11th, 2013, 10:00 pm

I was thinking about going through the Elf Spell cards and selecting the three that make the most sense in the context of the first set of quests and then once we get to the actual Elf Quest pack he can choose from the full deck.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » February 12th, 2013, 8:18 am

Blackthorn wrote:The Twist Wood spell seems kind of useless without the elven archers of the Elf Quest Pack, unless you decide that the base game monsters are affected somehow. Perhaps a fimir whose axe handle is warped can only attack with one attack die.

Daedalus and I whipped up something regarding this topic here: http://www.yeoldeinn.com/hqforum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=378

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Game Systems