• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Difficulty

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Difficulty

Postby chaoticprime » October 13th, 2013, 10:27 pm

The Road Warrior wrote:
Goblin-King wrote:Really? You sure?

We've always played that pits only open if someone actually step on it.
And why would spear traps be deactivated just because you spot it? That also highly devalues the dwarf/toolkit.
And you cant make spear trap mazes?

And it kinda fixes the problem with being able to search too big an area.

sadface! :(

Gotta look that up later...

That's the way we play it ( I forget what the rules actually say). I also don't reveal a trap twice. Once the players have found it, it's up to them to remember where it is.

That's how it works.

Also, when revealed monster move into unrevealed areas, I stop them one square just out of sight but inform the player that that was the last location it was seen. When the player reconciles that distance, I move the monster to a then-revealed location of my choosing as long as the monster could have logically reached there by this new point in time.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » October 14th, 2013, 12:08 am

chaoticprime wrote:Also, when revealed monster move into unrevealed areas, I stop them one square just out of sight but inform the player that that was the last location it was seen. When the player reconciles that distance, I move the monster to a then-revealed location of my choosing as long as the monster could have logically reached there by this new point in time.

That's exactly how I do it. Telling players what's happening loosens them up and takes the cheating suspicion away if there was any.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » October 14th, 2013, 1:58 am

I think I'll change my playing rules to NA concerning traps too. Makes more sense to spot a trap first, place a marker, and then attempt to disarm them. Spear traps always disarm though, as those can simply be sprung while staying next to it. A pit is another story.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » October 14th, 2013, 2:27 am

You don't place a marker unless its a sprung variety of pit trap or collapsed ceiling.

Also, new trap tile I just made: Image

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » October 14th, 2013, 4:04 am

Bucket of Troll Puke trap?
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » October 14th, 2013, 7:24 am

knightkrawler wrote:Bucket of Troll Puke trap?

What are they eating to turn their vomit green? More like troll crap after drinking a bunch of grape soda.

Rewards:
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Infje » October 14th, 2013, 8:36 am

Thank you all for your input. I've decider I'm going to use this:

Whenever heroes enter corridors, in which monsters are placed out of sight, but are not blocked by doors/rocks, I inform them that they can hear sounds in the distance. This warns them that there might be danger and allows me move around any monsters without discussion. The same goes for when they walk away out sight. When a revealed monster moves into unrevealed areas, I stop them one square just out of sight but inform the players that that was the last location it was seen. I move the monster around (on my map) based on it's chart. It will only be revealed again when it's in the line of sight.

I think that's a houserule that stays close to the game. Still thinking about the traps. I want it to be a official as possible. I have the NA version of the game. I'm going to use the housrule of allowing searches from corner to corner which makes it more realistic, I think.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Infje

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » October 14th, 2013, 9:01 am

That's all good-ruling.

Rewards:
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby mako-heart » October 14th, 2013, 9:27 pm

chaoticprime wrote:You don't place a marker unless its a sprung variety of pit trap or collapsed ceiling.

Also, new trap tile I just made: Image

Truth |_P
Bad ass Acid drop! :o "that part of the ceiling looks like it's dissolving."
ALL YOUR WALL SPELL BASES ARE BELONG TO US!!!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
mako-heart

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Fullork345 » November 10th, 2013, 9:21 pm

Does the later expansions make the game harder? My group finds the us version to easy.
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Game Systems