• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Chests? How do they work?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Chests? How do they work?

Postby Malcadon » Tuesday January 8th, 2013 12:29pm

I never liked how the rules for searching works, so I allow a room (namely the floor and walls) to be searched for treasure only once, while individual pieces of furniture (save for chairs, stools, blazers and any other 'loose' items) maybe search for traps or treasure, by standing next to them. Secret doors hidden by furniture (e.g. the old passageway in the fireplace, or the classic rotating bookcase schtick) would be found automatically, by a searching them for treasure. There is what it looks like on my game notes:

* Search for Traps in the room or corridor you are in, or the furniture your are standing next to.
* Search for Treasure in the room you are in, or the furniture your are standing next to.
* Search for Secret Doors in the room or corridor you are in.
* Disarm Traps on the space it is on, or by standing next to the furniture it is in.

The major difference between chests and other furniture, is that chests are usually locked. Forcing-open a locked door or chest requires a roll of Combat Dice equal to the Hero's base attack score - A "Feat of Strength." One Skull opens the lock (an easy feat). If a Black Shield was rolled, then a Wandering Monster appears, as he was being too noisy. This counts as an action. Picking a lock requires the Dwarf to roll a White Shield to open it, while any other Hero need to roll a Black Shield, if they have the Tool Kit to do so. This also counts as an action.

My system is a little more complicated then the normal rules, but I try to play the game like a RPG.

Goblin-King wrote:Actually it's "Magnets, how do they work".

The funny thing is that the song is about miracles and other stuff we can't comprehend. But we actually DO know how magnets work, which just make them look hilariously stupid :D

Is it anymore ironic then Bill "Papa Bear" O'Reilly - who is well-educated, with high IQ & SAT scores - dose not know why the tides ebbs and flows, and would wrote it off for the exact same reasons you have noted?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Malcadon

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Blackthorn » Tuesday January 8th, 2013 1:01pm

Nice system, but I would imagine this adds a lot of time to the quests. The heroes might spend a long time in a well appointed room, and perhaps have to entertain an orc or two.
Fear the chinkle!

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Tuesday January 8th, 2013 4:32pm

Sjeng wrote:now that's interesting. I suggest you start a new topic with these decks ;)

I will. When I've finished compiling lists.
The decks are ever-changing.
I still need some system to mark treasure cards the heroes get to keep so that when they're to be discarded I know which deck into...
Wll, you know...
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Malcadon » Tuesday January 8th, 2013 4:33pm

Blackthorn wrote:Nice system, but I would imagine this adds a lot of time to the quests. The heroes might spend a long time in a well appointed room, and perhaps have to entertain an orc or two.

Not too much. I don't put a lot of traps in most furniture, as they would trigger a random Treasure Card draw (although, I draw it behind the screen, and read it out to the players), so they dont search for them in the most common furniture, like beds, tables, crates, and barrels. For example, they seldom search for traps on something like a table if there was (living) monsters around it, as they would figure that the only thing they would have be mindful about, are the coins the monsters were gambling with. And even with the large amount of (mostly third-party papercraft) furniture I have at my disposal, I don't pile them on, in a single game. They can also loose their chance to search a piece of furniture if they thrash it around (like throwing a crate or barrel at a monster, or turning over a table for cover - yeah, I game like that! |_P).

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Malcadon

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » Wednesday September 6th, 2017 11:04am

This is an old thread, but it's got some great ideas. Yay for discovery and thanks for sharing!

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Official Rules