• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Sleep spell re-usable?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Sleep spell re-usable?

Postby knightkrawler » October 31st, 2012, 3:53 pm

Must be bitter for an Orc, I agree...
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby el_flesh » November 1st, 2012, 6:23 am

A turn where you can't attack is almost as bad as a turn asleep.

Is breaking a spell a passive ability or an active skill?
Seeing as it's a mind point dependent roll...
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » November 1st, 2012, 8:33 am

el_flesh wrote:
A turn where you can't attack is almost as bad as a turn asleep.

Is breaking a spell a passive ability or an active skill?
Seeing as it's a mind point dependent roll...

We play it as a passive skill. It's not something the target chooses to do, like breaking down a locked door or figuring out secret runewords. It just happens. The target has already endured the spell. No need to penalize him even more by disallowing attacking.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » November 1st, 2012, 4:36 pm

I'd say since the Sleep spell can be broken at once--which happens on the turn of the Hero who cast the spell--then the breaking of a spell by a monster shouldn't be counted as an action (at least not in this case). Breaking a spell is instead a reaction, like defending against an attack (which also happens on a Hero's turn). Other forms of resisting spell effects, such as defending against a Genie's attack or rolling red dice to escape damage from a Fire spell, are also examples of immediate responses by a monster on a Hero's turn.

The two monster actions listed on p. 21 of the NA Instruction Booklet (ATTACK and CAST A CHAOS SPELL) only happen on a monster's turn, and so they may be combined with a reaction that occured on a Hero's turn. I'd say that much is clear.

Can a monster reaction also combine with a monster action on Zargon's turn? Yes is probably the best answer. Why? Consider a lucky Fimir that survives a Firestorm Chaos spell cast on Zargon's turn by a Chaos Sorcerer. It basically reacts as if it resisted a Hero's Fire spell. Going by the text on the spell card in either case (a Firestorm or Hero Fire spell), if the Fimir hasn't yet attacked it isn't prevented from attacking that turn. Thus, a monster may react and take an action in the same turn. I'd maintain that breaking a Sleep spell is yet another form of a reaction as demonstrated above, so a monster should by extension also be allowed to break a Sleep spell and take an action in the same turn. :geek:
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » November 2nd, 2012, 1:52 pm

I do not think that breaking a spell counts as an action.
I give the monster a chance to break the spell at the beggining of the turn.

It also occurs to me that the monster is under no obligation to reveel he is awake and may feign sleep until a fortuitous moment...
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » August 7th, 2023, 9:29 am

And monsters already have the ability to break the effects of a sleep spell on a fellow monster under the official rules ... just attack it!
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » August 13th, 2023, 5:29 pm

I remember my wizard hero with the wand of Recall, casting 2 Sleep spells on undeads on each of his turn. Italian version didn't say the spell has no effects on undead so they automatically went to sleep (Mind 0)!
It was very frustrating!
I also guess the text was so long so they didn't add the part about discarding it.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to Official Rules