• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Thougthts on the cost of things

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Thougthts on the cost of things

Postby torilen » April 27th, 2011, 6:03 pm

So - I'm wondering, has anyone toyed around with changing the price of weapons and armor in HQ?

I ask this because, when I work on creating my own gaming system(s) - I almost always put things in
terms of 50 gold, 100 gold, 150 gold, 200 gold...etc.
I do this to make it very easy to determine how hard monsters should be, how much treasure the players
should get during quests/adventures, and to allow anyone to add to the equipment list easily.

For example...have you ever thought about changing the prices of weapons and armor in HQ to make it so
weapons cost 100 gold for each AD it offers, and maybe 150 gold for armor for each DD it offers?
Granted - the evil wizard would have to adjust the amount of gold found in each quest, but that is easy now that
all of the prices are laid out simply like that.

This would also allow the evil wizard to better plan out what monsters and how many monsters are in each quest.
If the heroes have weapons that cost 200 gold, then he knows that monsters should only have, perhaps, 2 DD. If
the heroes have armor that cost 450 gold, then the monsters should only have 3 AD.

This would also allow for better implementation of Pheonix's idea of weapons and armor becoming damaged, and
needing repair, I think.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Thougthts on the cost of things

Postby drathe » April 27th, 2011, 6:07 pm

The only prices I've adjusted are that of the Alchemist's Shop potions. They're greatly overpriced and no one wastes their money on them. Now they buy and use them all the time.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby torilen » April 27th, 2011, 7:14 pm

Here is what I've put together, if anyone is interested:

OH - by the way, I've included those weapons that cause bludgeon damage - if you want to make a rule that these work better against
undead, that's the way they work in a lot of other game systems.

Weapons
Fist - Cost 0 gold - 1 AD - player must roll white shields instead of skulls

Club - Cost 0 gold - 1 AD - not used by wizard - bludgeon damage
Sickle - Cost 50 gold - 1 AD - not used by wizard
Staff - Cost 0 gold - 1 AD - can attack diagonally - bludgeon damage

Dagger - Cost 100 gold - 1 AD - can be thrown
Short Sword - Cost 200 gold - 2 AD - no used by wizard
Hammer - Cost 200 gold - 2 AD - can be thrown; not used by wizard - bludgeon damage
Spear - Cost 200 gold - 2 AD - can attack diagonally; not used by wizard
Sling - Cost 50 gold - 1 AD - cannot attack adjacent
Cross Bow - Cost 200 gold - 2 AD - cannot attack adjacent; not used by wizard

Long Sword - Cost 300 gold - 3 AD - can attack with reach; not used by wizard
Mace - Cost 300 gold - 3 AD - not used by wizard - bludgeon damage
Whip - Cost 100 gold - 1 AD - can attack with reach, or trip target; not used by wizard
Rapier - Cost 200 gold - 1 AD - due to speed of attack, can reroll 1 AD once per turn; not used by wizard

Hand Axe - Cost 250 gold - 2 AD - can be thrown; due to size of damage, can reroll 1 AD once per turn; not used by wizard
Short Bow - Cost 300 gold - 3 AD - cannot attack adjacent; not used by wizard
Broad Sword - Cost 400 gold - 4 AD - not used by wizard
War Hammer - Cost 400 gold - 4 AD - not used by wizard - bludgeon damage
Scimitar - Cost 400 gold - 3 AD - due to speed of attack , can reroll 2 AD once per turn; not used by wizard
Battle Axe - Cost 350 gold - 3 AD - due to size of damage, can reroll 2 AD once per turn; not used by wizard
Long Bow - Cost 400 gold - 4 AD - cannot attack adjacent; not used by wizard

Armors - No Armors used by wizard unless stated otherwise
Padded Armor/Robes - 100 gold - 1 DD - takes 1 turn to don/remove (robes used by wizard)
Leather Armor - 200 gold - 2 DD - takes 2 turns to don/remove
Chain Mail - 300 gold - 3 DD - takes 2 turns to don/remove
Scale Mail - 400 gold - 4 DD - takes 2 turns to don/remove - max movement 10 spaces
Half-Plate Mail - 500 gold - 5 DD - takes 4 turns to don/remove - max movement 8 spaces
Full Plate Mail - 600 gold - 6 DD - takes 6 turns to don/remove - max movement 1 red die

Small Shield - 100 gold - 1 DD - requires one free hand to use
Large Shield - 200 gold - 2 DD - requires one free hand to use
Tower Shield - 300 gold - 3 DD - requires one free hand to use
**It takes one turn to get a shield ready or to put a shield down/away

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » April 29th, 2011, 3:55 pm

Just FYI for anyone interested in this topic:

I went through the original quest book (North American) - characters get roughly 100 gold every 2 quests.
By the end of the entire quest book - each character has gotten around 675 gold or so. When you think about
making the prices of things as I have shown above - and count in the fact that they might buy some potions
and such...it could really work out well.

This would also work out great if you have expanded the armory and shop, giving them more things to buy,
and if you've given them a means of advancing themselves buy having to buy training or something.

AND - it would especially work out well if you use Pheonix's idea for weapons and armor getting damaged.

I'm working on looking at the treasure giving in kellar's keep - I know they each get 500 gold at the end - but
that still wouldn't be much, if you use weapon and armor damage and training.

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » April 29th, 2011, 4:36 pm

okay - so, for kellar's keep - you're basically looking at around 262 gold given during the entire quest book,
plus the 500 gold at the end. So, its only roughly 100 gold more overall than what the original quest book gives.

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Return to Official Rules