• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Are chests always visible?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Are chests always visible?

Postby Daedalus » June 4th, 2011, 1:32 pm

Grunok wrote:I got a question that I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere.
Are chests visible once you go into a room, or only after you search for treasure?
And (while I'm on the topic) if NOT, does disarming, searching for or triggering a furniture 'trap' reveal the chest automatically?
I'm wondering this because the quests don't really say that it's hidden, they just say "first person who searches for treasure will find *blank* inside the chest. And its hard NOT to notice a giant treasure chest in the middle of the room.
I hope I'm clear enough with my question. If you need me to be more specific on a certain part, let me know.

NA ed Instruction Booklet, p.13 covers placing chests:

How Zargon Reacts
To Hero Movement

............................... When a
Hero opens a door, place on the game-
board the monsters, treasure chests,
and any other items that belong in that
room. Note: Do not put out any traps
or secret doors. Do not reveal treasure
at this time.

So yes, they are always visible once you go into a room.

As for the chest contents, they are revealed with a Search For Treasure action from anywhere in the room (as Phoenix already posted). This will spring a chest trap if present and not previously disarmed. A chest trap may be avoided if the Search For Traps action was taken 2 turns beforehand from anywhere in the room, and then one turn before the Disarm A Trap action was taken on the chest square (Good luck balancing your Hero on the chest- we place him adjacent, at the front of the chest instead.)
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Are chests always visible?

Postby torilen » June 4th, 2011, 3:13 pm

(chuckling heartily) hahahahaha
Yes...Our resident rules expert chimes in with the page and everything.
I'm telling you, daedalus...if I ever have a question about something I
remember seeing a rule book - I'm coming to you first. You're awesome.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Previous

Return to Official Rules