• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Traps and Monsters

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Traps and Monsters

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » January 28th, 2016, 4:03 pm

AerynB wrote:That makes sense, that the monsters sort of know how to trip the trap and so even if they are on a trap square they know how to avoid springing it.

Thanks for your input, I think it helps. :)

It also makes sense that if you are a mighty evil wizard, you would have better things to do with your time than set traps, so you would get your minion monsters to do it, hence why they know where they are and how they are set. Probably send a memo around to all the monsters to make sure.... All this is dependent to the mighty evil wizard not being Skeletor!

It would make sense that falling block traps may affect monsters though, what with it being dodgy building masonry rather than a trap.

Best way to play it I think is to have fun with it, if you want to test the monster than do it, if not then don't! It all adds to the story. |_P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby The Admiral » January 28th, 2016, 4:13 pm

While the traps are still unsprung, my monsters are totally immune to them. They know how not to trigger them off. It is only once the pit trap has been sprung, and a bloody great hole is in the floor, that my monsters are just as susceptible to falling in as the Heroes are.
Last edited by The Admiral on February 3rd, 2016, 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » January 28th, 2016, 4:27 pm

The way I play, monsters do not normally trigger traps. However, if a Hero's spell or effect involuntarily pushes a monster into a square with a trap, the trap will spring! This makes flavor sense as well; monsters moving normally can be careful enough not to trip the traps, but they might accidentally bump the trigger if someone shoves them.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » February 3rd, 2016, 5:16 am

Count Mohawk wrote:The way I play, monsters do not normally trigger traps. However, if a Hero's spell or effect involuntarily pushes a monster into a square with a trap, the trap will spring! This makes flavor sense as well; monsters moving normally can be careful enough not to trip the traps, but they might accidentally bump the trigger if someone shoves them.

I Like that idea. You can just picture the :orc: tottering backwards, arms flailing, thinking "Oh crap!".

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » February 3rd, 2016, 10:18 am

ken wrote: and the block falls behind the hero,
Sometimes they fall infront. lets not forget the 3 dice rolled are for if another hero happened to be stud their not the Hero triggering it.

So in US rules it would seem monsters can jump revealed pit traps at no risk but in the UK rules have risk. I prefer the UK version.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 18th, 2016, 11:57 am

I think the EU sprung pit makes more sense, too. Still, as drathe has mentioned, losing a monster sucks when the Heroes already hold so many advantages. Perhaps go EU for monsters jumping traps like Heroes, but also go NA and allow monsters to voluntarily enter pits without taking damage. Entering a trap ends a monster's turn, same as falling in. This leaves Morcar/Zargon a strategic choice--hot pursuit or a safe advance.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to Official Rules