• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Are Bracers "Body Armor"?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Are Bracers "Body Armor"?

Postby Super Saiyan Musashi » November 15th, 2021, 12:22 am

I couldn't hep but notice that equipment pieces make mention of how Plate Mail, Chainmail, Borin's Armor, and Bracers can each be combined with Helmets and Shields, while clearly Chainmail can't be combined with Plate Mail, and same for Borin's Armor and either of those. But can Bracers be combined with body armors or no? I would think the Wizard's Cloak counts as Body armor for sure too, so that does raise a few questions about max defense for the Wizard too.
Super Saiyan Musashi

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Are Bracers "Body Armor"?

Postby Kurgan » November 15th, 2021, 12:28 am

These body armors each say they can be combined with helmet and/or shield, no mention of other types of armor so that excludes the Bracers.

But good point about the Wizard's Cloak. In the EU game you could combine the Cloak of Protection and Bracers, but there's no explicit mention here, so they probably should have clarified that. It doesn't say what can be combined with it, so it would seem not to pose any restriction (the Cloak that is).

I think we figured it was 5 Defend for the Wizard (if you add Crown of Shadows).

In the EU these pieces of equipment were only for the Wizard so this never came up (there was no Wizard's Cloak in that edition).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby manaknight14 » November 15th, 2021, 12:03 pm

I have been having the same thoughts as SSM. I actually wondered if the bracers card’s reference to shield/helmet combination was meant to say “armor/helmet.” Not only does this make the stacking with the Wizard’s Cloak more logical, but it also gives the non-wizard characters a reason to use it. As a body armor item, it’s just more expensive chain mail for them. However, if it can replace the shield without occupying a hand then it has unique applications. “Oh, you want 6 defend dice AND a battle axe? Okay, but you’ll have to swap your shield for this thing that costs almost 4x as much.”
manaknight14

Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby Kurgan » November 15th, 2021, 2:06 pm

Wizard:

Base defense (2) + Bracers (1) + Wizard's Cloak (1) + Crown of Shadows (1) = 5 defend dice

Hypothetically for Barbarian/Dwarf/Elf/Bard:

base defense + Bracers + Shield + Helmet + Chainmail = 6 defend dice (normally you'd need Borin's/Plate for 6 other than temporary effects of a spell/potion)
base defense + Bracers + Shield + Helmet + Plate/Borin's Armor = 7 defend dice!

Potion of Defense adds 2 defend dice for one turn (you can drink more than one potion on your turn)
Rock Skin adds 1 defend dice (potentially for the entire quest if you never take damage)

Nice of them to include all those extra dice in Mythic tier, eh?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » November 15th, 2021, 4:56 pm

manaknight14 wrote:I have been having the same thoughts as SSM. I actually wondered if the bracers card’s reference to shield/helmet combination was meant to say “armor/helmet.” Not only does this make the stacking with the Wizard’s Cloak more logical, but it also gives the non-wizard characters a reason to use it. As a body armor item, it’s just more expensive chain mail for them. However, if it can replace the shield without occupying a hand then it has unique applications. “Oh, you want 6 defend dice AND a battle axe? Okay, but you’ll have to swap your shield for this thing that costs almost 4x as much.”

I mostly agree. Although it is not explicitly told in the card, I think Bracers may be combined with a chain mail armour since that's the only reason a non-wizard hero wanted to buy the Bracers.

Bracers + Chain Mail could provide to non-wizard heros +2 Defence dice per 1050 gold coins, which has sense since Plate Mail per 850 gold coins also provides +2 Extra Defence dice but with -1 Movement dice reduction. Price difference between both options is quite proportional.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » November 15th, 2021, 5:26 pm

Ah, so spend more money (200 gold) to bypass the movement penalty...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » November 15th, 2021, 6:36 pm

Kurgan wrote:Ah, so spend more money (200 gold) to bypass the movement penalty...

Yeah, that's the idea... anyway a clarification from Hasbro for Bracers compatibility would be welcome. Maybe 200 gold coins is not enough price for 1 dice of movement.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Super Saiyan Musashi » November 15th, 2021, 10:09 pm

Kurgan wrote:Ah, so spend more money (200 gold) to bypass the movement penalty...

Yes, but at the same time I would think that if Chainmail can be combined with Bracers so can Plate Mail, opening up the possibility of tank-grade defense.

When I host I'll also be offering a 2-dice grade Tower Shield, which comes at a 50% movement penalty except when carried by my Sentinel hero.
Super Saiyan Musashi

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Daedalus » November 22nd, 2021, 10:21 am

I'm for playing RAW, so bracers can't be combined with chain mail or plate mail the same way chain mail can't be combined with plate mail. Aside from the armor-restricted Wizard, Sorcerer, and Druid benefiting from bracers, so too does the Bard. His special +1 Defend Die works with Bracers, both providing him with a rust-proof chain mail and helmet equivalent while saving 75 gold coins. That can buy one fancy hat!
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » November 22nd, 2021, 10:39 am

Yeah my thought would be to play it as intended as much as possible.

Prior to the Remake release was that my homebrew armory sold Bracers for 300 (only Wizard and some other weak characters could use them) and Cloak for 600 (anyone could use it). I allowed bracers and cloak to be combined (as in the EU 2nd edition) and Wizard Cloak can sub for Cloak (for Wizard/Alchemist or possibly Mystic class only).

The idea would be yes, the magic users could get extra protection but would have to pay more for the privilege. Cloak does have benefits over Chainmail (Pit of Darkness damage is less) and can't be rusted by (WOM version of) Rust spell.

More options!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups: