• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Mind Points - French Rules Page 6 and the UK/USA Rules

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Mind Points - French Rules Page 6 and the UK/USA Rules

Postby Melgar » June 13th, 2020, 12:32 am

Good Morning,

Page 6 of the french rulebook: "Un personnage peut soit gagner, soit perdre des points d'esprit lorsqu'il jette ou qu'il reçoit un sortilège." When translated this sentence states: "A Character can earn or lose mind points when he cast or is targeted by a spell".

Does anybody know why this was omitted from the other rulebooks? and does this mean that a the barbarian can only have one spells cast on him as he has two mind points and going to zero would mean death? Does this also mean the wizard loses a mind pint every time he casts a spell or heals a mind point?

Dan
Melgar

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Mind Points - French Rules Page 6 and the UK/USA Rules

Postby Jalapenotrellis » June 13th, 2020, 12:45 am

Melgar wrote:Good Morning,

Page 6 of the french rulebook: "Un personnage peut soit gagner, soit perdre des points d'esprit lorsqu'il jette ou qu'il reçoit un sortilège." When translated this sentence states: "A Character can earn or lose mind points when he cast or is targeted by a spell".

Does anybody know why this was omitted from the other rulebooks? and does this mean that a the barbarian can only have one spells cast on him as he has two mind points and going to zero would mean death? Does this also mean the wizard loses a mind pint every time he casts a spell or heals a mind point?

Dan

I am pretty sure that doesn't make sense. The wizard can cast 10 spells a game with the ring of magic not to mention spell scrolls on top of that. If he lost a mind point then he'd not even be able to cast those.

The mind point rules are usually explained for the quest pack. Like in Kellars Keep, the loss of mind points means character death unless you have an Elixir of Life as shown in the quest where there is the shapechanger and the chaos warlock who attacks mind points with dice and there is the mind point check to exit the board.

I am not on later quest packs but they change the rules in the EU Against the Ogre Horde. Not there yet with my group thanks to the coronavirus. (which is basically the new "thanks Obama" meme)
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » June 13th, 2020, 3:51 pm

I know the French questbook is the only one featuring a sommaire on the rear cover.
I am not surprised they could have changed something inside too. Anyway that description doesn't mean that a mind point is lost for casting spells, it says that mind point "CAN" be lost because of some spells.
So I think they just gave their own description for the utility of Mind Points (to be used in future questpacks as we know).

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Melgar » June 13th, 2020, 6:19 pm

Agreed, about casting 10 spells, It would make playing the Wizard a lot harder...
I just feel they are an under utilised mechanic for the base game. Maybe they had plans to introduce these in the base game but thought that would be complicating matters.
Thank you for you input and insight...
Melgar

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Return to Official Rules