• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Firing the Crossbow "through" other Heroes

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Firing the Crossbow "through" other Heroes

Postby wallydubbs » November 16th, 2019, 10:24 am

How do most of you guys handle Crossbows or any type of projectile when there's a hero compromising Line of Sight?
Here are a few different scenarios:

1.) Suppose there's a long corridor with heroes and a monster on opposite ends... if the Elf has the crossbow and Barbarian is in front of him. If the orc is too far away to be physically engaged, can the Elf fire "through" the Barbarian with the justification that the Barbarian ducked?

2.) The Barbarian and Dwarf are in the middle of a melee battle with a bunch of monsters in a room; the Barbarian happens to be standing in the doorway to an adjacent room where the Elf awaits with the crossbow for support. If the Barbarian kills an orc and has no other monsters adjacent to him, and the Dwarf fails to kill his orc, can the Elf fire through the Barbarian to kill the Dwarf's orc, whom he would have LoS on if not for the Barb?

3.) If the Barbarian is engaged in battle but the Elf can't get a clear shot... I would imagine the Barbarian is too busy to duck... but what if the Elf fires anyway?

4.) In like manner, what if there's a line going from Elf-empty space-Orc-Barbarian. If the elf fires the Crossbow and fails to roll any skulls, we can assume the bolt missed the Orc... assuming the bolt would carry on it's current course, should the Barbarian roll for damage?
Understandably if the Elf fires, rolls one skull, orc defends with a black shield, we can assume he deflected the arrow. But if it's a complete miss, couldn't the arrow hit the Barbarian (albeit accidentally)?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Firing the Crossbow "through" other Heroes

Postby Anderas » November 16th, 2019, 11:07 am

1. Yes of course you can. But there is a catch.
The arrow will unload all his damage on the way through the barbarian, and then be too weak to deal damage the ork.
2. See 1.
3. See 1.
4. Naah, it was deflected at some piece of orc armor and, as base rule, always hits the dwarf. Or if you don't like this, it just hits nothing.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » November 17th, 2019, 4:38 am

My group thinks the crossbow is overpowered and each of the heroes has one and uses it unless orthogonal and they need to use a melee weapon. We play per the rules where line of sight is broken by heroes, so no shooting through.

One thing I'm excited about is that stairways in Kellar's Keep can break line of sight in corridors, limiting the power of the crossbow.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » November 18th, 2019, 7:24 pm

wallydubbs wrote:
1.) Suppose there's a long corridor with heroes and a monster on opposite ends... if the Elf has the crossbow and Barbarian is in front of him. If the orc is too far away to be physically engaged, can the Elf fire "through" the Barbarian with the justification that the Barbarian ducked?

Maybe I will allow this situation, if the monsters are very far. But never in a room in the middle of a battle.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » April 22nd, 2020, 12:05 pm

Jalapenotrellis wrote:My group thinks the crossbow is overpowered and each of the heroes has one and uses it unless orthogonal and they need to use a melee weapon.

I find the crossbow a bit overpowered too, so for my groups I don't allow crossbows to work diagonally adjacent either. Justifying that it's still too close. This also sets a greater difference between Crossbowman and Halberdier mercenaries.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby Uncle_Elvis » April 22nd, 2020, 11:10 pm

No attacking through people of any kind. You cannot shoot the bolt through a friendly, nor can you shoot through one enemy to hit the one behind it.

As to it being overpowered, I agreed once all the heroes bought one. So, all my goblins got one as well. Even the occasional Ork has one. Fair is fair

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.
Uncle_Elvis

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » April 23rd, 2020, 3:24 pm

wallydubbs wrote:I find the crossbow a bit overpowered too, so for my groups I don't allow crossbows to work diagonally adjacent either.

You can set a limit to the arrows. They are unlimited now.

Uncle_Elvis wrote:You cannot shoot the bolt through a friendly, nor can you shoot through one enemy to hit the one behind it.

Unless you have found Lord Lane's Quiver! :mrgreen:

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Oftkilted » October 15th, 2020, 8:54 am

In the Dark Compny expansion there is a crossbow that has 6 bolts. Is there merit to making crossbow bolts for player Warriors limited? Or make them pay for a “restock” between games? IE you pay x gold and have enough bolts for an adventure?
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby wallydubbs » October 15th, 2020, 9:56 am

If we were to put a limit on crossbow quarrels, what would you say is a good price?

Rather then make the hero count how many were fired we can just say "enough for one quest". I would think bringing the price of the Crossbow itself down to 275 gold, the hero will need to pay 15 gold for a stack of quarrels before each quest if he wishes to use the crossbow...?

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » October 15th, 2020, 3:27 pm

it depends, how many quarrels are in the pack? 15 gold coins seems an easy price. I would rise it.
What about 5 gold coins for a single dart?

Rewards:
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Official Rules