• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Spell scrolls

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Spell scrolls

Postby Jalapenotrellis » October 23rd, 2019, 3:52 am

Not sure if this should go in the Kellar's Keep or RotWL forums.

I noticed that the fire spells are in both expansions but not all the other spells are in both. Are we to combine the spell scrolls into one grab bag when the Champions draw a scroll, and if so, wouldn't the fire spells included twice increase their likelihood of being chosen and decrease the likelihood of others, such as pass through rock which is only in RotWL, of being chosen?

Did you combine them, and if you did, did you leave the fire spells out the second time? I'm not sure what is intended here. One choice of each spell or was it intentional to put fire in there twice?
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Spell scrolls

Postby Goblin-King » October 23rd, 2019, 5:54 am

The sad truth is probably that the designers themselves wouldn't have an answer for you...

That being said, in these situations I always recommend to add content into the pool as you embark on each new expansion.
You start out with KK? Add those spells. Continuing with RotWL? Add those spells in addition to the ones you unlocked in KK.

Fireball is probably the most useful spell in most situations. It would make sense to include an offensive spell in both expansions.
I'd say keep 'em both! 8-)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Spell scrolls

Postby Pancho » October 23rd, 2019, 6:42 am

I just added in one spell scroll each of the 12 elemental spells, using the link below to fill the gaps. This means Kellar's Keep gets all 12 scrolls, and the same deck is carried into all subsequent expansions. (When the Heroes get to the US expansions, only then are the extra scrolls for those packs added in).

http://english.yeoldeinn.com/downloads/ ... crolls.pdf

KK & RotWL are UK games, which never had spell scrolls. The decision to add in which US spell scrolls is quite arbitrary, and I can't see a good reason why only some scrolls were added, considering that all the powers are already available to the Heroes as actual spells.

I think a simple mind based roll should also be used to see if a Hero can actually activate a spell scroll, but that's another story.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Official Rules