• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Is Witch Lord considered undead versus the spirit blade?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Is Witch Lord considered undead versus the spirit blade?

Postby mitchiemasha » September 8th, 2019, 8:23 am

The Admiral wrote:I like those sort of quirky things introduced into quests occasionally. A while back a group of our Heroes teamed up with a Chaos Warrior to fight a common enemy. He stayed with them afterwards with an ever increasing random chance, unknown to the Heroes, that he would turn on them, as he did eventually.

This is very similar to the werewolf, berserker, half ork, blood lust kind of trait. A very difficult character to play. Whenever 1 of your movement d6 is higher than your mind value you auto attack everything in reach, the other movement d6. Other heroes might want to keep a bit of distance from this guy. Not alwasy possible. Most the time a few spaces is enough as double high rolls are rare. It's a good idea to design this character with high mind, which fits the lore of being able to control the senses, urges in the first place.

A half ork controlling the orkish urge to kill all humans because of a greater hatred for orks themselves. A werewolf, resisting the smell of human flesh, when too excited (a high roll), if you're too close, you're going to get bit.

The forces of chaos are going to want to attack the mind of this character and have him succumb to it's primal instincts, reverting back to the twisted reality in which they belong. The Heroes must prevent this at all costs... whats a few scratches between friends, especially those who have journeyed to hell and back.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » September 8th, 2019, 11:11 am

Another way you could do it (but might be more difficult to pull off without pissing people off) would be to have one of the Heroes secretly working with Zargon behind the scenes (you meet with your friend and agree that at certain points he'll work against his fellows), a kind of mole or sleeper agent. After awhile though he would be exposed and ganged up on, and after that the difficulty would be getting the players to trust you again. So maybe not... go with the "random chance of guy getting corrupted" gimmick instead.

We probably won't have a Commanded hero dumping Holy Water on his own head, but it's still a funny image for me. :mrgreen:

Should the Spirit Blade do extra damage to the Witch Lord? I don't think so. I think it's enough that its one of the few things that can do any damage at all to him, and that is its purpose... to shred his lesser minions and give you a fighting chance to beat him (but yeah, 1 Body Point is too easy, go with the NA version).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » September 9th, 2019, 6:05 am

Pancho wrote:I’m laughing that this thread is still going and showing no sign of reaching a consensus. I’m beginning to see why a game of Heroquest can last Hours and hours for some players :lol:

Please carry on, very entertaining.

I hope the consensus is each to their own. And if a group can't agree then the EW should have the final say. Which in my case would be me! My game, my rules! :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » September 9th, 2019, 9:58 am

I can concur with that. But personally, I feel the arguments for and against the Witch Lord's undead status are valid either way you go. Yes, it depends on the Zargon/Morcar player's perception. I've made my stance opinion on this clear and a friendly difference of opinion is welcome.

He may actually be a Lich, for all I know, but not everybody playing HeroQuest is familiar with Warhammer, so unless it's stated otherwise in HQ cannon, a lich's existence is purely speculatory.

The argument may indeed be the Schrodinger's Cat of HeroQuest (except instead of a cat it's the Witch Lord and instead of a box it's sepulcher); can we consider him both alive and undead? By extension, behind the Witch Lord, we can then argue the same question over Skulmar and the Witch Queen. It certainly feels like there's some sort of Unholy Trinity regarding the three as the Introduction to Return of the Witch Lord states: "If these two sit along side the Witch Lord, it is said that the bones of the fallen warriors will be summoned together under the Black Banner." Are we talking an apocalyptic event with Biblical prepositions?
Quest 13 and 14 from the Game System establishes that the Witch Lord's army will attack the Emperor's army from the rear. So the Witch Lord would already have an undead army and an impressive array of spells; but presumably, Kassandra and Skulmar add something to his power; by the aforementioned passage I can imagine nothing less then the Night King. The Witch Lord is obviously the main component in this Triad, but we can assume they are somewhat like the Witch Lord with an exception that any blade (not just the Spirit Blade) can harm them. Again, Holy Water doesn't seem to register any effect on them either. But I'm assuming everyone who counts the Witch Lord as undead would factor these two as well...?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » September 9th, 2019, 10:22 am

I would rule them as such, yes.

By the way, for the longest time I assumed that Skulmar was actually a Chaos Warrior. That's mostly because of the army symmetry in the room he's in and the 3 symmetrical spots to his spot all feature a Chaos Warrior. In reality, there's preciously little about what he looks like, as far as I know, but many people assume a skeletal figure instead.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » September 9th, 2019, 11:15 am

wallydubbs wrote:I can concur with that. But personally, I feel the arguments for and against the Witch Lord's undead status are valid either way you go. Yes, it depends on the Zargon/Morcar player's perception. I've made my stance opinion on this clear and a friendly difference of opinion is welcome.

He may actually be a Lich, for all I know, but not everybody playing HeroQuest is familiar with Warhammer, so unless it's stated otherwise in HQ cannon, a lich's existence is purely speculatory.

Just read up about Warhammer Liches. It does seem to fit the WL quite well, but as you say, there is nothing in the HQ world to say he is.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 5th, 2021, 7:16 am

Maurice76 wrote:I would rule them as such, yes.

By the way, for the longest time I assumed that Skulmar was actually a Chaos Warrior. That's mostly because of the army symmetry in the room he's in and the 3 symmetrical spots to his spot all feature a Chaos Warrior. In reality, there's preciously little about what he looks like, as far as I know, but many people assume a skeletal figure instead.

Check out this post for Skulmar's possible appearance.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to Official Rules