• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Turn order when searching for treasure?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Turn order when searching for treasure?

Postby Phoenix » August 23rd, 2010, 9:15 pm

ndsandman wrote:I don't allow characters to move diagonally, share a same spot on the board, pass through a occupied spot either from another character or monster unless that person says it ok, and monster never say its ok LOL in my book. Listed on this site, people have posted their own house rules to add to the game, not sure if any of my house rules have ever violated the game printed rules.

Somethings are left up to the (Dungeon Master) even after reading them in the book. Example the game board is 26 spaces wide and 19 spaces high.
So if someone is on the bottom hallway and searches for traps, treasure or secret doors, does that person really get to check all 26 spaces wide? The entire width of the board? In my house rules I have divided the board up in quarters, so if your in the first 13 spaces on the bottom thats what you are checking, if your on 14 through 26 thats where the search is taking place. Am I breaking a rule in the game, I am not sure, I am going with more of a real life look at it.

Also if you are on the lower left square of the board walking to the right, I don't place a door on the room 24 spaces away, I play it as you would not see it till your closer. If anyone thinks thats a wrong appoach, let me know, I just thought it seems more brelievable, unless I am taking a roll-playing game to a role-playing game to much.

Moving diagonally, sharing a square (with the exception of a pit trap), passing over monsters are all against the RULES. and by RULES, I mean as written.

Passing over heroes is acceptable, according to the RULES.

According to the RULES, all traps, doors, secret doors, etc. are viewable/findable when looking down a corridor (even on the opposite side of the board).

ndsandman wrote:If you are the DM, remember if the players are having a hard time getting through it, they might quit playing, if its to easy they could get bored and might quit because of that too. A good DM keeps the players wanting more, and that is a hard job sometimes. You can not please everyone !!!!

Well thats my 2 cents worth ...

Oh and PS: Welcome as I now see you are our newest member!!!

I agree. Anyone who decides to play the game as Zargon can do pretty much whatever they want.

Personally, I like to follow the rules. My Imperial Academy rules supplement only enhances the existing rules and adds a few small new ones to add flavor. When I play, I prefer roll playing as opposed to role playing. If I wanted to role play, I would choose a different game and possibly different genre.

However, I have read many, many, many different rulesets and house rules (for HeroQuest) that would make any game more fun and/or streamlined and make gameplay more enjoyable and faster. However, make sure and pick-and-choose which ones you use and introduce them slowly to a steady group of players (or all at once to newbies).

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby drathe » August 23rd, 2010, 10:47 pm

overdog wrote:Thanks for the quick responses.

by the way draithe, looks like we're an 1-2 hour drive away from each other. Let me know if there's some type of play group in your area that is looking for new players.

I've been having trouble getting any of my current HeroQuest groups together for some time now. I've been anxious to get a new group started. I have a couple friends that are interested, but co-ordinating schedules has been a pain. If I'm able to get to know you better on the forums here, I may pass along an invite should my new group finally get things together and are comfortable with adding in another player.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby ndsandman » August 24th, 2010, 7:53 pm

Phoenix wrote:Moving diagonally, sharing a square (with the exception of a pit trap), passing over monsters are all against the RULES. and by RULES, I mean as written.
Passing over heroes is acceptable, according to the RULES.
According to the RULES, all traps, doors, secret doors, etc. are viewable/findable when looking down a corridor (even on the opposite side of the board).

Yes I was trying to say I would never break these rules, just somethings can be changed or modified. I believe in following the "core" rules.
As for roll or role playing I like them both, but when I roll play normally thats what I want to do, D&D or AD&D are fun, but require more time
and that too is fine, just i don't really have that time avalible to me at the moment.

I have a sttrong feeling my boys will be interested in Dungeon & Dragons too, and when the time comes, I will be a good father and introduce them to it.
Their current choice of drugs right now is: HeroQuest LOL. But with me back to work, and the kids starting school I feel HeroQuest will become
a weekend gaming time again. All depends on HOMEWORK . :(
Last edited by ndsandman on October 6th, 2013, 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed Quote
He Who Dies with the Most Loot
Probably Ran into the Dragon
ndsandman

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby overdog » September 7th, 2010, 9:16 am

el_flesh wrote:Our monsters are pretty ramped up in stats...

What are the increased stats on your monsters? I'm looking for a way to toughen the game up.
overdog

Forum Language: British English

Previous

Return to Official Rules