• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Turn order when searching for treasure?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Turn order when searching for treasure?

Postby overdog » August 21st, 2010, 12:47 am

Basic question about searching for treasure...
So the turn order is Barb, Dwarf, Elf, Wiz.
The barb searches for treasure first and uncovers a wandering monster. After the moster attacks the barb (if he can) is it still the barb's turn to finish... for instance lets say he hasn't moved yet?
What if in this scenario the wizard moves into the room and then searches for treasure and a monster spawns. After the monster attacks the wiz (if he can) does it then get to attack again as the wizard was the last character in the group to go before Zargon does?

Is it a rule that non treasure bearing treasure cards get reshuffled after every draw into the deck?

Any help is appreciated thanks?
overdog

Forum Language: British English

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Turn order when searching for treasure?

Postby ndsandman » August 21st, 2010, 4:56 am

Q: Barb searches treasure get wondering monster card does he get to finish his move after monster attacks?
A: When I play, and I play the Zargon (Dungeon Master Game Master etc...) I always let them continue, Then Dwarf, Elf then Wizard.
Rules: State you move then action, or action then move.

Q: Wizard last in line, searches for treasure, gets wondering monster, does monster get another attack?
A: Yes the first attack was a surprise attack, and now it's his normal attack, and any other monsters on the board as well get their turn.
Rules: Not sure if this was ever mention, during my games it done that way.

Rule Book: Also states if the wondering monster can not be placed next to the character that drew the card, place it near the character and it does NOT get to attack another character. Well in my House Rules the mosters does get to attack.

Q: Is it a rule non treasure cards get reshuffled,?
A: Page 14 in my rule book states Treasure card gold and jewels are discarded, Trap cards and wondering monster cards are returned to the deck reshuffled prior to a new treasure card being drawn.

Answer in more depth: I use the rules as a guide line, and not this is the only way to play. When I first started playing, I followed them as written.
Later on you can give in here and there to a point. I don't allow characters to move diagonally, share a same spot on the board, pass through a occupied spot either from another character or monster unless that person says it ok, and monster never say its ok LOL in my book. Listed on this site, people have posted their own house rules to add to the game, not sure if any of my house rules have ever violated the game printed rules.

Somethings are left up to the (Dungeon Master) even after reading them in the book. Example the game board is 26 spaces wide and 19 spaces high.
So if someone is on the bottom hallway and searches for traps, treasure or secret doors, does that person really get to check all 26 spaces wide? The entire width of the board? In my house rules I have divided the board up in quarters, so if your in the first 13 spaces on the bottom thats what you are checking, if your on 14 through 26 thats where the search is taking place. Am I breaking a rule in the game, I am not sure, I am going with more of a real life look at it.

Also if you are on the lower left square of the board walking to the right, I don't place a door on the room 24 spaces away, I play it as you would not see it till your closer. If anyone thinks thats a wrong appoach, let me know, I just thought it seems more brelievable, unless I am taking a roll-playing game to a role-playing game to much.

If you are the DM, remember if the players are having a hard time getting through it, they might quit playing, if its to easy they could get bored and might quit because of that too. A good DM keeps the players wanting more, and that is a hard job sometimes. You can not please everyone !!!!

Well thats my 2 cents worth ...

Oh and PS: Welcome as I now see you are our newest member!!!
He Who Dies with the Most Loot
Probably Ran into the Dragon
ndsandman

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » August 21st, 2010, 10:24 am

I am SO glad our rules no longer use wandering monsters. Treasures are a roll vs a chart anyways!

Our monsters are pretty ramped up in stats...
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Ethica » August 21st, 2010, 12:21 pm

I play that the wandering monster doesn't get another attack during Morcar's next turn. The first attack is enough as it means the monster had the initiative.

If you think about it this way it would be really unfair on whoever's turn is immediately before Morcar's because there's no opportunity for their comrades to dispatch the WM before it attacked again.

Also, I would shuffle used traps and WMs back into the pack but that's alot of shuffling and the card edges will get fluffy.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Ryno » August 21st, 2010, 9:51 pm

I think it's awesome that the monster gets to attack twice in a row! Serves those heroes right for being so greedy! I did however decrease the number of wandering monsters and hazards by half in my deck. Because it annoys them a lot and as GM, I just want my peeps to have fun and come back for more!
Ryno

Mummy
Mummy

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby SirDionysDobermann » August 22nd, 2010, 6:28 am

We play it in that situation (Hero draws Wandering Monster card before moving) that Hero's turn ends with being attacked.

In case of the Hero being the last one in turn sequence before the Gamesmaster/Morcar, the Wandering Monster gets a regular attack as do all other monsters present on the Gamesmaster's turn. The Gamesmaster (moi même) may choose not to attack if the Hero has been weakened thouroughly already - but I agree with Ryno that the (additional) attack may (and should) be seen as punishment for being too greedy.

About cards being re-shuffled into the deck or not - it seems to be a question of origin of your game (European or US - by the way, what edition came out in Canada, if any? U$ or UK?) and even a question of which -nth edition you have got. For example, in the first European edition (English as well as German, as far as I know) there were no instrctions on treasure cards whether that card should be discarded after use or shuffled back into the deck.
SirDionysDobermann

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Ethica » August 22nd, 2010, 9:19 am

SirDionysDobermann wrote:...but I agree with Ryno that the (additional) attack may (and should) be seen as punishment for being too greedy.

The hero is already punished by having to defend an attack, when usually when you discover a monster a hero will have the advantage of attacking first.

My point is that, in all probability, whoever goes first will only be attacked once and whoever goes last will be attacked twice. It's not fair.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » August 22nd, 2010, 11:48 am

SirDionysDobermann wrote:by the way, what edition came out in Canada, if any? U$ or UK?

From what I understand, the US edition was released across Canada in English territories. The Nouvelle Édition was released in Quebec.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby overdog » August 23rd, 2010, 3:05 pm

Thanks for the quick responses.

by the way draithe, looks like we're an 1-2 hour drive away from each other. Let me know if there's some type of play group in your area that is looking for new players.
overdog

Postby Phoenix » August 23rd, 2010, 9:06 pm

overdog wrote:Basic question about searching for treasure...
So the turn order is Barb, Dwarf, Elf, Wiz.
The barb searches for treasure first and uncovers a wandering monster. After the moster attacks the barb (if he can) is it still the barb's turn to finish... for instance lets say he hasn't moved yet?
What if in this scenario the wizard moves into the room and then searches for treasure and a monster spawns. After the monster attacks the wiz (if he can) does it then get to attack again as the wizard was the last character in the group to go before Zargon does?

Is it a rule that non treasure bearing treasure cards get reshuffled after every draw into the deck?

Any help is appreciated thanks?

I remember reading that once a Wandering Monster is placed on the board (via treasure search) the Hero's turn is over. (whether they moved or not; they did perform an action "search for treasure").

If the last hero player draws a wandering monster (and ends his turn) the monster gets an immediate attack. Once the attack is finished, it then becomes zargon/morcar's turn and ALL monsters on the board get to move and attack (including the recent addtion of the wandering monster).

That is just how I play.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Official Rules