• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Dead hero, starter weapon sell back

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Dead hero, starter weapon sell back

Postby Daedalus » August 10th, 2021, 6:17 pm

Jalapenotrellis wrote:My new group just played quest 1: the Trial. During the quest, the barbarian and dwarf died. Since the wizard was in line of sight in the corridor, I allowed salvage of equipment (without having to pass over the square the other character died on, which probably should be required, but the quest book just talks about dying in a room allowing salvage of equipment).
I figured it's fair to let them sell back some of the starting equipment at half price even though the next characters will also start with equipment. Seems like a sneaky way to get more gold from the first quest, since most likely people will die.

The first time my group played Hero Quest, the other Hero players wanted to split up and we predictably failed. It took a second attempt to kill Verag. I think it is common to get some noses bloodied in The Trial.

We didn't know about the selling-excess-items rule as the BQP and EQP weren't available; starting with some fresh replacement Heroes didn't seem like a problem. Since the expansion rule states, "As the Heroes gain better equipment, they can sell some of their old items to the Armory," I'd agree it was sneaky to sell back recovered starting items as they weren't yet old and better ones weren't otherwise affordable. Still, keeping your players in the game is most important.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Dead hero, starter weapon sell back

Postby Kurgan » August 10th, 2021, 11:32 pm

One time we played and my brother had the Combat Card "disarm and capture" which he used on an evil merc to acquire his services for free for a quest. Worked out pretty well for him! The man was let go (after renouncing his allegiance to Chaos) so he didn't appear in the next quest.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous