• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Dead hero, starter weapon sell back

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Dead hero, starter weapon sell back

Postby mitchiemasha » February 18th, 2019, 10:59 pm

Jalapenotrellis wrote:If you play by the rules in the American version, it seems that heroes can pick up any items as long as they are in the room or corridor in which the player dies. It does not say that they need to pass over the hero in order for this to happen though.

Which takes my back to my post in the thrown weapons mod.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Jalapenotrellis » February 18th, 2019, 11:02 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:Yeah "recovery is in the book"... I was also editing my post whilst you replied. I needed to be clearer on a few things.

I finally figured out how subscribe works on here :-)
Although I do not like my browser telling me that the website is not secure.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » February 18th, 2019, 11:17 pm

I don't think i'm subscribed to any threads. I check back way too often and read every post.

Jalapenotrellis wrote:But they kind of need to because the expansions are incredibly difficult.

I have to be honest here and reveal... I've not played the American expansions.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jafazo » February 19th, 2019, 3:33 am

Just roleplay it and keep the buy back price cheap. I'd say 20% or less.
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » February 19th, 2019, 7:13 am

You could couple it with carrying capacity for the Heroes, though. For instance, you could allow them to:
- Wield a 2-handed weapon / 1-handed weapon + shield / 2 1-handed weapons
- Carry a spare weapon on their back (like a crossbow)
- Wear 1 main body armour item (chain mail, plate mail, etc ...)
- Carry a beltpouch & backpack for "small" stuff like potions, coins, etc ...

So if the Barbarian dies, the Dwarf could opt to discard his crossbow to pick up the Barbarian's battle axe instead. Or to discard his own chain mail, to equip the Barbarian's plate mail ... ok, that last one is weird, but I feel you take realism too far if you also keep track of physical body size when it comes to trading weapons and armour. What I mean is, Heroes can't carry the world; if they want to carry more than their capacity, they'll have to make choices on what to carry along.

Especially when Heroes get further ahead in the campaign, the starter weapons aren't going to yield much effective value anymore. And to be honest, if players are going to let some of their number die on purpose ... well, that's just downright ruining the fun, don't you agree?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » February 19th, 2019, 8:05 am

I like the idea of making them leave something to pick up something. Leave their battleaxe and longsword to pick up the Orc's Bane and Spirit Blade...then get back to town and have to spend coin on a new battleaxe and longsword.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Jafazo » February 26th, 2019, 12:07 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:The selling of weapons rule we use specifically includes the word "BOUGHT" for that very reason.
Equipment: Bought can be sold at 50% of cost.

In my armoury the wording is
EU prices, buys back at 50% of cost. Broken weapons are worthless!!!

The words "BUYS BACK" automatically exclude scavenging start weapons.

So if the heroes happen to find weapons and armor throughout their quest they can't sell those extra swords or armor to the armory because they didn't buy them from the armory. Seems like it's important in your game to include notes about where each weapon was found to alleviate confusion as to whether the armory will buy it back or not.

As long as equipment that doesn't originate from the armory exists it will be necessary to differentiate them. So far I've identified "Starting Equipment", "Amory Equipment", and "Found Equipment". Each piece of equipment would need to be marked like that to avoid confusion later on.
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » February 26th, 2019, 1:22 pm

The reason to not allow start weapons to be sold is clearly noted on this board. See them as dull rubbish weapons, they're simply not worth anything. Due to how the game works at the table there's no reason to note weapons as Start, found or bought.

Jafazo wrote:because they didn't buy them from the armory.

Exactly... You forget... I'm UK version. Weapons had no selling to armoury mechanics regardless to being found or bought. It's an extra bonus I've added. It encourages players to try out different plays styles. It's not such a loss if a Dual Wielding Psycho Elf wants to try being a from a far shooter for a while, especially if it wasn't working out after buying that extra sword. Which is super thematic, you're a growing Hero, some ideas aren't going to pan out as well as you thought, highly comical INN topics for the rest of the group.

"Remember that time you thought you were Sir Lightning Foot Slaughters All, yeah you nearly got us all killed! Good thing you found your calling with that Crossbow."

Jafazo wrote:to include notes about where each weapon

No.. Not at all. A start weapon is the start value for that hero and they always default to the start/dull weapon value upon breaking anything bought. For instance, a Barbarian is +1, he has the same rubbish 2 swords as everybody else but gets +1 due to his ferocious strength. It could be said the Dwarf has an AXE but mechanically it doesn't matter, it's the same, a 2. For the Barbarian, this also means he maintains his edge later game once everyone is buffed up. There's often many other hidden reasons to the twists that managed to stay in my Mod Sheet.

A found weapon is noted as they'd have the card (Remember, UK version (edit: actually this is originally the other way round but, we flip it, allowing multiples of the same weapon to be bought and the cards are used as a randomiser for the armoury search)). However, if they tricked a shop keeper into buying it, no real harm, as you wrote "Just roleplay it". If not, they're free to sell it to another player or discard it.

The buy back mechanic is purely introduced as encouragement for Heroes to make side steps, slowing the power creep in progression, trying out new play styles. Technically, as there's no original carry restrictions, with out a buy back, they'd simply own everything (edit: no need to go into debating carry restrictions mods)

I do appreciate your quest for errors in the mods I use, normally people don't look as deeply into it. At least I know it's not getting ignored and it's how new ideas and reasoning can be reached.
Last edited by mitchiemasha on February 26th, 2019, 1:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » February 26th, 2019, 1:42 pm

mitchiemasha wrote: for that hero and they always default to the start/dull weapon value upon breaking anything bought.

Sticking with that thought... I did write this..

mitchiemasha wrote:The way this all works at the table can be viewed as, you either always have your start weapon or the Broken weapon is being used at your start weapon value. Not that it matters mechanically how it is viewed.

There are many other ways players can choose to view it and they're free to do so, all that matters is it works in game and makes sense... when writing or modding games, it's important to not add ideas for the sake of it and any ideas that are kept are well thought out.

mitchiemasha wrote:There's often many other hidden reasons to the twists that managed to stay in my Mod Sheet.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » March 2nd, 2019, 10:19 pm

Maurice76 wrote:It's questionable whether The Trial is a good starter quest.

This is part of the reason I don't even think the original version was playtested in the US. We all know Frozen Horror and Mage of the Mirror wasn't, but as the bugs were pretty much worked out in the European circuit, the Trial with US monster stats is way too difficult. It's probably doable when all monsters have 1 body point, but there's 3 choas warriors and a gargoyle, not quite as doable with multiple body points.

Maurice76 wrote:Eventually, the Heroes would be able to achieve the title of Champion of the Empire, which the game rules state would be after they complete a certain number of quests. Instead of doing it that way, The Trial can be inserted at this point as a benchmark for the Heroes.

I love this idea as well. However being a Champion doesn't really add anything to perks. In your method of play, does being crowned a Champion to the Empire add anything to the game?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules