• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Expansions--access to armories, extra spells thereafter?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Expansions--access to armories, extra spells thereafter?

Postby Jalapenotrellis » February 11th, 2019, 2:39 am

Say you finish Wizards of Morcar, are you able to allow your wizard/elf to continue accessing the additional spells and items in the armory or are they just available for those quests in that expansion?
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Expansions--access to armories, extra spells thereafter?

Postby Anderas » February 11th, 2019, 3:25 am

I give access even before...
He needs it. Latest when the others are maxed, the Wizard needs something.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » February 12th, 2019, 5:02 am

Jalapenotrellis wrote:Say you finish Wizards of Morcar, are you able to allow your wizard/elf to continue accessing the additional spells and items in the armory or are they just available for those quests in that expansion?

My view is that ALL additional components become available for the next quest pack, as well as all gold and artefacts that were plundered from the previous adventures. I'll fight anyone who suggests otherwise :D .
Of course, that begs the follow up question "what order are the quest packs supposed to be played". There are scores of threads on this but the vast majority agree on this; Game system>KK>RotWL>AtOH>WOM>ElfPack>BarbarianPack. The other official stuff such as Dark Company, Eye of Chaos and Revenge of the Weather man can be inserted where you see fit to bulk out the storyline. Some people treat Dark Company as an expansion pack in its own right and place it after the Barbarian Quest pack, as it is supposed to be very difficult for the Heroes.

Hope this helps,
Happy questing!

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » February 12th, 2019, 6:23 am

Anderas wrote:I give access even before...

Agreed, as long as I'm feeling generous. I make the wizard suffer through the Game System but after that I tend to give him access to the other stuff.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » February 12th, 2019, 9:18 am

Thor-in wrote:
Anderas wrote:I give access even before...

Agreed, as long as I'm feeling generous. I make the wizard suffer through the Game System but after that I tend to give him access to the other stuff.

I'm inclined to agree with both of you, although I make the Wizard Run the Gauntlet (or other difficult quest) before he gains the new spells. It lends some incentive to fight the Cabiri Lords if the Wand of Galimateus gives the Wizard Hero access to more spell decks. The wand artefact as written is a bit meh, considering that the Cabiri are fearsome dudes to face.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » February 12th, 2019, 6:39 pm

al the collected item can be reused later on different questpacks for me. Just I would not alow the Heroes to bring with them ALL the stuff they collected, they have to select wich equipment bring with them in the next quest, but I have no rule about how to limit. I don't thing is realistic if a player will bring with him 50 potions in a bag, 4 swords, 2 axes, shield, armour.... it's not Forthnite or Metal gear Solid!

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » February 12th, 2019, 7:27 pm

lestodante wrote:it's not Forthnite or Metal gear Solid!

It's not..... :? :lol:

But I agree with you on the fact that you can't bring EVERYTHING you own into a quest.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » February 13th, 2019, 1:37 am

Pancho wrote:
Jalapenotrellis wrote:Say you finish Wizards of Morcar, are you able to allow your wizard/elf to continue accessing the additional spells and items in the armory or are they just available for those quests in that expansion?

My view is that ALL additional components become available for the next quest pack, as well as all gold and artefacts that were plundered from the previous adventures. I'll fight anyone who suggests otherwise :D .
Of course, that begs the follow up question "what order are the quest packs supposed to be played". There are scores of threads on this but the vast majority agree on this; Game system>KK>RotWL>AtOH>WOM>ElfPack>BarbarianPack. The other official stuff such as Dark Company, Eye of Chaos and Revenge of the Weather man can be inserted where you see fit to bulk out the storyline. Some people treat Dark Company as an expansion pack in its own right and place it after the Barbarian Quest pack, as it is supposed to be very difficult for the Heroes.

Hope this helps,
Happy questing!

Did you say elf quest pack before barbarian Quest pack? I was looking at that thread about what were the quest packs should be played... They said the opposite on the first page. Maybe I didn't read far enough?
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » February 13th, 2019, 1:48 am

Those two are not really connected so the order is arbitrary.
The Frozen Horror has more bugs, though, so you could spare that frustration up to the end.

KK also needs some adaptation to be more interesting.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » February 13th, 2019, 2:40 am

Jalapenotrellis wrote:
Pancho wrote:

Hope this helps,
Happy questing!

Did you say elf quest pack before barbarian Quest pack? I was looking at that thread about what were the quest packs should be played... They said the opposite on the first page. Maybe I didn't read far enough?

Like Anderas said, this is an arbitrary decision as the two stories are not connected (either to themselves, or anything else really). I place the Elf pack earlier simply because it's thought to be a bit easier. Doing it this way also allows the Elf to then take the powerful Elf spells and potent new artefacts into the Frozen Horror quest pack, giving the Heroes a better chance.

Although all previous additions should be made available for the next quest pack, I should say that I totally agree with Lestodante that not everything can be carried at the same time. Potions and scrolls and some artefacts are small enough to carry without restriction but I limit weapons (and shields) to 3 equipment slots, whilst one 1 helm and 1 suit of armour can be carried on for the ride.

One issue I can see with what I wrote is mercenaries; they are first made available for WOM and also for FH, but not explicitly stated to be available for the Elf pack. I'd really like to hear what others who have played the American expansions have to say on that, cus adding mercs to the Elf pack could potentially make it too easy. My personal view is that I wouldn't give the Elf hired help for the solo quests (they're supposed to be a showcase for the Elf proving his worth as a champion in his own right), but then make them available from quest 4.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Official Rules