• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Help with some rules

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Help with some rules

Postby Goblin-King » February 6th, 2019, 6:13 pm

Quite frankly, our house rule is that the equipment you enter the quest with is the equipment you use for the entirety of that quest.
It's all about being a GAME and having combat roles. Not everybody being realistic, and being able to comfortably deal with any situation individually.
To me it doesn't feel like the game is designed around each hero carrying tonnes of spare equipment. This is just me personally, but switching weapons feels a bit cheat-y.

As for the treasure cards, as a GAME I find it works absolutely best if all cards goes back in the pile at the end of a game. Didn't get to use that healing potion? Too bad. Just be glad the quest went so smooth.
If not, all the potions are too easily accessible. Even worse, if you write any unused potions down on your character sheet, suddenly you'll end up with a huge arsenal of potions, making the game way too easy.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby SirRick » February 6th, 2019, 6:50 pm

I've noticed that in the past where sometimes heroes have a huge stockpile of potions. If i ran a game now I would let the heroes keep the potions, but limit them to only bringing maybe 5 at a time, leaving the rest "at home".

My past experience involved always drawing from the top of the deck without shuffling after each search. It was years before I discovered I was supposed to do this. Now it seems with shuffling every search, finding all the treasure in the deck each time would be highly unlikely, and the amount of Hazards and Wandering Monsters would increase dramatically, so maybe if I played this way all along, maybe the heroes would not have so many potions.

Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
SirRick

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » February 6th, 2019, 7:42 pm

As I recall, the bad cards say to shuffle them back in, but the good cards just say to leave them out of the deck, so you could easily get away with only shuffling when a "bad" card is pulled, to reduce the amount of shuffling required overall.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » February 7th, 2019, 3:43 am

In regards to Treasure cards, we play that all of them go back into the deck at the end of a quest. This means that Heroic brew and the like is never retained for the next quest.
This gives a greater role the potions that you can buy from the Alchemists shop in later expansions. These are expensive, but necessary to take along if you want to survive through a whole quest pack.
I see the treasure card potions as things that you find along the way but will spoil quickly if you don't use them.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » February 7th, 2019, 5:47 am

Goblin-King wrote:Quite frankly, our house rule is that the equipment you enter the quest with is the equipment you use for the entirety of that quest.

That's all good and well until you have a crossbow and can't use it adjacent. What if you find a new weapon and don't want to throw away your old. if a player wants to do something i prefer it to be included, but extremely simple. No one likes the "No you can't do that" remark, over and over, especially new players, you get that sunken brow look and a "well that's *lemony goodness*", they'll leave the table hating the game.

Many lock the weapon to the full round either allowing swapping at the start or the end, which does work to prevent milking... But i prefer the Bonus Action mod, as the same function writes into many other tweaks with out being it's own unique thing, reducing the bloat effect and need for lots of writing, explaining.
Last edited by mitchiemasha on February 7th, 2019, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » February 7th, 2019, 6:10 am

SirRick wrote:I've noticed that in the past where sometimes heroes have a huge stockpile of potions.

At the bottom of my Alchemists print out is written.

A potion found in a search must be used before returning it to the deck. Keep the card in addition to carry capacity.
Boosting combat with a Potion and/or Spell, the weapon is broken at its default power, increasing the risk of damage.

Any bought potions take up half a carry slot. Carry capacity is limited to Body. The carry slots are right below the Attack and Defence box. If it's an Attack weapon you'd write it's value to the left of the slot, defence to the right, with a little tick box for what's equipped. A player can easily see and total up their current value. With a box in the top corner of A/D for any potion, spell modifiers (if they want to use it as a reminder).

At the bottom of the equipment list they be half slots or large slots for the barbarian who has B8. A wizard would scribble out the middle 2 until he found a magical sack (wrote into a unique quest, yet to be created). I was half way through reworking the character sheet but it never got finished. It's changed a lot from the top picture.

Also... If you were a Cleric you get 4 Holy water (they also heal 1B for clerics), they wouldn't go in your slot, they go in the top. A potion based character would be able to carry more.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Flacktron » February 7th, 2019, 6:43 am

Loving the detail many of you have gone into regarding some of the rules.

Here's another question thats just come to me. With the equipment cards, as there is only one crossbow card, one battle axe card etc do you allow only one character to purchase the card/weapon or do you use the card as a guide, basically saying that it costs you x amount of gold to buy this certain weapon so EVERYONE can buy a crossbow if they wish?
Flacktron

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby Pancho » February 7th, 2019, 7:44 am

I've always played that the card is a guide and multiple Heroes can use the same type of equipment. I believe that was the intention of the game designers given that in some official quests you can find equipment; that wouldn't work if somebody else already had that item.
On the other hand, there are 2 equipment cards for shield and only 1 card for everything else, possibly implying that you need the card in order to have the equipment :?
I just think it's easier, and more realistic, to do the former.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » February 7th, 2019, 8:43 am

Originally the UK version limited the weapons to each card... Why the 1st print run had 2 helmets and 2 shields (not 100% sure on which). This added to the race to get more gold first, due to weapon rareness. The US version introduced the armoury. If you want the characters to have equipment cards you could buy multiples or print extra.

I use the equipment deck purely for the weapons rack if it has no quest notes. The Hero picks randomly from the deck, notes what they find and returns the card. For Artefacts they'd still need to hold the unique card... These aren't noted in the extended armoury.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » February 7th, 2019, 9:43 am

mitchiemasha wrote:
Goblin-King wrote:Quite frankly, our house rule is that the equipment you enter the quest with is the equipment you use for the entirety of that quest.

That's all good and well until you have a crossbow and can't use it adjacent.

That's the whole point. You can snipe monsters from the other end of the dungeon, but if you get cornered you are F'ed. That was a calculated risk you took when you equipped your character.
If you want to play it safe and never risk not being able to attack adjacent monsters, then the crossbow is not for you. The heroes are not entitled to being able to solo each quest. The idea is that the heroes support each other.
I strongly dislike the Swiss Armyknife class.

I'm not saying your way is wrong, we just disagree on what is best for the game.

mitchiemasha wrote:What if you find a new weapon and don't want to throw away your old. if a player wants to do something i prefer it to be included, but extremely simple. No one likes the "No you can't do that" remark, over and over, especially new players, you get that sunken brow look and a "well that's *lemony goodness*", they'll leave the table hating the game.

Many lock the weapon to the full round either allowing swapping at the start or the end, which does work to prevent milking... But i prefer the Bonus Action mod, as the same function writes into many other tweaks with out being it's own unique thing, reducing the bloat effect and need for lots of writing, explaining.

I have faith in players to being able to handle that a game has rules they must follow :lol: |_P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules