• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Potion of Magic Resistance questions

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Potion of Magic Resistance questions

Postby wallydubbs » April 30th, 2019, 10:23 am

I implemented the Wall of Flame and added it to the Fire Mage's arsenal in Quest 8 of the original booklet. I do allow heroes to pass through it, but they are attacked with 6 attack dice (no defense) if they risk it. The only ways to pass through it with no damage is by Drinking a Potion of Magic Resistance (Fire) or the Fire Ring (or they can try to walk through it and get a lucky roll with no skulls). Otherwise they would have to attack the flames and beat them out. I'm also thinking of allowing Veil of Mist to have some effect... possibly rolling only 3 for damage when attempting to pass through (of course I wouldn't tell the heroes this so they probably wouldn't try to use it).

Fireburst don't come up very often (except in WoM), though I've added one in the Fire Mage quest (seems thematic to do so), though they are easily avoidable as long as the hero has movement after entering the room. I'm thinking of modifying its effects and uses:
Maybe the trap could only be set off if either a hero steps on the space it's on or searches the room for Treasure... however, I'd like to add that it can only be detected by the Wizard (and Elf if he has 5 MP) on a trap search, but cannot be disarmed without Tempest or Dispell.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby The Admiral » April 30th, 2019, 1:25 pm

wallydubbs wrote:I implemented the Wall of Flame and added it to the Fire Mage's arsenal in Quest 8 of the original booklet. I do allow heroes to pass through it, but they are attacked with 6 attack dice (no defense) if they risk it. The only ways to pass through it with no damage is by Drinking a Potion of Magic Resistance (Fire) or the Fire Ring (or they can try to walk through it and get a lucky roll with no skulls). Otherwise they would have to attack the flames and beat them out. I'm also thinking of allowing Veil of Mist to have some effect... possibly rolling only 3 for damage when attempting to pass through (of course I wouldn't tell the heroes this so they probably wouldn't try to use it).

Yeah, that would be the way to go if allowing movement through the wall of flame, although you are quite :twisted: with 6 attack with no defence, ouch!

I wouldn't give the Veil of Mist any benefit. The fire is a solid wall and doesn't care how unseen a Hero is, they are still passing through it.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » April 30th, 2019, 2:22 pm

I understand what you mean, but I've always felt that Veil of Mist is often thought useless and I wanted to give it an alternative use. As if the mist enveloping the hero in a water counter to fire sort of way.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » April 30th, 2019, 5:07 pm

wallydubbs wrote:I understand what you mean, but I've always felt that Veil of Mist is often thought useless and I wanted to give it an alternative use. As if the mist enveloping the hero in a water counter to fire sort of way.

Yeah sure, I can see that.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 8th, 2021, 2:44 am

wallydubbs wrote:So there are 3 types of Potions of Magic Resistance, which I'll reference here:
1.) From Wizards of Morcar/Zargon- You find a small bottle hidden beneath a rusty shield. You may drink this potion when a spell is cast on you and you may then ignore the effects of the spell.
2.) Also from WoM/WoZ- You discover a red glass bottle in a shallow pit. If you drink the potion, you will be completely unharmed by the next magical fire attack to hit you, be it a spell or a Fireburst trap.
3.) From Frozen Horror- The potion in this small, blue bottle negates the effects of any damage-causing spell cast on you. Drink it when the spell is cast and you may ignore the effects of the spell. This works only for the hero drinking the potion. The potion may be used only once.. . .

. . . However there is a Wall of Fire that can be cast by the High Mage. If a hero drinks this Potion of Magic Resistance, can he pass through the Wall of Fire? I'd allow it, so I'm just wondering how everyone else feels.

I wouldn't allow it because the Magical Barriers section on p.5 describes a Wall of Flame as "a solid barrier" and a solid impassable wall." In addition, a type 1 potion only works for a spell cast on you, a type 2 potion only works for the next magical fire attack to hit you, and a type 3 potion only cancels the effects of a damage causing spell; a cast Wall of Flame spell does none of this.

wallydubbs wrote:There's also a spell by the Necromancer that I'd like to draw attention to called Skulls of Doom, the wording of which is: "This spell allows the sorcerer to hurl a magical skull at any figure in their line of sight. The skull explodes like a fireball and attacks the hero with 2 combat dice, which the figure may defend against normally." Would the fire potion of Magic Resistance work with this spell?

I'd say yes. If you substitute "explodes like a fire spell" or "explodes like a Fireburst trap" you can follow my thinking. "Explodes" is even part of the Fireburst trap text, further linking the Skulls of Doom spell effect.

wallydubbs wrote:The 3rd Potion of Magic Resistance from Frozen Horror seems to specify damage causing spells. Do you suppose this would also work on Fireburst traps or spells that target the mind (Mind Freeze)... it doesn't specify what kind of damage...

No: A Fireburst trap isn't a damage-causing spell cast on you, it's a damage-causing effect triggered by you.Yes: Damage is damage. The effect isn''t specified "any Body Point damage-causing spell."
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » August 8th, 2021, 8:27 am

The Potion of Fire Resistance is intended for the Firebust Traps (not just Fire Spells), while the Magic Resistance is the other damage causing spells. Even though I think they intended damage to be BP damage, since we're talking about two different expansion items (WOM into ATOH or BQP), I would be generous and say it would protect you from a Mind Attack spell as well.

The Fire Burst is specifically a fire based "Magical Trap." In the strictest interpretation it would protect you from any fire based damage magic, so the Fire Resistance could be seen as a weaker version of the "Magic Resistance." In that sense, it should cover both. In any case, it's a single turn protection. Fire Bursts are going to be more common than spells in a quest.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » August 8th, 2021, 9:42 am

Kurgan wrote:The Potion of Fire Resistance is intended for the Firebust Traps (not just Fire Spells), while the Magic Resistance is the other damage causing spells. Even though I think they intended damage to be BP damage, since we're talking about two different expansion items (WOM into ATOH or BQP), I would be generous and say it would protect you from a Mind Attack spell as well.

I agree, it should protect from other expansion or custom spells too.

Kurgan wrote:The Fire Burst is specifically a fire based "Magical Trap." In the strictest interpretation it would protect you from any fire based damage magic, so the Fire Resistance could be seen as a weaker version of the "Magic Resistance." In that sense, it should cover both. In any case, it's a single turn protection. Fire Bursts are going to be more common than spells in a quest.

It is a magical trap, magically activated which causes an explosion so the flames should be real flames, not magic. So it is ok to be protected with a Potion of Fire Resistance but I don't see the other potions can work against a Fireburst trap.
Also a Wall of Flames should not be solid and causing damage to anyone crossing them (ok, it must be totally re-written, together with the Wall of Ice as both of them are clearly the same of a Wall of Stone).

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » August 8th, 2021, 9:47 am

Any spell that does direct damage to me should count. I wouldn't say for instance that "Summon Orcs" would be countered, meaning damage from attacks from the Orcs would be blocked, but Lightning Bolt would be blocked. I wouldn't say "well the magic just produces some real lightning and the lightning is thus not magic so it hurts you anyway" as that would seem like nitpicking to get around allowing the Hero their ability.

I have other versions of the Wall Of... spells, but the default ones are barriers that need to be attacked and destroyed, so that part makes sense.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » August 8th, 2021, 11:19 am

Not for me, Summons Orcs is not cast ON YOU, it summon the orcs they are real and can attack you or other heroes too. They still on the board after the attack.
I can partially agree on the fireburst as they don't give a clear interpretations of what it generates but not on summoning creatures.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » August 8th, 2021, 12:30 pm

Thinking on this further with other examples... Yes, these are WOM potions specifically. Using NA rules you could carry a found potion from here into another quest pack, or if you play as many do where you "unlock" these cards for use in one and they are available in later ones, it would come up again.

Again I'm thinking of those spells that do "direct damage" to heroes.

Wizards of Morcar:

(via Storm Master):
Lightning (see above)
Earthquake

Hurricane basically pushes you until you hit something... if it pushes you into a trap would you say the Potion saves you from the damage? I would tend to say no, since it's not direct.

(via Necromancer):
Skulls of Doom (associated with Fire in the description)
Death Bolt (?)

(via Orc Shaman):
Spirit of Vengeance (you might say since this summons a Spirit that attacks the Hero, it's not "direct" but it's still a magical entity and one that can't be harmed, basically the monster equivalent of "Genie")

Game System NA examples:

Lightning Bolt (you could classify it as fire, though I call it air, for my own purposes of spell classification--not official of course)
Ball of Flame (fire)
Firestorm (fire)

Against the Ogre Horde:

Mind Blast (mind point damage)

BQP:
Chill
Ice Storm
Mind Freeze (MP damage)

EQP:
Mirror Magic (this allows a Hero spell to be reflected back and the effect goes to the Hero instead, meaning all Hero direct damage spells would be impacted!)
[see Ball of Flame, Fire of Wrath, Genie; Arrows of the Night (WOM)]

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups: