• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Monsters and sprung pit traps

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Monsters and sprung pit traps

Postby Maurice76 » February 21st, 2019, 9:22 am

My youngest brother has a copy of all expansions ever released for the game, including those. I guess another option would be to ask him if I could borrow whatever we'd need, when we get around to it. Might even be easier :P.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Jafazo » February 21st, 2019, 10:20 am

wallydubbs wrote:
Like I said, you might live near a library that has a 3D printer. A library in my area charges $2 per hour, an average Hero Quest figurine take about 45 minutes.
If you're willing to accept low quality for what otherwise cannot be found, I think it makes a somewhat acceptable substitute.
https://springer3dscans.wordpress.com/2 ... en-horror/
https://springer3dscans.wordpress.com/2 ... he-mirror/

I didn't know libraries might carry 3D printers for use. Time to start calling & inquiring! Thanks for this big piece of advice.

Also, I haven't commented on this subject so I'll do so here. With consideration to preserving HQ as much as possible I believe adding a mechanism where monsters suffer from traps is a terrible implementation. The game's already designed to give the good guys an overall advantage & this change would seriously unbalance the scales to where monsters would just be at a pathetically unfair disadvantage. I can't speak on behalf of any unmodified HQ without knowing all its rules but adding this change to a fresh version of HQ, hell no.

Furthermore the game only focuses their created traps (pit traps), but I feel their idea stands so if you create custom traps that remain on the board, monsters should be immune to those as well. If you're having a hard time applying some logical reason for it, instead of coming up with a logical change, implement a logical excuse about why monsters don't suffer from their own traps. It's a world of magic, get creative.

If you insist on preserving this bad mechanic I say reduce the penalty from death to an imposed disadvantage. Something like, "Monsters must roll to jump traps and if they fall into one their turn is immediately over. Monsters inside a pit trap fight at a disadvantage." That's all, no health lost.
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » February 21st, 2019, 11:58 am

Jafazo wrote:Also, I haven't commented on this subject so I'll do so here. With consideration to preserving HQ as much as possible I believe adding a mechanism where monsters suffer from traps is a terrible implementation. The game's already designed to give the good guys an overall advantage & this change would seriously unbalance the scales to where monsters would just be at a pathetically unfair disadvantage. I can't speak on behalf of any unmodified HQ without knowing all its rules but adding this change to a fresh version of HQ, hell no.

Furthermore the game only focuses their created traps (pit traps), but I feel their idea stands so if you create custom traps that remain on the board, monsters should be immune to those as well. If you're having a hard time applying some logical reason for it, instead of coming up with a logical change, implement a logical excuse about why monsters don't suffer from their own traps. It's a world of magic, get creative.

If you insist on preserving this bad mechanic I say reduce the penalty from death to an imposed disadvantage. Something like, "Monsters must roll to jump traps and if they fall into one their turn is immediately over. Monsters inside a pit trap fight at a disadvantage." That's all, no health lost.

Then the same should be applied to Heroes. No loss of body points, just turn is over and fight at a disadvantage. Anyway, as it stands, monsters would only suffer from exposed traps and unless they're triggered mid-fight by the Heroes, they're all obscured until found through searching. I think the times where the Heroes might force a monster to traverse an exposed trap are small to begin with, so overall impact on the game is minimal.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » February 21st, 2019, 2:06 pm

Jafazo wrote:Also, I haven't commented on this subject so I'll do so here.

I'd have to agree with Maurice76 here

I think the times where the Heroes might force a monster to traverse an exposed trap are small to begin with, so overall impact on the game is minimal.

Especially US where only sprung pits are placed on the board. Many Traps won't even be placed as a player will simply avoid the warned about square. Monsters can freely walk over this, the trap isn't place, unlike the UK version.

Plus... risking jumping a pit to try and get away, to make a monster attempt the same risk, can have comical consequences. Those rare moments, when they occur and choices like this are what make games a bit more exciting. It's the thrill of the uncertainty and the surprise of success or failure. Do you risk the jump? If you survive it, will the enemy risk it? If you fall in you're at even more disadvantage but you've got no choice... you're too beaten, you're doomed to die. If the monster jumps freely, it's a no brainner, don't take the risk, it'll follow you anyway.

Our rules are simple. Once something is on the board it effects all. Unless it's specifically specified in the quest notes not to.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby SirRick » February 21st, 2019, 4:38 pm

Even if the monsters are not supposed to get hurt from traps, the NA rulebook states that monsters on a pit trap square still suffer a penalty to attacks and defense while there. So even if you play by the book, monsters are still affected by pit traps at least.

Also there is a simple explanation as to why monsters never set off traps or can always jump them. Its because when the heroes are not raiding their home, the monsters have nothing to do all day except practicing jumping over their own traps.

Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
SirRick

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jafazo » February 21st, 2019, 7:04 pm

Maurice76 wrote:
Then the same should be applied to Heroes. No loss of body points, just turn is over and fight at a disadvantage.

The penalties heroes and monsters suffer from sprung pit traps are balanced even if each side doesn't suffer from the same number of penalties. Falling into a Pit Trap has three penalties right now. 1, you lose a body point of damage. 2, your turn ends immediately. 3, you roll one less combat die from within a pit trap to attack or defend.

Right now monsters only suffer from penalty 3, heroes suffer from 1, 2 and 3. This is balanced because both sides aren't made to face the same challenges. Monsters are simply, another challenge. I'm sure "How would Traps realistically work?" wasn't a factor when this mechanic was designed. Heroes deal with more than just monsters and they're compensated for that with more body points. If an EW rules that monsters need to deal with damage from traps, I'd say they should be compensated for this with extra body points or in some other way. Simply saying, "Let's make monsters start taking damage from traps because it's realistic." isn't a finished solution with regard to balance.

And so, my suggestion was that if an EW wants to impose more penalties on monsters from pit traps it might be simpler to introduce penalty 2 but stay away from penalty 1.

As for this mod not ruining a game, in my opinion it can, but it depends on the players and how they respond to the change. I don't penalize my players for creative thinking so if they use an sprung trap to their advantage I won't retaliate. It wouldn't happen every turn but I can think of plenty of scenarios where use of a sprung pit trap could help the heroes win a few challenging battles, mainly in the halls where movement is limited, not in rooms.

Also, I deliberately spring pit traps all the time. The game doesn't pose much of a challenge so I end up with a plethora of extra healing potions and such and can handle the damage. When I see a pit trap I sometimes bypass it until the quest is over unless it is in my way and I'm forced to deal with it. A sprung pit trap is an extra room I can bring into the game later that I can search for treasure (it's in the rules). Depending on the decks size when a quest is over, the more rooms you can search for treasure the better. Because of this habit, monsters do have to run over sprung pit traps once in a while in my games. If I forced them to risk damage, the game would only be that much easier for me as a hero.
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » February 21st, 2019, 11:35 pm

Jafazo wrote:As for this mod...

Here we go again, it's not a MOD, it's the difference between UK and US edition rules.

UK monsters have to attempt to jump the pit in the same manor as the heroes.
US monsters can jump the pit freely but suffer the combat penalty if in the pit

I'm not sure about the bit in italics, some one needs to check. Neither versions are game breaking. Both versions of the game play perfectly fine. As do many, I prefer to use a combination of the trap rules.

US. When A hero searches for trap point to the Hazardous square and voice a warning (not UK: place the trap).
US. Sprung Pit traps can't be removed.
UK. Disable Traps skill. Remove a trap you find... Find, as in, whilst doing a search action that would UK: reveal the trap / US: voice a warning.
UK. Tool Kit. Remove a trap you find... as above but roll 1 Cd6 to see if you lose a Body point in doing so.
UK. Falling rocks are cave ins designed to block the way. They fall infront or behind depending on the quest map.
They were never intended as trap to hurt the triggering hero, especially at 3CD6, this was for rare instance someone or something is stud next to you.
There are other falling rocks that fall directly on the square and are only 1CD6, these don't block the way, they don't leave a marker.
UK. Once a trap is revealed it effects all in the same manor, unless specifically stated in the notes.

Extra items... 2 mechanics I introduced into the game via different quest, discovering the item.
If the Hero has a MAP, the trap would be placed face down on the square as a reminder.
If the Hero Has some ROPE, they can climb down into the pit at no risk but can only move the value of 1d6 in that turn.

I do like my dungeons to be more HAZARDOUS, so double 1's is an auto hazard "rocks fall from above", "as you attempt to escape the floor greets your face", what ever you feel fits. It works towards reducing Heroes wasting turns. Also satisfy the logic of only moving up to 2 spaces. We do have TORCH: Can reroll 1 move d6, which the scout model carries by default. This symbolises the area being well lit. If you roll the same number... the torch dies... and back to darkness you return. We've had some comical badly beaten heroes crying with each roll approaching the exit. If you don't like that as a Generic MOD, it's a perfect idea for a unique quest, 80's movie style... where everything always gets blown up towards the end. Or simply a very rough dungeon, older than the hills it's under.
Last edited by mitchiemasha on April 30th, 2019, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » April 30th, 2019, 10:48 am

So what do you do when a monster is standing on an unsprung trap, but then a hero passes through them via Vail of Mist?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » April 30th, 2019, 1:36 pm

wallydubbs wrote:So what do you do when a monster is standing on an unsprung trap, but then a hero passes through them via Vail of Mist?

Trigger the trap.

Pit = Both fall in and lose a BP. They can both coexist down the pit and even fight each other.
Falling Block = Both roll for damage survivors must choose a space to move to. Each must choose a different space and the Hero gets first choice.
Spear = Roll randomly to select who is targeted and then they roll for damage as normal. The Hero is only brought to a stop if he is the target and is hit. In that case move the Hero to an adjacent vacant space and end their move.

The thing with Veil of mist is that the Hero is unseen. They are still there, and effected by the physical parameters of their environment. A trip wire doesn't need to see a hidden Hero to affect him. A spear flying out of the ceiling can't see anything. It just follows a trajectory and impacts what it hits.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » April 30th, 2019, 2:06 pm

This is interesting to see how everyone plays it.

Personally, I play the NA rules. However after reading this I'm thinking of changing it to a mix between UK and NA rules.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules