• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Can Monsters open doors if...?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Can Monsters open doors if...?

Postby HeroQuestFrance » August 13th, 2010, 4:40 am

Monsters & heroes open/close doors when they want.
Final point to me too.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
HeroQuestFrance

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby kyrrahn » November 20th, 2017, 2:04 am

I usually go with the rule that a named monster is essentially and evil hero and can then open doors. Witchlord, Skulmar etc... should all be able to open doors. The minions shouldn't. Gives the strong monsters tactical options without rendering the generic monsters broken.
Last edited by kyrrahn on November 20th, 2017, 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I want my Mummy :mummy:
kyrrahn

Zombie
Zombie

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » November 20th, 2017, 2:37 am

HeroQuest is a game. A game has rules. The rules are very clear. Monsters can't open doors. The means by which the monsters were discovered doesn't matter.
HeroQuest is not a roleplaying game where the monsters have to behave "logically". They are flavorful chess pieces.

The scenario from OP: A room with monsters is discovered by pass through rock. There is a single door that leads to the corridor where the heroes are. The monsters open the door and engage.
Another similar scenario: A room with monsters is discovered by pass through rock. This room has 4 doors. None of them lead directly to where the heroes are. The monsters open all 4 doors, release a whole bunch of other monsters and scatter all over the place.

If discovered monsters could open doors in a room discovered by PTR, that would mean they could potentially open doors leading to undiscovered areas.
There's a reason that rule is there in the first place.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » November 20th, 2017, 7:03 am

What Goblin King said.

That said, feel free to change the rules for certain monsters. Just be clear about the impact that can have. Monsters that attack first deal more than triple the damage in average than Monsters that are being attacked by the heroes. A monster opening doors is equal to monsters from the neighbor rooms which attack first.

I have an Goblin with a trumpet that has this special ability, alerting one neighbor room. If I use him, I carefully plan the quest so that the outcome will be bad maybe, but at least planned so. :D

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » November 20th, 2017, 8:09 am

Monsters that can open doors are always clearly specified in the notes. If any could open doors anyways then that extra text is useless. Why would MB bother specifying?
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » November 20th, 2017, 10:03 am

Anderas wrote:I have an Goblin with a trumpet that has this special ability, alerting one neighbor room. If I use him, I carefully plan the quest so that the outcome will be bad maybe, but at least planned so. :D

I prefer a battle horn and the GW dwarves an Chaos Wariors come with plenty of these extra bits.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » November 20th, 2017, 7:09 pm

basically, don't let monsters open doors but do some exceptions. The master can change rules but do not abuse... only change rules to make the quest more exciting, not to cheat and kill the heroes!

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » November 21st, 2017, 1:26 pm

lestodante wrote:basically, don't let monsters open doors but do some exceptions. The master can change rules but do not abuse... only change rules to make the quest more exciting, not to cheat and kill the heroes!

Yes and no... Can't go changing the game willy nilly, that's cheating. A few here agree to adding small minor changes mid game but others seriously frown upon it. If not playing it HeroQuest style EW vs Heroes mid game changes could be allowed but otherwise they'd all have to be prequest.

Monsters can open doors, it would be silly to think that they can't. BUT! That's not what the mechanic represents. People are often confused by this. "why would they wait there" " why wouldn't 1 monster alert all the others, opening the doors" etc! It's not that the doors are 'locked' to monsters, it's that the Quest book dictates an unfolding story, regardless to what ever that story is, the moment the Heroes confront said monsters, will always be in that room.

Upon entering a dungeon, 2 orcs in the 2nd room, could of been in the 4th, rushing towards the Heroes. The Goblin with them could of seen the Heroes enter and ran to alert them. Regardless to what the Heroes do, how long they take, they will always encounter the 2 Orcs and Goblin in the 2nd room. It's up to the players imagination to construct the fantasy around this or non at all.

The time line is replaced by a place line.

'Monsters can't open doors' is just an extremely simple and perfect way to handle the concept. Especially for kids.

Another one "surely the monsters in the next room would hear the heroes!" Who's to say they don't, awaiting an ambush? Who's to say they are even in there yet?
Last edited by mitchiemasha on November 21st, 2017, 2:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » November 21st, 2017, 1:31 pm

I did get the idea off Heath from Rainn Studios for a Snitch. Tiny Snotling Character who can open doors, very fast, a must for the Heroes to catch and kill. He can be revealed in a quest via the activation of a Character token, Chaos Tokens from my mods (Advanced HeroQuest tokens ported into standard HQ).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » November 25th, 2017, 2:28 pm

I agree when you say that 'Monsters can't open doors' is just an extremely simple and perfect way to handle the concept.
They are able to open doors but they are just simply busy at their own things so they are still in the rooms, while monsters in the corridors are just wandering or doing the guards.
This is how my point of view explain why monsters "usually" don't open doors except in some limited situations.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules