• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Carrying and changing equipment during a quest

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Carrying and changing equipment during a quest

Postby wallydubbs » October 23rd, 2018, 2:32 pm

When the heroes start a quest do they have to use one weapon throughout the entire quest?
Say the Dwarf has a sheild, broadsword and crossbow, can he switch from Crossbow to Sheild/Broadsword during the quest?
If so, will it require an action?

I'm fine with my heroes having a secondary weapon in the quest, but I feel there should be an action penalty for putting away and equipping weapons, unless one is lost. If the Wizard throws his equipped dagger he can automatically take out his Staff, no action required.

Are there certain parameters on how much equipment they can carry into a quest?
I'm fine if the Dwarf has his sword and shield strapped to his back, but I feel there should certainly be a limit.
I'm thinking in total maybe 8 combat dice worth of equipment per quest.
Dagger, Staff, Sheild, Helmet, etc.= 1CD
Shortsword, Plate Mai, etc. = 2CD
Broadsword, Longsword, Crossbow = 3CD
Battle Axe = 4CD

I'm sure I'm not the only person that came across this issue, so I'm wondering what types of house rule has everyone establish for this?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Carrying and changing equipment during a quest

Postby Thor-in » October 23rd, 2018, 6:21 pm

Honestly the people I normally play with don't hang onto any extra equipment. They sell it back for half the gold due to it being a "used" weapon. So they can equip what they want.

But yes I would have to agree with you on there being a limit as to how much equipment you can carry.

Normally we don't take an action to change weapons if there are no monsters in the line of sight. However with that being said, if there is a monster in your line of sight then it is an action to swap out your weapons.

Hope this helps.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » October 24th, 2018, 12:31 am

I try keep it simple;
One coat of armour
One helm
One set of footwear
Three carried items; one for each hand and one carried on the back. These can be changed once per turn, without it counting as an action.

Any number of smaller items such as scrolls, potions, talismans, Wands, necklaces, rings. I count the toolkit as a small item.

In terms of passing equipment between players, I don't allow it. Potions yes, but not weapons. I find swooping weapons mid game to be a bit cheesy/gamey.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » October 24th, 2018, 3:19 am

We always play that you keep the same equipment throughout the quest. Only exception is 1 free switch if you find a piece of equipment and want to use it immediately.
Sure it's realistic that a skilled adventurer would carry several weapons to deal with different situations, but I honestly think a lot of people forget that these are hero archetypes.
They don't carry a weapon for every situation... They have a HERO for every situation.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » October 24th, 2018, 1:38 pm

wallydubbs wrote:When the heroes start a quest do they have to use one weapon throughout the entire quest?
Say the Dwarf has a shield, broadsword and crossbow, can he switch from Crossbow to Shield/Broadsword during the quest?
If so, will it require an action?

That is exactly what I do. An action is required to switch from a two handed weapon to a one handed weapon and shield. I don't put any restrictions on how much stuff a Hero can carry, but if you are carrying Platemail then you can only roll 1d6 whether you are wearing it or not

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » October 24th, 2018, 2:00 pm

I don't have any restrictions on how much people can carry. I'll just rely on common sense. Plus they have the ability to sell excess items between quests like so:

Selling Excess Items
As the Heroes gain better equipment, they can sell some of their old items to the Armory. Only items that are listed for sale in the Armory (on the cardboard platform in the Game System plus any additional Armory lists) can be sold back to the Armory. The Hero received Gold Coins equal to half of the Armory’s price when selling items to the Armory. Thus, a Hero who sells a longsword (which costs 350 Gold Coins) back to the Armory, receives 175 Gold Coins. Items sold at the Armory for odd sums (the dagger at 25 Gold Coins, for example) can be sold back for half price, rounded down (12 Gold Coins for the dagger).

So for my passing items rules, I've got this:

Passing Items
On their turn, any Hero may pass any one item they own to other Heroes. If the 2 Heroes are in adjacent squares and neither Hero is adjacent to a Monster, the item can be passed with no problems. If the item is a piece of armor or clothing that is currently equipped or being worn, then passing the item counts as an action. Otherwise, it can be performed alongside an action as a bonus. An item may only be passed once per round.

If the Heroes are adjacent to a Monster or not adjacent to each other but within sight range, the item can be passed from one Hero to the other with a chance to drop the item. The throwing Hero must roll one White Combat Die. If a Black Shield is rolled, the item falls to the ground in a space adjacent to the target (or at the Hero’s feet if either Hero is adjacent to a Monster). The item can be retrieved by any Hero or Monster moving to that space on their turn with no additional action necessary other than announcing their intention to pick up the item. Important! Fragile items like Potions will break and be destroyed if the throw fails. An item’s durability will be decided by Zargon.

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » October 25th, 2018, 9:01 am

Interesting... I like that rule. Roll when passing an item by throwing it and lost if broken, excellent!

My Elf player bought a Long Sword but refused to sell his shortsword, reasoning that at some point a rust spell will come up.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » October 26th, 2018, 12:19 pm

wallydubbs wrote:Interesting... I like that rule. Roll when passing an item by throwing it and lost if broken, excellent!

My Elf player bought a Long Sword but refused to sell his shortsword, reasoning that at some point a rust spell will come up.

Yes, this is a must tactic before a Hero has acquired a non rustable weapon. Out of interest, do players have the EW player decide the item rusted or the Hero. I say the EW as he is casting the spell i.e "I cast Rust on your Longsword".

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » October 26th, 2018, 1:07 pm

The Admiral wrote:
wallydubbs wrote:Out of interest, do players have the EW player decide the item rusted or the Hero. I say the EW as he is casting the spell i.e "I cast Rust on your Longsword".

I'd say the EW decides. When I use it, I will target only worn / visible items on the Hero though. Items hidden from sight in the backpack or whatever cannot be targeted, if you ask me.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » October 28th, 2018, 9:46 pm

If a hero wants to change a weapon, they discard 1 movement d6. I do that for all bonus actions. Restrictions on what they can carry is linked to BODY points. I also like weapons damage to slow the power creep. Roll black shields equal to the weapons strength in combat and it's broken. A +1 defence weapon would be considered 3 as base is 2. I like this method more as using a potion or spell makes it more likely to damage a weapon, it's a more powerful blow not a stronger weapon.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Official Rules