• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Searching for traps and secret doors (US)

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Searching for traps and secret doors (US)

Postby Jazzdrummer » April 25th, 2018, 7:35 am

The EU rules are much more clear to me on this but the US rules say that "As a hero, you can only search for traps or secret doors if there are no monsters visible to you." It's the word visible that seems weird to me. When it says visible is it referring to the "What you can see" rules from page 15? Could a hero, in a room inhabited by monsters, search for traps or secrets if another hero was standing in front of him blocking LoS to the monsters in the room? I.E. Take a 5x3 room...

x x M
x M x
x M x
E B x
D x x

M = :goblin:
E = :elf:
B = :barbarian:
D = :dwarf:
x = Empty space

Could the dwarf search for traps or secret doors on his turn?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Jazzdrummer

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Searching for traps and secret doors (US)

Postby Gold Bearer » April 26th, 2018, 9:17 am

Another example of why the EU are far superior. A hero can search if there's no monster either adjacent to them or in the same room or corridor, and traps and secret doors are a single search.

I don't know how the US rules are worded exactly. Does but if it is in sight then I suppose the dwarf in your example could search even though the search includes squares occupied by monsters.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Jazzdrummer » April 26th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Yea I think I like the EU rules as well in this case. Makes more sense to me and is clearer while the US rules contain too much ambiguity.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Jazzdrummer

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » April 26th, 2018, 12:15 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:Another example of why the EU are far superior.

Score one for Europe! ;)

I play that you can't search if there is a monster in the same room or corridor as you.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » October 25th, 2018, 9:51 am

I actually like the US rules that you can't search if there's a monster in the same room with you, it implies that there's an immediate threat and you don't have time to search. This is why the turns are circulatory and 1 for 1; because in game time for the characters is not the same for those sitting at the table.

However i do have mixed feelings about the searching for secret doors and traps in the same turn. This definitely makes the game go by faster, but in the US version it's two separate searches, so the heroes could often miss a secret door if they kill the monster, search for traps and then search for treasure. The heroes may not have the patience; my crew often miss the secret doors in the small rooms like in Melar's Maze and A Race Against Time.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 10th, 2021, 3:58 am

Jazzdrummer wrote:The EU rules are much more clear to me on this but the US rules say that "As a hero, you can only search for traps or secret doors if there are no monsters visible to you." It's the word visible that seems weird to me. When it says visible is it referring to the "What you can see" rules from page 15? Could a hero, in a room inhabited by monsters, search for traps or secrets if another hero was standing in front of him blocking LoS to the monsters in the room? I.E. Take a 5x3 room...

x x M
x M x
x M x
E B x
D x x

M = :goblin:
E = :elf:
B = :barbarian:
D = :dwarf:
x = Empty space

Could the dwarf search for traps or secret doors on his turn?

Yes, the Dwarf could search for traps or secret doors in this case with the NA rules. Yes, it also is weird if the trap or secret door isn't also blocked from the monsters' view. For more, check out the topic Searching with monsters present--allowed!
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Official Rules