• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Keeping track of who has searched

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Keeping track of who has searched

Postby Jazzdrummer » March 20th, 2018, 9:19 pm

For some odd reason I'm having a real hard keeping track of who has searched a particular room. I know each hero can search a room once. Can anyone offer a suggestion on how to keep tabs on this? I would really appreciate it. :)
Last edited by Jazzdrummer on March 20th, 2018, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Jazzdrummer

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Keeping track of who has searched

Postby Fallensaviour » March 20th, 2018, 9:43 pm

I used to use scrap paper and just mark B,D,W,E. ( just print off a spare map and mark it)
Barbarian,dwarf,wizard,elf.
I usually only play with two people playing two characters and its pretty easy to keep track.

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
Fallensaviour

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » March 20th, 2018, 9:53 pm

I use blips that I scanned from Descent - Journeys in the Dark and made smaller for marking areas with differend searches.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Jazzdrummer » March 20th, 2018, 10:00 pm

I'm using 4 heroes but I mainly get confused when the heroes are split up and there'll be one hero in one room and another hero in another room. I just get turned around. Honestly it would be easier if each room could only be searched once.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Jazzdrummer

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » March 21st, 2018, 2:24 am

Jazzdrummer you are certainly not alone on this, I forget all the time. And making notes on it is a pain. Morcar's job can be painful enough without the Heroes bogging the game down searching every room one by one and taking forever to do it.

Your solution is spot on; just introduce the rule that each room can only be searched once. I've been doing this and it works really well.
Not only does it speed up the game and make the evil Wizard players task easier, it also fits the original theme of the Heroes getting greedy and racing each other for the spoils.

Important to note that I also allow one additional search for each piece of furniture in the room. If the quest notes state that the furniture has an item (quest treasure, potion, trap etc), then the hero gets that item, otherwise they get nothing. The Hero has to be stood adjacent to the piece of furniture. The room as a whole can still be searched once in the normal way, i.e by taking a treasure card.
Honestly, these rules iron out so many little problems with the basic game such as Heroes taking too long and the age old problem about how treasure chests and trapped furniture actually work.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » March 21st, 2018, 2:40 am

YEAH. Ditch that rule. I also play "Each room is limited to 1 Treasure search plus however items of furniture are in the room." It adds more spice to the furniture. If an item is the weapons rack, they pick a card from the standard weapon deck, even though we have a huge shop armoury, it'd be a shame to waste that deck.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jazzdrummer » March 24th, 2018, 8:45 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will do exactly that. It seemed like the heroes were accumulating too much gold anyways.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Jazzdrummer

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » March 24th, 2018, 8:50 am

My players do not "over search" and I attribute this to the risk that they are ambushed by a pair of wandering monsters. They generally search to make sure there are no special treasures, then move on.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » March 24th, 2018, 9:53 am

Nicely solved by the EWP deck again... however, for the topic: I just take notes on the quest map. As I print it freshly for each game there is no loss.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » April 20th, 2018, 6:55 pm

Jazzdrummer wrote:For some odd reason I'm having a real hard keeping track of who has searched a particular room. I know each hero can search a room once. Can anyone offer a suggestion on how to keep tabs on this? I would really appreciate it. :)

Spare skull tiles are generally plentiful. When a Hero searches a room for treasure, place a skull tile in the room so that it is oriented facing the respective player at the table. Now the room has a record of that Hero's treasure search for the rest of the Quest.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next

Return to Official Rules