• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Fighting in Doorways

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Fighting in Doorways

Postby Sknks » September 19th, 2017, 6:47 pm

Sknks wrote:I'm thinking maybe a time limit might work as well, force them to play a bit more aggressively
I had an EWP who used a real time restriction, I wasn't a fan. In game time bares no relation to real time. I don't think players should be penalised for answering the phone or going out for a smoke. :2cents:[/quote]

I wasn’t thinking a real time limit, but readjusting the quest that creates failure conditions if they do not complete in time. e.g. The chaos sorcerer summons a greater demon if you do not stop him within x turns. After figuring out a reasonable number.
Sknks

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Anderas » September 20th, 2017, 12:01 am

There was a star trek enterprise game that was delivered with a cassette.
You put the cassette into a player and started playing. Everybody had his mission, so you were running around in the ship, trying to get it working again.
Every now and then, the cassette would say things like "Hey you, there, who's turn it is: Report in to the bridge!" :lol: . Then you had to do what the cassette told you, before you could go on with the real mission. :lol: So, everybody was keen on playing as fast as possible and handing the dice to the next player to avoid this.

I don't see this in HQ, somehow. But it would be fun to try once. :D

Time limits can make every oh-so-simple mission complicated. Sure you can count the fields between entry and target room, divide by seven which would be the average number to roll, then add one turn for every small fight and two turns for every big fight you plan, and give it that as time limit to arrive somewhere.
But those time limits they can also kill the exploratory part of HQ when the players press on too much, and it could change the general feeling of the game. One of the critics on our only DESCENT successor is that it is a race all the time.

I would say, this is a nice thing to do once in a while, as you said, with some storyline behind: The cultist finish their evil ritual in the sacrifice chamber... No i am not working for Thantos i just like his models. :D

My personal time pressure comes from my Evil Wizard Deck. I adjusted the rate of cards drawn to just punish excess slowness. It's sufficient. They don't do slow turns anymore.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » September 20th, 2017, 7:28 am

Sknks wrote:I wasn’t thinking a real time limit, but readjusting the quest that creates failure conditions if they do not complete in time. e.g. The chaos sorcerer summons a greater demon if you do not stop him within x turns. After figuring out a reasonable number.
Ah I got ya, that's different. Gets an extra chaos spell per EWP that he isn't found would be a good one.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » September 20th, 2017, 1:42 pm

Like the doorway fix the time limit fix can be implemented in many ways.

I like a time limit in many ways. At the game table we are under real life time constraints and I would like to wrap up the dungeon before everyone goes home for the night.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » September 21st, 2017, 11:19 am

Anderas wrote:There was a star trek enterprise game that was delivered with a cassette.
You put the cassette into a player and started playing. Everybody had his mission, so you were running around in the ship, trying to get it working again.
Every now and then, the cassette would say things like "Hey you, there, who's turn it is: Report in to the bridge!" :lol: . Then you had to do what the cassette told you, before you could go on with the real mission. :lol: So, everybody was keen on playing as fast as possible and handing the dice to the next player to avoid this.

I have the Star Wars version of this. The aim is to destroy the Deathstar before it gets round the moon/planet to take its shot. The video graphic is the same as in the film, every now and then Darth Vader pops up.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » September 21st, 2017, 11:29 am

Gold Bearer wrote:I don't think it's cowardly, it's pragmatic. The idea is to survive.

You may have overstepped my intention. I did say earlier I have no problem with players doing it (why i believe it should be allowed). However, in theme, the coward comments would undoubtedly show their face simply from how we play. Think LoTR character banter.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby kyrrahn » November 13th, 2017, 1:15 am

Good thread. I hate it when heroes go all Seal Team 6 with crossbows
I want my Mummy :mummy:
kyrrahn

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » December 30th, 2017, 7:52 pm

Some other mods to help with door-guarding:

• Rather than replace a closed door with an open one, pivot it 90° into the room. This provides a block to Line of Sight that protects your monsters from crossbow fire. The open door can later be substituted after the room is entered.
  • Like fighting from within a pit trap, attacking from around a crowded door is handicapped. Heroes that attack diagonally through a door roll one less combat die when doing so.
  • Missile fire isn't possible from a diagonal position in a door guard as LoS is blocked by the central Hero and the door frame.
  • A teleport trap outside the door can force a Hero into the room and end his turn if he finishes his move at the door-guard position. Even if the other Heroes continue to door-guard, your back-line fighters can now attack the teleported Hero.
  • Rooms and corridors are dimly lit, so monsters remain unrevealed until a room or corridor section is entered.
  • Door-guarding breaks the simple turn order of Hero Quest by limiting M/Z actions. Reinstate balance on each Hero turn by allowing one monster that hasn't yet moved or attacked on M/Z's turn to do so.
  • The threat of a Wandering Monster patrol means your monsters can hold back for the Heroes to come to them.
  • Wandering Monster traps can be set in a room that was door-guarded to reintroduce an open, fair fight.
  • Veil of Mist as a Chaos spell gets a monster to the squishy Wizard behind the lines.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Gomcse » January 27th, 2018, 3:44 am

Yeah, this tactic has become frustrating. Good/experienced players are tough to beat. I've been thinking about having hidden floor doors open up so monsters pop up on the sides or in the halls to flank the heroes. Thanks to this thread I will consider using ranged weapons and diagonal attacks from the monsters.
Gomcse

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby MoJones304 » January 27th, 2018, 6:28 pm

There are a lot of ideas here to fix the most frustrating scenario in the game. Stacked doorway fighting. The best ideas that I have seen are requiring one hand to hold the door. Basically eliminating the option of using two-handed weapons and losing the defense dice from a shield, if equipped. I have also added several new monsters with abilities to attack diagonally or from a distance and some that can move past (thru) the heroes blocking the doorway. I also have a few door traps that affect all heroes in the same room or corridor.
MoJones304

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules