• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

How do you handle Fear vs Courage

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: How do you handle Fear vs Courage

Postby knightkrawler » June 30th, 2017, 3:22 am

The Admiral's argument was that, based on a regular hero attack of 3 attack dice
First Fear, then Courage = you attack with 3 attack dice
First Courage, then Fear = you attack with 3 attack dice, for some reason that I really really don't understand...

My argument was that the result may be different depending on the order.
First Courage, then Fear = you attack with 1 attack die
First Fear, then Courage= you attack with 3 attack dice

Fundamentally different views on how card effects are handled.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Decipher » June 30th, 2017, 3:54 am

knightkrawler wrote:The Admiral's argument was that, based on a regular hero attack of 3 attack dice
First Courage, then Fear = you attack with 3 attack dice, for some reason that I really really don't understand...

Yeah, your conclusion is exactly how I would make the play if the situation arises. As far as The Admiral being right too, I meant from that one statement of his I quoted, he is right, which in turn for that one statement, is exactly what you are saying. I always use the rule, play every card type in HQ exactly how the texts reads, of course with the effects of stacking. I think at times, it is easy to overthink some things in HQ. The rules are at times vague and too simple but in all my years, I've never had a situation come up where I could not resolve by consulting the rules or playing the cards exactly how they are written.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby slev » July 12th, 2018, 4:23 pm

I'm with KK on the order being relevent.

If the order where not relevant, we'd go back to secondary school, and remember "BODMAS" from maths class!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Stoner81 » July 12th, 2018, 8:39 pm

I deal with spell effects as they are cast so the order matters greatly.

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Big Bene » July 13th, 2018, 12:30 pm

I would agree that, strictly by the rules, KK is right and the spells stack in order of casting.
However, I can also understand the reasoning behind the Admiral's version.
knightkrawler wrote: for some reason that I really really don't understand...

Well, I don't believe you that one.

The Admiral just reasons that:
- spells stay in effect until the end as defined in the spell text, and
- stack "as is", i.e. at a given time you have a number of spells in effect, and all these spells stack, in the form they are at the time, in no particular order.
So, if you get First Courage, then Fear, as long as Courage hasn't ended (by seeing no monster), both spells are in effect and their effects stack as a "1" and a "plus 2".

I still think that the rules support the consecutive handling of the effects, so I'm with KK here, but I still can see the logic behind the other version.

Er, and, @Jafazo:
You won't get more than suggestions here. We do not write the rules of HQ. We interpret them. Suggestions.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Stoner81 » July 20th, 2018, 7:57 pm

Correct me if I am wrong but I swear that somewhere there was a thing stating this clarification that spells are dealt with in the order they are cast. I am sure it was in a magazine or some other publication I just can't recall where it was.

|_P |_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » July 20th, 2018, 8:01 pm

I don't think it needs to be clarified as it is common sense. It is simply how to play any game that uses cards like this.
You play a card, apply its effect. Another card is played, its effects applied. No need for clarification.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » July 21st, 2018, 4:28 am

Thanks for this clarification KK :D |_P :lol:

As always it depends on the player group. If you have heavy discussers then it might be nice to have something written somewhere to point your finger at.

For custom spells I also like to borrow from Magic the gathering with their system of casting in order, interrupted by instant spells...

The original HQ doesn't need it. Cast one by one, resolve in order of casting. If you need a reminder then stack the cards on top of each other.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » July 21st, 2018, 4:36 am

Anderas wrote:Thanks for this clarification KK :D |_P :lol:

Touché! |_P

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » July 22nd, 2018, 7:29 am

knightkrawler wrote:The Admiral's argument was that, based on a regular hero attack of 3 attack dice

By that logic you can't raise you defence dice with chainmail in the US version if you already have a shield or helmet, and if you have both it would lower it from fout to three.

Fear is a base stat of 1, courage raises it by 2 so you get three attack dice, it makes no difference what in order they're cast.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules