• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

How do you handle Fear vs Courage

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: How do you handle Fear vs Courage

Postby The Admiral » Saturday April 15th, 2017 1:54pm

knightkrawler wrote:Yeh, but not if first Courage and then Fear take effect.

I would still handle it the same. I see courage as +2 on the base. Whenever that base comes into effect. I have however never actually encountered this situation, either way, in my 25+ years of HQ.
The Admiral

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Postby knightkrawler » Saturday April 15th, 2017 2:04pm

I don't get it.
So you have 3 attack dice and are cast Courage on. You now have 5 attack dice.
Now you are cast Fear on, which tells you you have 1 attack die. Not -2, but 1 as an absolute number.

In other words, as opposed to "Courage", "Fear" doesn't care what your modifiers are. It takes all your modified attack dice to 1.
Still depends on the order in which you are affected.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » Saturday April 15th, 2017 2:19pm

I don't agree. Fear reduces you to 1 attack dice. Courage is a +2 on your attack dice, hence 3. It is just how I see it. Courage doesn't care what your base dice are, it just adds 2 to whatever they are.
The Admiral

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » Saturday April 15th, 2017 2:54pm

see all this debate when all you really need is a Game Masters ruling and stick with it

hence my take...they cancel each other out
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » Saturday April 15th, 2017 3:24pm

knightkrawler wrote:There's no cancelling each other as a given, but a cumulation of effect.
It depends on the order of the spells being cast:
a - first Fear, then Courage - 3 Attack Dice
b - first Courage, then Fear - 1 Attack die, which in this case means Fear does cancel out Courage

I do not see how rules would work any other way.
A spell is cast and takes effect as per its wording, then another is cast and takes effect as per its wording.

If Courage is broken before Fear, Fear still has effect: 1 Attack die.
If Fear is broken before Courage, Courage still takes effect: your "regular" Attack dice + 2.

This is exactly what I was gonna say |_P
Spells goes on the stack.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » Saturday April 15th, 2017 4:46pm

cynthialee wrote:see all this debate when all you really need is a Game Masters ruling and stick with it

hence my take...they cancel each other out

Totally agree. I either play solo, where I am the GM, or I play with my Brother, where the GM is me!
The Admiral

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Thursday June 29th, 2017 6:03pm

Jafazo wrote:I did some searching but didn't find anything concrete abut a ruling between these two. The YeOlde Inn's FAQ provides a suggestion but that's all it is, a suggestion. It's up to Zargon how these two spells resolve when conflicting with each other. . . .

Can you link this FAQ? The Inn's FAQ button is for site usage, as far as I know.

I also agree with KK's assessment, which I reached after reading the OP and checking p.7 of the Instruction Booklet:

Attack Dice
    They reflect the fighting power of the
    Hero's weapon. During the Quest, the
    Hero's attack strength will continually
    be changed by events (spells, combat, etc.).
'. . . continually be changed by events. . ." causes me to think the order of spells cast matters when judging their effects.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Decipher » Thursday June 29th, 2017 8:12pm

KnightKrawler and The Admiral are both right, it just depends on the order the spells are stacked.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Friday June 30th, 2017 12:35am

Decipher wrote:KnightKrawler and The Admiral are both right, it just depends on the order the spells are stacked.

But The Admiral argues that the order doesn't matter and the result of both spells being cast always has the same effect.
I argue that there's two different accumulated effects dependent on the order in which the spells are cast.
We can't possibly both be right.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Decipher » Friday June 30th, 2017 1:02am

The Admiral wrote:I don't agree. Fear reduces you to 1 attack dice. Courage is a +2 on your attack dice, hence 3. It is just how I see it. Courage doesn't care what your base dice are, it just adds 2 to whatever they are.
This is correct.

knightkrawler wrote:I don't get it.
So you have 3 attack dice and are cast Courage on. You now have 5 attack dice.
Now you are cast Fear on, which tells you you have 1 attack die. Not -2, but 1 as an absolute number.

In other words, as opposed to "Courage", "Fear" doesn't care what your modifiers are. It takes all your modified attack dice to 1.
Still depends on the order in which you are affected.
This is also correct. It simply depends on which is cast first. As to the argument that these two spells automatically cancel each other out for whatever reason, just because, is way beyond my logic and makes no sense.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules