• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Can several heroes own the same item?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Can several heroes own the same item?

Postby Goblin-King » Thursday March 30th, 2017 1:21pm

Gold Bearer wrote:
Goblin-King wrote:With limited equipment you'll alsoencounter paradoxes if the heroes has bought some of the equipment, but later finds gear in a quest.
This happens quite early with the spear.
I think equipment you find in the quests is in addition to the equipment cards. In Keller's Keep you find a crossbow and they're bound to have bought one by then, it must be meant to give them a second one.
I agree, but then the whole purpose of 1 card 1 item is kinda defeated.

Gold Bearer wrote:
Goblin-King wrote:Still I kinda prefer this method as it prevents all four heroes to pack almost the exact same gear. Also prevents 3 crossbows.
I prefer it for gameplay reasons but I don't like that it makes no sense.
Totally agree. It makes good gameplay. Not good sense |_P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Postby Jafazo » Thursday March 30th, 2017 6:59pm

I don't think I considered limiting the armory like that, interesting idea.
Jafazo

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » Thursday March 30th, 2017 7:24pm

Another option for the cards is to deal out a certain random amount of equipment that's available between each quest.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2454

Wanna learn martial arts? Check out my youtube channel, tutorials coming soon. By far my most popular video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie6BkN-3E

Gateway to higher dimensions - DMT, Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtT6Xkk-kzk

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby clmckay » Thursday March 30th, 2017 8:25pm

Gold Bearer wrote:Another option for the cards is to deal out a certain random amount of equipment that's available between each quest.

This is exactly what I do.

Probably not a good option if you only use the stock items - but - if you use a large variety of custom equipment it is awesome. A not oft considered perk of this system is that since not every conceivable type of equipment is available every time, heroes must decide whether to purchase an item immediately or to wait and see if better/different options are available next time. Combined with carry limits (make them choose their load out before the quest starts) this keeps things nicely balanced over extended numbers of quests. Knock off a hero every once in a while and you won't have to adjust difficulty on the fly very often.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Storm Master
Storm Master

Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » Thursday March 30th, 2017 10:45pm

Gold Bearer wrote:Another option for the cards

Is... when a hero searches a room with the armoury piece, pick a card at random.

knightkrawler wrote:The EU cards were intended for one card to represent one item.
The second edition having two shields and two helmets is proof for that.
The US version had the chart and everybody could buy everything, writing a list instead of building a card deck.

YES but this...

Gold Bearer wrote:The first edition had two shields and two helmets, the second replaced one shield and one helmet with the bracers and cloak of protection. ;)

cynthialee wrote:I kind of like it when they all have the same gear.

I don't. For me this would be boring. Each Hero has the same, no need for planning who has what or does what, that's a huge part of our games. Our armoury is a decent size, with out being too big and suits different players tastes. Each Hero also has a carry capacity linked to body points. No way could they each have everything or ever afford it.

Here is our Armoury. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqo ... nJCR1dob2s

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » Friday March 31st, 2017 4:38am

Also worth noting that the expanded character sheet in the Adventure Design Kit was to allow the same Heroes to have the same Equipment, without being limited by the Equipment Cards.

For what it's worth, changing the available equipment/eapons/potions and their prices is one of the most common adjustments. I certainly did it, especially for my "advanced game" option!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Archmage
Archmage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Friday March 31st, 2017 4:58am

My equipment deck has 3 short swords, 6 daggers, 1 battleaxe, 1 potion of healing, 3 shields, 2 helmets, and so on...
You'll get the gist. The point is: 1 card = 1 specimen, simultaneously introducing limits by amounts.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » Friday March 31st, 2017 2:49pm

I make players roll for stock, some items are rare, they ask to buy it roll a d6. It's all on the armoury linked above. If they roll well it's overstocked, discounted or the sweet talked the shop keeper. Gives an extra use to a certain potion too.

I don't change prices, trying to keep as much of the original intact as possible.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby WizKid » Saturday April 1st, 2017 10:24am

knightkrawler wrote:My equipment deck has 3 short swords, 6 daggers, 1 battleaxe, 1 potion of healing, 3 shields, 2 helmets, and so on...
You'll get the gist. The point is: 1 card = 1 specimen, simultaneously introducing limits by amounts.

This is a really good idea. I bought my third base game this week (two regular and an advanced quest) which makes it possible. I think I might combine it with a limited stock in the armory too.
WizKid

Hero:

Postby Gold Bearer » Saturday April 1st, 2017 12:22pm

mitchiemasha wrote:
Gold Bearer wrote:Another option for the cards
Is... when a hero searches a room with the armoury piece, pick a card at random.
I do that a lot as a quest note rather than an actual rule.

If you happen to own Dungeon Quest there's a really handy crypt deck and a corpse deck if you find a corpse in the crypt and I think all those cards a compatible with HQ as written if I remember right.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2454

Wanna learn martial arts? Check out my youtube channel, tutorials coming soon. By far my most popular video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie6BkN-3E

Gateway to higher dimensions - DMT, Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtT6Xkk-kzk

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules