Genie air spell use

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Genie air spell use

Postby Theduckofdeath » Sunday April 2nd, 2017 1:22pm

We have a casted, uncasted, and dead spell piles for the cards. What would your suggestion for an artifact,card be?
Theduckofdeath

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby sajungzak » Sunday April 2nd, 2017 1:53pm

I use a single discard pile for everyone at the table. It is for used spells/scrolls, potions, gold out of the treasure deck, etc. Each player has their own "hand" with unused spells and artifacts and such.

I've actually taken it a bit further. I made cards for the weapons and armor. Players lay the cards for what the Hero is using face up while cards that are face down or in hand represent items the Hero is carrying. Like their backpack, if you will.
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Jafazo » Sunday April 2nd, 2017 3:47pm

Theduckofdeath wrote:We have a casted, uncasted, and dead spell piles for the cards. What would your suggestion for an artifact,card be?

Artifacts don't need a discard pile. Artifacts stay with players, turn them sideways when used (Like being 'Tapped' in Magic the Gathering). Destroyed artifacts go back to Morcar's stack of artifacts. Easy peasy.
Jafazo

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Wednesday July 5th, 2017 4:20pm

Theduckofdeath wrote:Thanks for replies very helpful! On a side note we have also tried nerfing the wizard in the following way: he may cast a spell twice per quest if he rolls a combat die. Skull = recast spell and lose 1 mind point. White shield = recast spell lose 0 mind points. Black shield = -1 mind point and no recast.

Daedalus wrote:That mild buff is worth about 2-3 bonus spells that could easily be incorporated into an Artifact Card. How do you track the spells in this recasting?

Theduckofdeath wrote:We have a casted, uncasted, and dead spell piles for the cards. What would your suggestion for an artifact,card be?

OK, it was't that easy, but here is that Artifact Card:

Wizard's Headband.
This golden circlet can be used only
by the Wizard, giving him the power to recast magic. Place cast spells across this card. To cast a spell again,
discard it and roll a combat die:

Roll black shield = lose 1 Mind Point
Roll skull = cast spell, lose 1 Mind Point
Roll white shield = cast spell.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » Thursday July 6th, 2017 4:17pm

Jafazo wrote:I used to use the Genie spell like normal but it got boring so I tweaked it up by ruling that casting it simply caused a small Genie to appear and would grant the Wizard a wish. I limited the wish and never had a problem with it getting out of hand and it made the Wizard much more enjoyable and flexible.

Not a bad idea.
Gotta do something for that spell. Oh yay...the Wizard gets 1 single attack per quest with 5 whole dice. And at my table that spell gets played and I have seen it whiff and hard so many times. And even when a skull or two is rolled it is almost a sure thing that a Black Shield will pop up on the defense roll. It is almost like a cursed spell at our table. Rarely does it effect the course of events. Basic scene that plays out...Wizard holds onto Genie until something really tough, or the boss fight if there is one because it has the theoretical ability to land more damage than other options. But when the dice is rolled we see a bunch of shields and 1 skull. The Boss or tough monster only needs 1 Black Shield. Of course the spell was saved for the toughest monster and that monster has the most defend dice in the dungeon for a monster. Of course a Black Shield is rolled.

Biggest waste of a spell in so many ways. Be better to save it for door duty.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous