• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Short Sword & Broadsword [NA / UK / GR Versions]

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Short Sword & Broadsword [NA / UK / GR Versions]

Postby StratosVX » Tuesday June 7th, 2016 1:35pm

Goblin-King wrote:I never realized the short sword didn't attack diagonally in NA?!?

I'm surprised any version of the short sword allows you to attack diagonally. That doesn't make sense to me.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Postby Gold Bearer » Tuesday June 7th, 2016 4:19pm

StratosVX wrote:I'm surprised any version of the short sword allows you to attack diagonally. That doesn't make sense to me.
It's because it's a STABBY weapon! All the weapons that can attack diagonally are thrusting weapons, even the staff.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2454

Wanna learn martial arts? Check out my youtube channel, tutorials coming soon. By far my most popular video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie6BkN-3E

Gateway to higher dimensions - DMT, Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtT6Xkk-kzk

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » Tuesday June 7th, 2016 4:41pm

Gold Bearer wrote:
StratosVX wrote:I'm surprised any version of the short sword allows you to attack diagonally. That doesn't make sense to me.
It's because it's a STABBY weapon! All the weapons that can attack diagonally are thrusting weapons, even the staff.

That makes a certain amount of sense.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Tuesday June 7th, 2016 4:58pm

Goblin-King wrote:
Gold Bearer wrote:

That makes a certain amount of sense.

It got explained to me that way, too. And it does make sense.
With a short sowrd you poke the pointy end roughly in front of you to add the length of the weapon to the length of your arm. Longer swords, most of the time, are used in an angle to the arm in swiping motion, making use of the entire length of the blade when the cut hits.
Poking vs. cutting, that is.
I just prefer the shortsword to not grant diagonal because it is really just the starting weapon for some heroes. I want 2 AD without any further bonus as a starting weapon. I highly doubt that they will ever buy it.
Especially because I've made the spear so awesome.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » Tuesday June 7th, 2016 5:10pm

Nope... we've discussed this before and i'm still not accepting it... Stabby weapon! Nope!!! NO, NO!!!

Not sure what's happened with the Greek Version and yes it does seem pointless to buy a 2d6 weapon... Simple fix, make it dual wieldable, you now have 2.

(edit: it was likely the initial idea in the UK version but they ditched it for US, i just don't like it, devalues the spear).
Last edited by mitchiemasha on Tuesday June 7th, 2016 5:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Tuesday June 7th, 2016 5:18pm

mitchiemasha wrote:It was likely the initial idea in the UK version but they ditched it for US, i just don't like it, devalues the spear).

Exactly. Kinda my plan for a new skill/special rule. Dual Wield=Shortsword w/o diagonal worthwhile.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » Tuesday June 7th, 2016 5:19pm

The whole price vs usefulness is a complete mess. I honestly don't think a lot of thought went into it...

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » Tuesday June 7th, 2016 5:29pm

knightkrawler wrote:Exactly. Kinda my plan for a new skill/special rule. Dual Wield=Shortsword w/o diagonal worthwhile.

Including Orcs bane?

How would you do the dual? make it 2 attacks or roll 4d6? I went for 2 attacks.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » Tuesday June 7th, 2016 5:35pm

knightkrawler wrote:It got explained to me that way, too. And it does make sense.
With a short sowrd you poke the pointy end roughly in front of you to add the length of the weapon to the length of your arm. Longer swords, most of the time, are used in an angle to the arm in swiping motion, making use of the entire length of the blade when the cut hits.
Poking vs. cutting, that is.
Long swords are designed for thrusting as well, like rapiers. The extra width of a broadsword makes it much worse for thrusting but good at slicing because the extra weight is what allows it to cut through bone. Katanas are the ultimate sword. They cut so well because of their design and the way they're sharpened as well as the skill of a swordsman who knows how to use one, they're light and perfectly balanced but designed to by used two handed to make the most of their sharpness. The most destructive strike is the push/pull where the movement of the hands exaggerates the motion of the blade as it swipes in a wide arc, it can easily cut an unarmoured person clean in half. I've got katanas set as six attack dice in my rules because I didn't want them to be so much better than anything else but to be realistic it should be eight at the very lest as well as a minus on defence dice.

knightkrawler wrote:I just prefer the shortsword to not grant diagonal because it is really just the starting weapon for some heroes. I want 2 AD without any further bonus as a starting weapon. I highly doubt that they will ever buy it.
Especially because I've made the spear so awesome.
It's only specified that they start with short swords in the US version. I've just made standard swords and axes attack with two dice with no special rules.

mitchiemasha wrote:Nope... we've discussed this before and i'm still not accepting it... Stabby weapon! Nope!!! NO, NO!!!
That's not an argument, that's a nothing. All the diagonal weapons ARE the thrusting weapons, it's that simple. This changed in the US version, which is why my daggers (non throwable) and knives (throwable) can attack diagonally.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2454

Wanna learn martial arts? Check out my youtube channel, tutorials coming soon. By far my most popular video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie6BkN-3E

Gateway to higher dimensions - DMT, Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtT6Xkk-kzk

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » Tuesday June 7th, 2016 5:42pm

Gold Bearer wrote:That's not an argument, that's a nothing.

I know, I wasn't making one, simply saying I don't accept it. Not now and NEVER, lol!

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules