• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Spell Selection

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Spell Selection

Postby Koren_nRhys » May 28th, 2010, 12:42 pm

Back again with another question, now that I've finished re-reading the rulebook. Phoenix's Master rulebook, actually.

So, the obvious intent of the game to is keep your character alive through a series of quests, buying stuff in between, hiring mercenaries, etc. Does it make sense to have the Wizard and Elf pick new spell groups at the beginning of each quest? Shouldn't a given character pick his group at creation (i.e. his first quest) then keep those spells his entire career? Am I missing something? What do you guys typically do?

Thanks!
Koren_nRhys

Skeleton
Skeleton

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Spell Selection

Postby el_flesh » May 28th, 2010, 3:26 pm

Dispense with those crappy spells altogether and follow something alot more in line with D&D...
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daniel Anteron » May 28th, 2010, 4:53 pm

Koren_nRhys wrote:Back again with another question, now that I've finished re-reading the rulebook. Phoenix's Master rulebook, actually.

So, the obvious intent of the game to is keep your character alive through a series of quests, buying stuff in between, hiring mercenaries, etc. Does it make sense to have the Wizard and Elf pick new spell groups at the beginning of each quest? Shouldn't a given character pick his group at creation (i.e. his first quest) then keep those spells his entire career? Am I missing something? What do you guys typically do?

Thanks!

Well, if you're wanting to keep using those spells I usually allow them to pick which spells they want during each actual gaming session. Not after every quest though. When we first meet I'll ask the elf and wizard which spells they want, and then they'll keep them for the rest of the day. That's what I do.
Daniel Anteron

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » May 29th, 2010, 1:03 am

In the last year, playing more than one Quest at a time was a rare treat, so the Elf and Wizard players always chose their spells before the Quest. Before when there was more time in everyone's busy schedule to play several in a row... yeah, they always chose again before each Quest. I see the logic of them sticking with what they would have learnt in the beginning, but I find it fun when they decide to choose different spells. Everyone has unique tactics and it changes the dynamic of the party a bit.

Lately however, I've been fumbling with the idea of allowing the Wizard to choose three sets and the Elf one, but not limiting them to one of each type. If they are both capable of learning all the elements, but only have a set number of 'spell slots' in their memory, who's to say the Elf and Wizard can't both choose Earth? I think it would be interesting if they actually played with the ability to choose from any elemental set. Two Genies? Mayhaps that Wizard would actually use one before a potential boss shows up. I'm anxious to try it out when the chance arises.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Koren_nRhys » May 29th, 2010, 11:46 pm

Thanks for the ideas. Sounds like you do repick - interesting. I guess I'm looking at it from a RPG point-of-view where you've got a long-term character you're developing. If you're playing the occasional session of HQ it's probably irrelevant. Now, if you use advancement rules (like Phoenix's or something similar) it may change things.

@el_flesh: Have you done conversions of the basic D&D spell lists? If one were to use the old Classic D&D, it's a relatively small list and you could still cherry pick it. With the card maker program it's pretty easy to whip something up.

@drathe: That certainly makes sense to me. In realist terms, there's no good reason not to let them pick the same spell groups if they wanted to. It seems to me that the players would only be limiting themselves, but they'll learn that quickly enough in play, I bet. No doubt the designer's intention was to get all four spell groups into play for maximum variety. It likely isn't an issue if you add more groups. The elf spell cards, or the schools of magic from Warhammer.
Koren_nRhys

Skeleton
Skeleton

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daniel Anteron » May 30th, 2010, 12:27 am

Here's a set of optional rules that has some new spells and such in them:
http://theminiaturespage.com/rules/fan/hqsupp.html
Daniel Anteron

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby el_flesh » May 30th, 2010, 6:16 pm

Uhhhh no - we let our DM make up his own spell set! He's been working on his own roleplaying game since he was a teen...about 20 years!
We just write down what spells we have and what we use.
He's constantly tweaking the stats and attributes anyway.

Makes it alot more dynamic and fun...
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Koren_nRhys » May 30th, 2010, 11:48 pm

Hmm, some interesting stuff there Daniel, thanks! I have to admit that I've never been great at creating totally original stuff for any game I've played. I'm much better suited to seeing what others have done, cherry-picking, and putting together a set of supplemental or house rules that suit my needs and tastes. That's why forums like this, and the suggestions I find, are so great.
Koren_nRhys

Skeleton
Skeleton

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daniel Anteron » May 31st, 2010, 2:51 am

Koren_nRhys wrote:Hmm, some interesting stuff there Daniel, thanks! I have to admit that I've never been great at creating totally original stuff for any game I've played. I'm much better suited to seeing what others have done, cherry-picking, and putting together a set of supplemental or house rules that suit my needs and tastes. That's why forums like this, and the suggestions I find, are so great.

Not a problem my friend. Make sure to go here so you can actually get the new spell cards you want. I made them all:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=348&p=2078#p2078
Daniel Anteron

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby el_flesh » May 31st, 2010, 8:48 am

After 20 years of Hero Questing, there's just SO much material available online!

I think I might get my artist cousin to create a new board...

Rewards:
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Official Rules